Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 How much would you spend on a wheel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Anepasor
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  6:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anepasor's Homepage Send Anepasor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw a current bid on Ebay for a used http://cgi.ebay.com/Louet-Spinning-Wheel-S90-case-Limited-Edition-NR_W0QQitemZ8256172622QQcategoryZ36602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem S90 wheel (which is no longer made) and is now up to $860. The last one that was up for bid on the S90 went for $620 and the person who won the last S90 is currently the highest bidder for this one. This wheel can go for much more than $860 because there are still 3 days left on the auction.

I had a hard enough time selecting my poor unpopular Babe because it was an easy $200, but those auctions put a new meaning to the word "collector".

So, answer truthfully: How much would you spend on a wheel? or two? or for your third?

Rosa
The curly haired knitting, spinning, and sewing mama.

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  6:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That depends on what wheel.

The Golding Wheels are often $6000 or more, depending on the model you pick. I'd be willing to pay that for a Norm Hall if I had the money (I don't) but they usually go for about $3000 (and there's a seven+ year wait-list for one new from Norm himself)

It's a little like asking "how much would you spend on a car?" - some folks don't see a need for a car, public transport is fine. Others are fine with low-end or used cars, other's have to drive the new Lexus SUV with all the options. Each person has to decide on their own...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

cairn-crew
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  7:29:26 PM  Show Profile Send cairn-crew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been watching that auction with interest myself. What I can't figure out is why "that" particular wheel is going so high
when there a few others that are absolutely beautiful. One of them is a Joslin wheel. I don't know how it spins, but it sure
is a work of art. Anyway, I know the Louet model S90 isn't made any more but I'm not sure what about a mass marketed and built wheel would make it more valuable than a hand crafted piece. Parts are probably still available for it though...Value is whatever someone is willing ( and able) to pay.

Theresa
Too many tails and teeth
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  02:26:30 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$860 for a second hand S90? £490???? That`s just silly. There`s nothing that special about it apart from the fact it folds. And the bobbins aren`t even compatible with the standard Louets. The last one on UK Ebay went for about £110! (That`s just under $200.)I just had a look on the bidders list for the S90, btw, and there aren`t really 32 bidders, just two determined people slugging it out. That always drives up the price. It`s great for a seller when two bidders lose their cool and go into a bidding war.

I`ve never spent more than £80 ($140) and I have three lovely wheels...an original S10, an original Mazurka ($80) and a Louet S40. Of the three, the Louet S40 (the portable hatbox Louet) is the most unusual and desirable and in fact I`ve only ever seen other on Ebay and that was in the USA. It went for $550+, if I remember correctly. Mine was about £70.($125)

I think there has been an upsurge in interest in spinning over in the USA lately, yes? You American folk are very keen on the fibre arts, more so than here where spinning is practically unknown. This upsurge has obviously affected the second hand market, both for usable wheels and discontinued "collectors" pieces. If you`re looking for a bargain, look at the UK or Dutch (especially good for Louets) Ebay sites. Yes you`ll have to pay big postage and wait for 6-8 weeks for it to come surface mail, but I bet you save a few dollars.

Okay, original question...how much would I be prepared to pay for a wheel? Second hand? £200..$350, probably. but I can`t think what I would want for that because I`ve got a wheel for every need already. (Though I would quite like RosebyAny`s new wheel....) If mone was no object I might consider the Floral Splendor Golding wheel, but I bet it doesn`t spin that much better than a $1000 wheel.

Val.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  04:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(Though I would quite like RosebyAny`s new wheel....)
Who wouldn't? All I'd need is a map and a weekend off and an excuse to get her out of the house and...

Seriously, Amie is right that a wheel's cost is all relative. What I am willing (planning) to pay for another wheel might seem to be too much to some (I'm saving for an original Reeves that a friend would like to part with), but I'm not looking for a bargain at this point in my life -- I've been very happy with my sweet Ashford for almost 28 years, and she cost about $80.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flikr Album
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  04:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh.

The Golding Floral Splendor Wheel. If you have it made up with the three whorls it cost $6,100 last May and I am saving my pennies for it. I'm about 1/2 way there.

Why would I spend that sort of $$ on a wheel? It does spin gloriously. It's a very smooth, very fast spinning wheel. What you'd call a production wheel, for the weight of the brass ring keeps it moving with very little foot work. I wouldn’t say it spins any better than any other Golding wheel, oh my how wonderfully those Golding wheels spin. Each year I go to MS&W and spin on them and sigh and long and yearn.

The many whorls allow you to set up additional drive bands between each other - like gears, actually - which boosts the wheel/whorl ratio to allow you to spin an extremely wide variety of yarn diameters with ease.

But a large part of the cost of the wheel is associated with the heavy carving involved. I will be buying the beauty, not just the technology. I live in a house that is a copy of a late 17th century colonial home that, though long since burned, was once in my husband's family. The lines of the house just beg for crewel work embroidery and cabriole legs. (after all, it's a new house.) The elaborate scrolling designs of Jacobean needlework have always delighted me, so much so that I painted a tile wall with my "take" on such traditional designs as Tree of Life, outsized animals, and corseted lovers for my kitchen backsplash. That wheel just belongs in my house.

Of course, spending that sort of $ takes a lot of thought and consideration and savings and time and all those other things. And there is also the tempo with which one must introduce an inexplicable purchase to the uninitiated spouse. Fortunately, there are images I can invoke, particularly of the maritime variety, as foils for the gleam of the gold I am contemplating exchanging for an indoor toy. How glad I am that my musical training has left me with an excellent sense of timing. Who knows. There just may come a day when I can send out announcements of our new arrival.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  05:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait a gall-dern minute here. A gal goes to sleep and there are kidnapping conspiracies over her wheel? Sweet Delphine has two cats and a pitbull guarding her, guys. And you'd have better luck getting past the pitbull than the declawed cat.... and my husband works in explosives... and carries a gun... and a granade... and a rocket launcher... and a rattlesnake... and poison ivy...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  05:46:29 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, I don`t want your wheel, Amie. I LIKE your wheel but she`s not MY wheel. My wheels all jumped up and down on the Ebay page and yelled "Hey Val!!!! I`m here...come and get me!" They were all mine even before I bought them.

Val.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  06:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but I plan to lure Delphine into my car with some of Jen's Spirit Trail silk! The soft, shiny, bluish-greenish kind!

It's really not necessary, since my own Wheel of My Dreams is waiting for me to go and get it. Delphine is safe, for the time being.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flikr Album
Go to Top of Page

sarah_knits
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile Send sarah_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spent ~400$US on my wheel and it will last me a long, long, long time because it is a versatile wheel. I don't plan on starting a collection, but I do think that in maybe 10-15 years I'll replace it with a bigger wheel (a 30 inch). Wheels that size cost significantly more, a minimum of a $1000. I might pay more for a custom made wheel. I've also thought about getting a charkha, but I would prefer to get a Bosworth charkha. Darn it. Now you've got me thinking. I'm working a ton of OT this weekend, I could afford a Bosworth charkha with my unexpected windfall. You enablers.
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  10:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spent $300 for a used Columbine. If a friend hadn't been selling that one, after I had a chance to try it, I probably would have tried the under $300 Frickes, or Ashfords, or Louets. Every once in a while (ahem), as you folks know, I wonder if/why/when I would get another wheel. But a NEW Schacht sells for $800-900, and I can't see doing that. Nor can I see (myself) spending enough for a Golding (though I have to admit I think his looms are gorgeous.) I don't know why a used Louet would be worth that much to someone. Just think of all the fiber we could buy with that $560 difference!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Anepasor
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  2:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anepasor's Homepage Send Anepasor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your responses. I think what shocks me most is that this would be the SECOND S90 that the highest bidder would win and purchase. One at $620 (or whatever) is enough to make me stop at that ONE, but a second one for a higher price than the first when I can get a brand new wheel, like a Schacht or Majacraft (which are my dream wheels) is more economically sensible--of course, that's to me. I know there are true collectors out there, so I hope she/he is making a sound investment.

Rosa
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  4:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valk_scot

My wheels all jumped up and down on the Ebay page and yelled "Hey Val!!!! I`m here...come and get me!" They were all mine even before I bought them.

Yup. That's what Delphine did for me. For such a pretty thing she's sure mouthy.... she was my wallpaper on my work computer before I even got up the nerve to show her to Ken and mention what a lovely gift she'd be....

Go to Top of Page

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  4:24:17 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall several months back, I saw a Louet S90 on e-bay, the first one I had seen go up for auction since starting to watch the e-bay wheels a year ago. It went for around $600 give or take and I did marvel at that price for this model, and for buying it sight unseen and untried. And then just a few days later I saw a post in this very forum and perhaps the topic was Louets, or maybe it was a thread where everyone was discussing their wheel preferences. Anyway, this post was made by the person who had just bought that S90 on e-bay a few days before. She/he said that it was the FIFTH!!! S90 to join her/his flock of wheels. I would not be a bit surprised if this self same person is calmly and quietly amassing an army of these things. I have since seen these Louet S90s come up every now and then, and they always get bid on early and stay abuzz with activity up until the auction's close, but this latest one is certainly setting a new record! Maybe someone should notify Homeland Security!
Go to Top of Page

Anepasor
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  4:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anepasor's Homepage Send Anepasor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's a COLLECTOR! Wow. Thanks for the insight. I had no idea. I love spinning wheels, but I am not ready to amass a collection of more than 2. I just have one for now and can't make up my mind what to upgrade to. I hope she/he wins is all I can say now.

Rosa
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  12:59:32 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an S-90, and no, it's not for sale, even for $860!!

But it's nice to know that my wheel may have been a good financial investment as well as a great wheel for spinning.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  1:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Bess, I would be willing to pay a lot for a beautifully-carved Golding or other wheel that seemed like functional art to me. But I'd have to have it to spend, and I don't at the moment. The used Louet wouldn't sway me so much.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  4:04:48 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I see that the highly coveted Louet S90 finally sold for $910.00 plus shipping. Well, now I'm thinking that it might be the Pentagon stockpiling these things. There are just too many parallels with the notorious $300 toilet seat aquisitions.
Go to Top of Page

belacane
Warming Up

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  9:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit belacane's Homepage Send belacane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let's see. I really, really wanted a Cooper Normandy back in 2001 when the Woolery was selling them. We lived about 4 hours north of the Woolery (in NoVA), and Coopers are made on the West coast, so for a long time I just dreamed about it. But later that year we took a surprise driving trip to Charleston, SC. The Woolery was only 1 hour out of our way (well, one hour and back), so we went.

Marianne brought the Normandy from her home to the store for me to peruse and test. By this point I knew she'd been having issues with Carson Cooper, and wasn't going to stock his wheels any more (or even recommend them, iirc). This was her personal wheel and it was goooooooooorgeous. Solid cherry, handmade, a big imposing wheel. And she was asking the full retail price for it ($1200), even though (a) it was a couple of years old and (b) she wanted to get rid of it.

I hesitated to pay that much, but good ol' DH said to go for it. He figured they wouldn't be around much longer, and he appreciates the fine craftsmanship that went into it. So we spent $1200. (Luckily we were in a truck, too!)

That's the most I've ever spent but I do love that wheel. I feel like Eleanor of Aquitaine when I spin at it, though I'm not sure she was actually the spinning type!

Just after the S90 was discontinued I became a Louet dealer, and the only S90s available for dealers were the walnut ones. I called all around the country and Bountiful had one of the lighter-wood ones at the full retail of $595. So with a choice between $416 wholesale for the walnut or $595 retail for the birch, guess which one I bought? I hate walnut!!

I'd buy a new Louet S45 at retail before paying upwards of $700 for a used S90. Those S45s are sweet!

Spin on,

Donna
www.cashmerecat.com
Go to Top of Page

Janice Rosema
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  4:42:20 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Rosema a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The current spinning wheel prices amaze me. When I bought my first Ashford wheel they were only $40. Now, they are quite a bit more. I also had two Pirtle production wheels out of African hardwoods. Great wheels but they do not make them anymore. In my wanderings this weekend near Temecula, CA I came across an obscure little antique and gift shop located in a barn. There were all kinds of things in there but the find that caught my eye was ten or so spinning wheels, mostly modern and a few antique. They were from Holland and Romania. Fully functional and only $125!
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  06:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a distorted perspective so you may just want to skip this post. I have played bass, bass guitar and guitar since I was 7 years old. When it comes to spending my money I will buy the best that I can, it is so much cheaper that way.

When I buy an instrument a thousand or two is such a small price in the scheme of things. The bass I bought 25 years ago for $800.00 is worth so much more than that to me today, all those years of playing, the friends and memories the gigs and audiences the recording that will out live me, the $800.00 is nothing, after all of this I could easily sell it for maybe $3,000 and that will never happen. I look at it like this, I spent a lot of money on this instrument 25 years ago, it has been like a trusted friend, it has brought me great pleasure, increased my skill and entertained others and is worth more today than ever.

I can’t afford to buy cheap stuff. People thought I was crazy when in 1984 I blew over $8,000.00 on a motorcycle. “Why, you could get a car for that kind of money” they screamed at me. Who here or who do you know that is still driving a car they paid 8 grand for, 22 years ago. I’m still riding my bike, made tons of friends have had fantastic adventures and enjoyed every mile, even in the rain. The last offer I had on this machine was close to 4 times what I paid for it.

I would, if I had the money, buy a Norm Hall or a few other wheels hand made by talented craftsmen. I know that there is another way, at least for me. It will save me a little money but not much and that is to make my next wheel, like the way I make my own instruments today. I have two great wheels that satisfy today’s needs the next wheel will be a challenge to create.

A wheel made by a master craftsman or even just a very good wheel, say $500.00 or more will last and provide pleasure, producing yarn almost as a side benefit, for years even life times, buy a car for the same price and you’ll be lucky to drive it for 6 months.

Like I said, a distorted perspective. If I would have bought $8,000.00 worth of gold in ’84 would it be worth $30,000.00 today, actually no, it would be closer to $11,000.00 and I couldn’t ride it for 22 years :o)

Mike in Homestead
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.