Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 knit shops in NYC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  7:01:19 PM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be in NYC this weekend. Does anyone have any favorites to see....obviously can't get to all of them. I have seen gotta knit. What about The woolgathering 0r Stitches East Or the Yarn Connection Or The Yarn Company!
Thanks!

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  8:02:42 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Downtown Yarns way downtown on Avenue A. I think the address is 45 Avenue A near 4th. There's no subway stop near but you can take a bus from Union Square. Also, School Products at 1201 Broadway near 29th is huge. They have a ton of cone yarns but a lot of other stuff also. I enjoyed the Yarn Connection also, I think 218 Madison. The latter 2 are not far from each other and I visited both on foot the same day, walking from Grand Central.

Those are the ones I visited when I was in NYC in the fall. There are many others.

Have fun!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

Laurie K
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  8:32:08 PM  Show Profile Send Laurie K a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was visiting New York, I would absolutely visit the following:
Purl on Sullivan near Prince Street in Soho
String on Madison Avenue between 78th and79th Street on the East Side of the Street
Lion and the Lamb on Lexington Avemue in the low 90's on the West side of the Street

these three stores are uniquely New York and even have friendly staff. There are others but these three are really special and unlike shops elsewhere in the country because of their uniquely New York style. Have fun and then go to Fairway or Zabars and getsome great food to enjoy while you knit!

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are in town on a Monday, Wednesday or Saturday, check out the Farmer's Market in Union Square Park. There is almost always a local sheep farmer selling some beautiful yarn. not to mention the other stuff (fresh produce, baked goods, plants, etc.) they have there is pretty fabulous, too.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

srenee76
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  12:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit srenee76's Homepage Send srenee76 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to the Yarn Company a couple of months ago and was extremely disappointed. No one ever approached me, or my two friends that were with me, the entire time I was there. I bought some yarn for a pattern I had seen on their website that was supposed to include a free pattern. When the woman ringing me up charged me $7 for the pattern, I told her that on the website it said I would get the pattern for free. She dryly told me the website was wrong, and that was that. She incorrectly told me the number of skeins the project would need, and was all around very rude. I was so excited to finally go there, and I was excited when I first walked in--a couple of the people working there were younger than I am (27), and I thought being a young knitter I would feel welcomed...that wasn't the case. I would skip Yarn Co., and head on down to Purl. I know I wish I had!

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  3:36:04 PM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Thanks soooo much for the advice! I would have been tempted to go the Yarn Company but it doesn't sound worth it. (I think I am young!!) I think I will head down to Purl (one I don't even think I had on my list) and on to Madison Ave.

Thank you all ever so much. I will let you know where I get to go with my DH with me
Lauren

Go to Top of Page

srenee76
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  6:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit srenee76's Homepage Send srenee76 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Lauren,

I hope you have fun! Let us know how Purl is. Last year I moved from NYC to DC, but I didn't knit when I lived in NYC, so I never visited any yarn stores. I've heard such great things about Purl.

I don't know about you, but I find that often when I go into a yarn store I'm not treated very well, and I think it's because I'm younger. That's why I was excited about Yarn Co. Luckily I found a great yarn store here in the DC area that I LOVE!

Take care,
Shannon
Go to Top of Page

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  4:41:19 PM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone:
We had a great weekend!! We saw the show The Producers. If you can get to see...do it. It was great!

We even got to 2 yarn shops! We went to Purl. A lovely store with some very nice yarn--no novelty yarn but many others. They were having a morning teaching session and I walked in just at noon when they were opening. I didn't stay long. Then we went to The Yarn Connection as we made our way back to midtown. It was also a great store with a variety of yarn in a small space. I was looking for katia portofino and neither store had it. But the woman at the Yarn Connection looked it up for me and everything. I thought that was really nice.

That's my report!

Thanks again to everyone for their recommendations as it was very helpful.

Go to Top of Page

NYCKnitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  4:22:09 PM  Show Profile Send NYCKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting in Manhattan

I just started knitting this winter but my mother has been knitting for 30 years. We recently went on a “tour” of some of the knitting stores in Manhattan – Here are some of my personal reviews if anyone is interested!

Purl (Soho) – Very cute little place with nice enough staff but they were a little clueless. Living in NYC I had heard rave reviews and was sort of disappointed. The size of the shop makes it difficult to navigate the yarn due to the large table in the middle of the shop. You are literally bumping into something or someone at every turn. Overall, I don’t think this took away from the charm of Purl and still found interesting yarns at decent prices.

The Yarn Co. (Upper West Side) – This was a hike, literally. Be prepared to walk up a very steep stairwell. There is no elevator in this very crowded and jumbled store with lots of unfriendly staff. I didn’t think it was worth the trip.

The Woolgathering (Upper East Side) – Ladies, definitely make this a stop on your tour. The shop is small but loaded with interesting yarns. This place has funky yarns in all sorts of colors. The staff is very accommodating and has a nice display so it doesn’t feel too overwhelming. I just started knitting with ribbon to try something different and was happy to find that someone in my very own neighborhood has textures to experiment with at reasonable NYC prices! Stop by DT/UT for a huge yummy Rice Krispy treat and coffee on your way home. Worth the trip!

The Lion and the Lamb (Way Upper East Side)– This shop has needlepoint in the front and knitting stuff in the back. Lots of fun and interesting colors that are constantly being updated. Owner is very hip so stock is constantly being updated.

Does anyone have anything to report on Downtown Yarns? I have heard all good things but it’s way over there! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  9:18:56 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Passionate fan of NYC who lives in the Midwest reporting in on Downtown Yarns, and was I pleased! Nice people, including customers, lots of things that I'd only read about even though we have several LYSs here, and lots of easy-going advice. Yes, prices were higher than here, but so are the movie admissions and cups of coffee; it comes with the territory, and I consider it the price of admission to the pleasures of one of my favorite cities.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  08:10:56 AM  Show Profile Send KEG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been mentioned in another thread, but I want to put in a plug for Knitting Hands on Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn. I was in there recently (I live in Brooklyn but have more yarn than I can handle at the moment) and was amazed at how the inventory has grown - better selection than any of the Manhattan shops, including Green Mountain Spinnery and Mountain Colors products. Huge selection of patterns, lovely space - I'd put the staff at more knowledgeable than Purl, less than Yarn Connection (which has the best staff in NYC, IMHO).
Kate
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  08:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also a huge fan of Downtown Yarns. They are friendly and helpful. They have a nice selection of yarns although it is a bit "cozy" and frequently crowded. All around, it's my favorite shop in Manhattan.

I also have to agree with Knitting Hands. If you are heading into Brooklyn, stop there. You won't be disappointed.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  07:52:36 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I lived in NYC I pretty much only shopped at Downtown Yarns. They have a wonderful selection and helpful staff. Oh, I miss it so much!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

altobarb
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  08:27:55 AM  Show Profile Send altobarb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is what I've found with yarn stores in my hometown of NYC:

Downtown Yarns: It is actually near the 2nd Ave station on the F train (use the 1st Ave exit and you're only a couple of blocks away). They are a *wonderful* store. It's teensy and easy to miss--look for the screen door (yes, in Manhattan--this says it all!) and the Barbara Walker learn to knit quilt hanging in the window. The owner, Rita Bobry, is wonderful--patient, interested, helpful--and her selection of yarns includes ones I've never seen before (and I haunt yarn stores wherever I am and on the internet). Her prices are less than some I've seen in Manhattan. The help is low-key, but friendly and well-informed. One of my favorite yarn stores in the City.

The Yarn Connection: My other fave Manhattan yarn store. Very small--on the second floor, if you don't look up, you might miss it. Wonderful amount and variety of stock, considering the space limitations. The friendliest and most knowledgeable staff I've encountered. NB: Arlene Mintzer works and teaches here. If you have a chance to take a class with her, do--she is most knowledgeable and inspirational.

Knitting Hands: a newcomer and so still evolving. Selection of yarns can't be beat and if you can find the proprietor, Wayne Warner, he will try to order anything you are interested in that he doesn't already carry--he is lovely--helpful, interested. He is always interested in trying and finding out about new things. They started off with an incredible roster of workshops and teachers, but this aspect of the store seems to have scaled back for the time being--still worth checking from time to time. Barbara Kerr works and teaches here. And not very far from Manhattan, btw--just a subway stop or two and just over the Bklyn or Manhattan Bridge.

The NYC Greenmarket in Union Square was a good suggestion. There is usually a table for Morehouse Merinos. Their yarn is not cheap, but a great value--it's top quality--very soft. They're always friendly. You can read more about their yarn here on Kntiter's Review--Clara reviewed it a while ago and it is here in the forums, too.

I have heard from so many reliable sources that the Yarn Company is rude that I will never go there. They don't need my business.

The Lion and the Lamb: If I lived there, I'd shop there. Good enough selection of yarns, but not so unusual that it's worth a special trip.

Purl: Haven't visited yet, but have heard (again from reliable sources) that the staff could be better informed and that they carry basic rather than unusual yarns.

String: High on my list of gotta-get-to's. Glad to see what folks here think of it.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Barbara in Brooklyn

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2362 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  06:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this topic has been active lately, thought I'd add that Seaport Yarns, on William Street in downtown Manhattan, is having a trunk show and sale next weekend, April 25-26. I think that Ellen Cooper is coming in with some exclusive handpaints that she did for the store, as well as her regular line of beautiful yarns. There will be a lot of specials, and percentage discounts as well, don't know how these will be working but some of the specials will be specific to Friday or Saturday. Andrea, who owns the shop, was showing me a number of the yarns that she has ordered specially for the event, including a lot of cotton for summer, and some really wonderful Cherry Tree Hill in dye lots large enough for a large or extra-large sweater.

I'll be out of town next weekend , but sounds like a great event for us stash-builders!

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

tyrone
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  6:05:32 PM  Show Profile Send tyrone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like the Morehouse Merino display at Union Square, I highly recommend visiting their shop in Milan, NY (next to the town of Red Hook) for anyone who might be taking a jaunt in the Dutchess Co. NY countryside. This is a nice summer trip for you citydwellers. I can't stress to you enough how fabulous this shop is. In addition to their wonderful yarn and patterns, you can also purchase items already knitted or woven as well as related items like shearling style mocassins. Lambchops, lamb chili, etc. are also for sale! The staff is topnotch. If you don't completely spend every dollar in your pocket, you can take Rt. 199 back to Rt. 9G and travel another 20 miles north to visit Claudia Krisniski at Countrywool, in Hudson NY. This is another wonderful shop.

Go to Top of Page

DetroiterInNYC

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  09:42:51 AM  Show Profile Send DetroiterInNYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More feedback on The Yarn Co. on NYC's UWS. Don't go. They are snobby and rude. I had a great class there once and was shocked when I went in to buy stuff for my second project. I will not frequent a shop that is so un-customer friendly. In my class they said come in if you have any problems, and when I went in they said, if you want to learn that we have a class! UGH.
Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  5:17:46 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally made it to Shelia's find, Seaport Yarns, today. Good and varied selection for a small shop and the people couldn't be nicer. Friendly, helpful, and encouraging. I'm supposed to be on yarn hiatus, but being in that part of town, I just had to check it out. Controlled myself by buying only one big hank of handpainted chenille for a gift (just couldn't use anything in my stash, of course!).

Thanks Shelia...I think. I've got a part-time free-lance gig nearby for the next 2 -3 months and having a yarn shop so close is going to be hard to resist.

Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  12:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanted to add another to the list: P & S Fabrics at 355 Broadway. They carry fabric, yarn, notions and sewing patterns. They stock plenty of Lion's Brand, Bernat and Patons at great prices (CottonEase was 3 balls for $10). If you like WoolEase they stock plenty of colors in all three weights. I was really impressed with the selection and will definitely go back instead of trekking out to Smileys (which is too far out of the way for me). This is now one of my favorite NYC shops along with Yarn Connection, Seaport Yarns and Knitting Hands.

If you go, be warned that they close early on Fridays and are not open Saturdays. Happy shopping!

Felicia

"You have your own little ball of yarn but you always want mine." -my ongoing battle with my cat, Manny
Go to Top of Page

scigirl92
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  05:18:01 AM  Show Profile Send scigirl92 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with the bad reviews about The Yarn Co, the only yarn shop I've been to so far in NYC. I'm a brand new knitter and I walked into the shop not knowing what I need at all. No one approached me and when I did ask for help, she showed one kind of yarn and pretty much said that's what I should get without giving me another option. The yarn was $17.95 each skein! I wanted to ask her some questions, but she acted like she couldn't be bothered. There was no chance that she would show me how to get started. Now that I know about the other yarn shops in the city, I'm not going back. They really act like they're doing you a favor there.
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  04:14:27 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much bad publicity about the Yarn Co. That's one store I won't bother to check out. Does anyone have anything nice to say about this store?!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?