Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Needle Felting
 Needle felting on top of another piece?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pressly
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  4:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit pressly's Homepage Send pressly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, I am machine knitting a purse that will be a solid knit background on top of which I want to needle felt some circles from roving and then do a bobble middle (maybe) question is.... Should I needle felt the roving into the pre-felted knitted fabric or felt the background fabric first, then needle felt into that (and felt the whole thing again...?)

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  4:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would felt the fabric, then needle felt on top of that.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  10:22:32 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd felt the fabric first then needle felt. You can then felt the whole thing again if you want, but you really do not have to.
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd felt the fabric first also. I've done it and it works great.
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  06:06:46 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hello,
i am pretty new to felting in general and wanted to know how to actually add needle felting on top of something you've knit and washing machine felted. (actually i have never needle felted either) I've only been able to find books/online info on just using needle felting - nothing that really goes into the nitty gritty of putting something on top of another already felted project. Can anyone recommend a good book or website or describe for a novice to all this how you actually do it in detail? I'd really appreciate it.
[meow]

peace, JW
iphotos:http://web.mac.com/suziew96/iWeb/Site/
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how informative this will be, but this is a fairly detailed post I made on LJ about how I needle-felted a Celtic knot onto a knitted felted purse.

http://community.livejournal.com/knitting/7220865.html

I used wool yarn to make the knot but you could use roving to fill in big areas, too. It's really not hard, just put it against a stab-able backing and start stabbing it. :-)
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  09:14:38 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow Bethany! I LOVE your designs! thanks so much for that - i just saved the whole thing as a pdf file so i don't lose it (I now save everything i really like because once i just added a bookmark to a photo of a knitted bunny someone made and then one day i clicked on the link and it was GONE!
pouf!
thanks again - i'm going to see what i can do with that when i get back home (i'm on the road for a few days). oh boy this is going to be fun!

peace, JW
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bethany

I don't know how informative this will be, but this is a fairly detailed post I made on LJ about how I needle-felted a Celtic knot onto a knitted felted purse.

http://community.livejournal.com/knitting/7220865.html

I used wool yarn to make the knot but you could use roving to fill in big areas, too. It's really not hard, just put it against a stab-able backing and start stabbing it. :-)

Hi Bethany,
tried sending you a PM but maybe it didn't work - hope you read this at some point -
anyway, just wondering if you remember what size felting needles you used and which kind (star or triangular) - I've been looking online to figure what kind of felting needles to buy but am not sure - I might try the size 38 or 40 and maybe get a holder of some kind..
also, I'm wondering if it's better to needle felt on parts of a bag or whatever which would not get a lot of direct use - i mean, i was thinking of trying to needle felt on the strap of a bag but perhaps that isn't the greatest idea since the needle felted yarn would get too much handling...
thanks in advance - or if anyone else has some experience with this/ideas, i would really appreciate any thoughts...

peace, JW
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:22:40 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did, sorry I haven't responded. I think the needles I used are 38 star needles, which I like because I think they felt faster than the triangular kind and make smaller holes than the 36's, but I don't think it really matters much. I really haven't sat down and explored the effects of the different needle types yet. Often you can get them in little "assortment packs" which can be fun.

I personally don't use a holder when I'm only working with one needle at a time. When needle-felting yarn on I found no advantage to using multiple needles at once, thus no holder. For felting on a big area of fleece using multiple needles at once (and thus a holder) might be useful.

I don't know about the strap thing. If the thing is pretty firmly felted on I should think it would be reasonably durable. If you don't mind loosing some sharpness you could wet-felt the surface afterwards to felt the needle-felted additions more firmly into the surface of the bag.
Go to Top of Page

glassbuttons
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  4:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit glassbuttons's Homepage Send glassbuttons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love to needle felt!! Wish that I had more time to do it!
The neatest thing about it is that it's so simple....and you can add to it later if you wish to.
I love the purse that Bethany did. The tutorial is great!!
I am a great believer of just getting in there and seeing what happens. I have even taken things off that I didn't like. The end results of needle felting are so beautiful!

SheilaE
www.glasspens.com/buttons.html http://www.glassnut.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.