Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Ok can we talk about DRUM carders, hand cards, and
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

lesleyluu
Warming Up

83 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  12:39:42 PM  Show Profile Send lesleyluu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to barge into this thread too much, but I'm looking for advice about wool combs (as well as looking to purchase some). If I'm interested in combing mostly fine wools such as cormo and merino (my drum carder didn't do well with the cormo) and I will only be combing a few fleeces a year, what type of combs would people suggest? Would mini double-row combs be sufficient for what I intend or would I need larger combs or 4 or 5 pitch? I have storage space issues and children/pets.

And if anyone happens to have some they're looking to sell or trade, please pm me!
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  04:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Traditionally, English wool combs were used with fibres over 4 inches long - the merino I have is much shorter and I couldn't possbible comb it with my 5-pitch combs. I'm not sure whether combing is the best preparation method for fine fleeces, but you would always try with a metal hair or dog comb, before you invest into anything more expensive. What make of drumcarder do you have?

Happy spinning! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

lesleyluu
Warming Up

83 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile Send lesleyluu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Strauch Petite. The cormo is so fine and prone to neps that it doesn't come out smooth on the carder or on my hand cards. I've had a lot of luck with using a dog slicker and a dog rake, but it is slow going and I think maybe 2 or 4 pitch mini combs would be better for this job.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  04:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe somebody who has the same carder could jump in with some tricks to improve its performance for super-fine fibres?

Combing is never a fast process, not even with 4-pitch combs. By the way, I think 4-pitch mini-combs don't exist (or do they?) And I'm not sure whether big English combs would give an exellent result with such a fine fibre - they aren't designed to handle it as the English breeds that have the necessary staple length have coarser wool. At a demonstration yesterday I tried dog-combing some short fibres (while explaining that it's a lot of work for very little wool) and I was quite surprised by the nice result I got (so much so that I'll definitely attach the longer wool in my attic with them). I believe in your case the best two choices are either to continue with your dog slicker and rake for a nice, smooth yarn (probably spun ultra-fine to make it last longer - well, that's what I would do), or to make a feature of the neps and spin a bumpy yarn from a carded preparation (which might be prone to pilling, though). Or, third solution, try to find somebody who has 4-pitch combs and ask them whether you can try them with your wool. I wouldn't buy them on spec, they are just too expensive (and I've never really used mine because every time I tried them I felt I lost too much fibre).

Good luck! Klara

Go to Top of Page

lesleyluu
Warming Up

83 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  08:09:11 AM  Show Profile Send lesleyluu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice! I've been reading a lot about the mini combs, and the 2 pitch ones are suggested for finer wools. They also are a lot less expensive. It is still going to take a while before I have any spending money, so I'll be continuing with the dog slicker and rake for a while. But I'd like to try the mini combs, and I figure that if they don't work on my current fleeces, there will be fleeces in the future that they will work for.

I tried to live with the neps and do a lumpy yarn, but since it wasn't my original intention, I didn't like it too much. I do have plenty of shorter cuts and neps that I'm combing out and my plan for that is to run it through the carder and make something bumpy on purpose.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  12:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan! Actually, that reminds me, I don't have any minicombs yet...

Happy spinning! Klara

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  12:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a PG triple picker, and I really like it. I could definitely spin what comes out of the picker, but unless you like yarn with a little texture, or you're drafting it out very thinly, it will still need to be carded. It's great for opening up matted fiber, and for color blending. I also use it when the fleeces have a lot of VM, it really works well to get a lot of that out.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  12:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(I'm catching up after a long weekend away)

I have a Strauch drum carder, and the way that I am able to card fine fibers without nepping is to pick well, card only a very small amount of fiber at a time, and turn the handle very, VERY slowly. It's such a temptation to crank the handle, especially when daydreaming, but that just creates more nepping.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

stseraphina
Chatty Knitter

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  3:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit stseraphina's Homepage Send stseraphina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm selling my Petite (two months old!) because I'm just doing so much carding it is inadequate for my needs. It's a great little carder, but I'm doing full fleeces and needing pounds of carded wool, not just a project here and there.

It's the factory-assembled Petite, with brush attachment, like new (except for a few little fluffs!) with all tools, etc. Contact me if you're interested!

stseraphinaknits@msn.com

"You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd." Flannery O'Connor
Go to Top of Page

yayoe
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  11:00:48 AM  Show Profile Send yayoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Fiberfriends.

I'm about to buy a drum carder and am leaning towards the Strauch Petite for financial, amount of use foreseen, and minor space issues.

Before I hit the "buy now" button, I would still like to hear some feedback from anyone who has experience with a Fancy Kitty or Kitten carder. The price of the Kitten is very good, and I've seen lots of praise for the gorgeous looks of the more expensive Kitty, but how well do they work to card fleeces? I will be doing some blending and carding of prepared fiber, but I will definitely want to card fleeces. Doing Cormo by hand now.

Thanks for any feedback!
Go to Top of Page

dj524
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  8:40:51 PM  Show Profile Send dj524 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read through this thread and was hoping someone had experience with the David carder by the Howard Brush company. It has 3 drums and is supposed to process the fiber with fewer passes through the carder. My spinning teacher has a PG supercarder with 3 drums and really likes that. Any insight...?

Donna
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  3:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i can't believe this thread is still going

i still haven't gotten me a drum carder
although i am hoping i am closer to getting one

i have a ton of fleeces to process
oye

maybe i should take myself and my fleeces and go see shelia?

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with goat, sheep, ducks & chickens!
Go to Top of Page

sksspinner
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  05:29:08 AM  Show Profile Send sksspinner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this post but would like to add my 2 cents!

Just about 3 weeks ago, I bought a Kitten drum carder from Ron Anderson. IT IS AWESOME!! I wanted quality but didn't want to spend all my money - what would I buy fiber with?! I've put it to the test since I'm creating chunky, funky art yarn type batts full of stuff. When I had questions prior to and after buying, Ron was great with email responses and suggestions. I'm having a great time with it and highly reccommend it.

sks
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  08:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes, please load'em up and come visit, Vi!

Sorry, I don't have any comments about the David drum carder or the Kitten, though I can put in a good word for the Strauch carders and the Patrick Green electric carders. If you're going to be processing whole fleeces I would save up and go for an electric. I've tested the new Strauch electric and it s very nice, just wasn't available when I got my PG. Hand cranking is fine for color blending and small amounts of wool, but processing large amounts is a LOT of arm strain.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  7:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you're doing fleece, I think the electric Strauch is better than the PG. Unless you're doing mostly fine fibers. The PG is really set up for fine fibers and blending. I think the Strauch is great for working fleece, especially those that aren't really fine. JMO

amy
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com/wp
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  06:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think i am just coming out to your house shelia
i will have 6 tunis fleeces.....(whole not even skirted)
and two bfl fleeces.......the same way
oh man

i really need to start to spin more
or i gotta send it all OUT to be spun

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with goat, sheep, ducks & chickens!
Go to Top of Page

myraspinstoo
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  05:03:55 AM  Show Profile Send myraspinstoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the drum carder questions still prevail. i am in the market for a drum carder. since the newest post in this thread is 2 years old, i thought i would ask the question again. which drum carder is the better one for carding not so fine fiber. i have some unwashed alpaca which i would like to card, but mostly i can see myself blending . i really like bfl and would probably be blending it with other stuff bamboo, silk etc. thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

lisaandjo
New Pal

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  12:53:03 AM  Show Profile Send lisaandjo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
92ppi on lge drum, 72 on lickerin works for me, handles alpaca, that's been through a picker, merino and coarser greasy wool,that's been degreased, In a top loader, in (washing bags) cold water, 1/2 cup of truckwash, soaked for an hour or so, spun, rinsed twice cold, and spun only, NO AGITATION, it may start to felt, air dried on a rack, homemade, plastic coated 1/2"square wire mesh, fluffed on the picker. Card on! ... ... of course!

andgeoff
Go to Top of Page

oldhaus
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  2:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit oldhaus's Homepage  Send oldhaus a Yahoo! Message Send oldhaus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an ON GOING topic it seems...

I have & love my Patrick Green "Li'l Deb" ultra fine tooth carder!

I use it for my Angora fibers & it's wonderful, especially with a nice Giant Angora fleece.

2-3 ounces (4 max) is what I can pack on the drum, makes wonderful 24" batts

"IMHO" in my humble opinion...

JLH

Oldhaus Fibers
Angora yarn & wool

Amana, Iowa USA
www.oldhaus.net
Go to Top of Page

oldhaus
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  2:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit oldhaus's Homepage  Send oldhaus a Yahoo! Message Send oldhaus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, My Patrick Green Triple Picker is a wonderful tool!
It does take the "pasture" out of most any fiber (well, the bison was even much for it!) ha ha ha haaa

I sometimes will run the nastiest fiber through a 2nd time and it really does open up most fibers.

Just keep your hands clear! It is a great tool to have!

Joel...

quote:
Originally posted by Shelia

(I'm catching up after a long weekend away)

I have a Strauch drum carder, and the way that I am able to card fine fibers without nepping is to pick well, card only a very small amount of fiber at a time, and turn the handle very, VERY slowly. It's such a temptation to crank the handle, especially when daydreaming, but that just creates more nepping.

Shelia

Oldhaus Fibers
Angora yarn & wool

Amana, Iowa USA
www.oldhaus.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly