Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Ok can we talk about DRUM carders, hand cards, and
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  10:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can try the dog combs....
bernie wouldn't let me use the card
you can use the slickers
http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/large/i/inP0/inP017944large_dd13.jpg

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  12:11:02 PM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
strauch has half size(s) too... in case

Pugknits
The Fiber Denn

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:06:56 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I talked about the hand carders enough that my husband just ordered me a pair! When I got up Sunday morning there was a note on top of my laptop with a picture of them. And then this morning he tells me he ordered me three books that I've been looking at - "Spinning Designer Yarns" and "Color in Spinning" plus another one about spinning, dyeing and weaving! (Does this mean I should start researching weaving??)

He's my biggest enabler - he's the one who finds fiber and orders it for me. He ordered me the superwash in two colors and then ordered the nylon to blend with it (but I've now decided not to make socks with it - there's so much of it that I'm going to combine the colors and use it for a bigger project). On the way to work this morning, he mentioned stopping in the LYS and getting some fleece to experiment with when the carders come. Oh, and then there were the spinning wheel earrings I got a few days ago.....lots of surprises all the time....sorry, but I just have to brag about him!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time cause I'm in a hurry...
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  3:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you are going to like that designer yarn book
I got it used
and I really like it
I am carrying that and twisted sisters around......
( and a 4 season garden book) like a security blanket

vi

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  3:35:00 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you love the Twisted Sisters book? It and the Hand Spinning one are always right next to the wheel. Oh, and I dug out the Ashford (Amos Ashford? is that right??) one, too -- I'm reading everything I can on plying before I actually DO it. They make it sound sooooooo easy.

azblue
So much to learn, so little time cause I'm in a hurry...
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  3:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am plying impaired
but I keep trying
vi

Go to Top of Page

Davy
Warming Up

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  11:45:51 PM  Show Profile Send Davy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello folks, here is some more info about carding and tools to blend fibre. I have decided to leave the drum carder for now and go for the Pat Greene Triple Picker to clean and blend my fibre. So I took a chance and wrote to the owner of the site. Nice pictures of the eqipment she uses on the opening page. These are what initially caught my attention.

The e-mail is below, cut n pasted from her reply to me, and this is the link to her site. Jenny is her name.

http://homepage.mac.com/beesknees/bkwebpage/equipment.html

This was very kind of her as I told her that I was not a potential customer what I wanted was purely info on the picker and the Strauch 405 and could not find the info I was looking for anywhere, could she help.
Hi Davy,
How nice to hear from you!

The Triple Picker would work very well for your purposes. It opens the locks, removes detritus, and blends whatever colors you’re using together. I am very pleased with it. Generally, I run my dyed wool through the picker twice – twice is good when you have more than one color, so as to avoid over-blending of color, resulting in “muddy” colors. If you’re using only one color, more runs through the picker removes more detritus and better opening of locks. You can also use the picker to blend various fibers together – wool, alpaca, silk, angelina etc etc. Then you can spin directly from the picked fiber, resulting in a nicely textured yarn.

The Strauch 405 is a very nice carder, better suited for rougher blends of fiber to result in textured yarns. I especially like the brush attachment on top, as it helps push the fibers onto the drum. The intake drum is different from other carders in that it has little “blades” for teeth (rather than the normal tine-like teeth most drum carders have). The fiber doesn’t “pile up” on this intake drum as it does on other carders, depositing most of the fibers on the large drum. This makes it much easier to clean the intake drum between batches of fiber.

The Pat Green Supercard is very good for smooth fiber blends resulting in smooth yarns. Plus it’s electric, so I don’t have to pause to crank the handle! But, it is harder to clean between batches of fiber, as a lot of waste fiber ends up on the intake drums. But it does a much better job of carding and distributing the fibers evenly across the batt. Whereas the Strauch carder doesn’t distribute the fibers as evenly, leaving lumpier areas where like fibers “clump” together.

I do know a few other fiber artists who use the Triple Picker, and it is indispensable for them as well.

Good luck, and thanks for writing!
Jenny

As you can see by Jenny's kind reply why I have decided to go the picker route first, and get a drum carder later, I have a set of hand carders to be going on with just now. That the picker is only slightly dearer than the Strauch 405 from Germany is a bonus, the only downside is the delivery time from the US is 8 to 10 weeks:-(

Davy.
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  01:26:55 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Davy, some spinning Guilds have a drum carder or other equipment that you can hire out for a nominal fee. The Edinburgh Guild certainly does....and has a huge library of spinning, weaving and other craft books as well.

Val.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Davy
Warming Up

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  02:16:20 AM  Show Profile Send Davy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Val, I am still trying to find out about the Fife spinning guild, not sure if it's still in existance. I got a contact through the Forfar guild, still waiting for a reply. I'll join the Edinburgh guild if I have no joy with the Fife one.

Davy.
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  06:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like a a copy (via email).
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  11:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are the only folks who are going to understand...I just bought a drum carder.

I have been handcombing and just dying to try all kinds of color blending -- the Color in Spinning book is wonderful -- and found a new one on eBay. Might come back to haunt me, I suppose, since it is not a brand I have heard of before (Van der Have, from the Netherlands) but it was also cheaper than anything I could find here in the US, especially since I had a 10% off eBay coupon. Coarse cloth. Wish me luck!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  12:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
darlink.......congrads......
where do you live again?
( is it within driving from pa?.......the pocono's???)

when is it arriving

vi
~digging furiously through her boxes of fibers

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats, roberta. My DH got me one from Ebay but I haven't used it yet. Well, I put a little bit of fiber through it just cause I couldn't stand not having used it yet and boy, are they hard to turn! (My DH said I put too much into it which is probably true...I'll try it again with a little less.) Originally I wanted to blend colors but ended up using hand carders for that and since I got the drumcarder, I haven't had anything to blend and I don't have any raw fleece yet.

azblue
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  1:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
azblue dear......
send it to me
I got a ton to blend
hahaha
oye
vi
ps: carole's turned fast........you do have too much fiber if it is hard to turn

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vi, ohmygosh, I am in Pennsylvania!!!!!! Right smack in the middle of the state in State College [:00] C'mon over, we can have a carding party!

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  3:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one of my cousins goes to school there

when you going to the mannings next
cause my spin group is planning a little side trip

Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  3:43:56 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by azblueskies

boy, are they hard to turn! (My DH said I put too much into it which is probably true...I'll try it again with a little less.)

Try it again with a LOT less. You feed it a lock at a time, otherwise the teeth will jam and bend and rip out and you`ll have one knackered drum carder.

(Becky, I sent you the scanned article.)

Val.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  5:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, Vi, I just took an intermediate spinning seminar at the Mannings with Tom Knisely. I am trying to figure out how to move in. Might just pitch a tent there next to the stream. When are you going?

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  6:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in april or the end of may
my spin group is planning on a trip
so that one of our members can try wheels

btw, we indoctrinated pieheart.....she is now one of us
hahahahaha
oye

vi

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  07:24:17 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Val, someone told me to make a "sandwich" if I want to blend fibers......a layer of wool, then whatever I'm blending with it, then another layer of wool. I have some wool that I wanted to blend with some nylon (the wool is prepared - not locks). Is this something I can do with the drumcarder?

Vi, bring your fiber and we can card outside this weekend. It's supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow.

azblue
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth