Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 knit shops in NYC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  08:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The good about Yarn Co.: I took a finishing class there with Petra, who is wonderful. I made one of the sweaters in their book and figured what better place to go to for help putting it all together. (And I picked up a few balls of Touch Me on sale. )

Yarn Co. seems to be hit or miss. If you're "in with the in crowd", then it's a great place. The table is always packed with young woman who look like they're having a great time. The owners are usually there, but I the one time I asked one of them a question, she was a bit snippy with her reply (trying to give her the benefit of the doubt since she was also pregnant). This is not the place to go if you're cost conscious about yarns, because they're not.

I'm sure Yarn Co. is great if you're part of that "scene", but I much prefer the service I get at Yarn Connection and Seaport Yarns. The first time I met Andrea, the owner of Seaport, she told me that the reason she started her shop was because of the rude service she received at other shops.

Now, can someone review "Gotta Knit"?

Felicia

"You have your own little ball of yarn but you always want mine." -my ongoing battle with my cat, Manny
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  12:47:49 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only visit NYC a couple of times a year, but have gotten a chilly reception in this shop where things were piled everywhere. I do understand the space limitations in Manhattan, of course, but....

lemons of Missouri

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  05:28:36 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Felicia, I went into Gotta Knit once. It was a walk-up and a fairly small space. Pretty good selection of yarns. Most of the samples that were hanging were quick-knits made from bulky yarns etc. It was winter when I went in there. But the feeling I got was mostly of novelty yarns and quick-knits. There was only one other customer there besides me and the owner was engrossed in helping her the whole time and did not ask if I needed help which was fine as I was only browsing. I remember asking her a question and she did not seem overly friendly.

Go to Top of Page

knittingFrenzy
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  11:25:34 AM  Show Profile Send knittingFrenzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite: Habu (Textiles and Yarns) on 135 West 29th street, Suite 804. All kind of silk yarns in lovely colors. Their website is www.habutextiles.com

Go to Top of Page

sphilip

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  10:42:57 PM  Show Profile Send sphilip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes, yes, go to Habu. The last time I was in New York I only made it to Purl (cute and radiator-heated on a frosty January day) but then came my encounter with Habu Textiles at the Stitches West Marketplace. These yarns have to be seen to be believed. They have yarn made out of paper, bamboo, stainless steel/silk blend, not for the faint of heart. Think very modern, yet very beautiful. They of course have scads of the more pedestrian (seemingly) fibers, beautiful silks and whisper thin wools. They also have novelty yarns, all truly unique, giving Trandsetter and the like a run for their money.
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  11:28:13 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another nod to Downtown Yarns... I used to live near there for a couple of year (and when I first learned to knit!! I was spoiled that this was my LYS :) It's a wonderful shop-- there are beautiful yarns-- and she has a wonderful dog! :)

Great yarns :) Great help. It's lovely :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

megannkerri

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  1:41:55 PM  Show Profile Send megannkerri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Gotta Knit. I was there only twice, but for what its worth, I think its just ok. As a new knitter, I had a ton of questions, and the woman (not the owner, who is super nice) lost patience with me very fast. They didn't hassle me at all about an exchange, either. On another note, I can't sing enough praises for The Yarn Connection - hands down, my most favorite store. They are always helpful, have a great selection and decent prices. And I totally love Arlene - I'm taking a few more classes with her this winter.
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  06:12:45 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love hearing about the knitting stores in the city and visiting them when I get a chance. I keep hearing good things about Knitting Connection so that will be my next one. I went to School Products last summer but it was closed as it was the 4th of July so I will have to go back there another time. It was so disappointing to find it closed, I hadn't even thought about it being the 4th. The store I go to is in Bayside, where I live (rather convenient!)It's called Knitwits, and is run by Joan Norman. I've been going there for more than 15 years and Joan gives each customer personalized attention and writes a pattern for whatever it is they have in mind. I go there quite often, probably at least once a week, it's great have a lys so close by! Sue

Go to Top of Page

Ms. V
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  5:52:06 PM  Show Profile Send Ms. V a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been to a few stores in NYC. I must agree, The Yarn Co. is a hit or a miss. I was in there twice. The first time they kind of ignored me and really had the attitude that they were better than you or somewhat like they don't have the patience for a new knitter. The second time they were a tad better. I must say though that I did say something to one of the girls. I was asking a question about a yarn that I liked and if she would recommend a pattern. She kind of huffed so I simply asked her if I was taking up her time? If I am I could go elswhere. She changed her attitude.

I have also been to Gotta Knit. Laura is a very nice person. She suggested a yarn for me, wrote a pattern for me and has since helped me to finish the pattern. Ann is also very nice, she taught me how to put my first sleelvless shell together eventhough I didn't buy the yarn there. Nice store, nice selection, nice people.

I have also been to Knits Incredible on Lexington Ave between 70th and 71st. Nice store, nice selection and nice people. They are very fun and inspiring.

I am off on Monday, maybe I will venture in and explore some new stores (???)

Ms. V
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  6:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Lion and Lamb on Lexington and 95th Street. If you are coming in by train take the #6 to 96th and it's right across the street. This store has an amazing selection of yarn, books, and needles and is actually large which is not common in the city.

Go to Top of Page

Joan NYC
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  10:41:54 AM  Show Profile Send Joan NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite shops are String, Purl and Woolgathering.

String and Purl have an amazing selection of Koigu which is my favorite. They have other nice things as well and are not "pushy" as other stores. Linda & Joelle (respective owners) are both lovely people. Two totally different types of stores, totally different clientele, opposite ends of the city... etc. etc.

I like the Woolgathering too. They have a great selection of yarns and a fun owner (she either has her dog or one of her grandkids there). I am not sure what it is like when she is not there.

I also had semi-negative vibes at the Yarn Company. I "could" like 321 Knitting but I find one of the owners a little pushy. I have yet to get to Haiku but want to check out Union Square market. I used to go down there lots on Saturday mornings but I was not knitting at that time and I dont believe the person with the Merino Wool is there on Saturday anyway.

Just thought I would give you my opinion :)
Go to Top of Page

virtualpurl
Gabber Extraordinaire

409 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile Send virtualpurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, yes, yes, go to Habu. The last time I was in New York I only made it to Purl (cute and radiator-heated on a frosty January day) but then came my encounter with Habu Textiles at the Stitches West Marketplace. These yarns have to be seen to be believed. They have yarn made out of paper, bamboo, stainless steel/silk blend, not for the faint of heart. Think very modern, yet very beautiful. They of course have scads of the more pedestrian (seemingly) fibers, beautiful silks and whisper thin wools. They also have novelty yarns, all truly unique, giving Trandsetter and the like a run for their money.

I'm fascinated by the idea of silk/stainless steel yarn. Has anyone here tried it? On the Habu website, it says fabrics knit from this "can be shaped." Wonder if you could knit a bowl...

Go to Top of Page

kanoelani
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:58:13 AM  Show Profile Send kanoelani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just returned from NYC. I have to second Strings on the Upper East Side. The yarns are lovely and the ladies who worked there were very friendly. They had a sale on cashmere yarns. :>
Go to Top of Page

dale
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  12:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit dale's Homepage Send dale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking for alternatives to Stiches East on 52nd near Park. I work on 53rd & 3rd and would love someplace closeby when I need supplies. I find Stiches East extremely unfriendly. Their staff was not helpful, even when when I was the only person in the store. The prices are not on the yarns, so you need a staff person to look everything up. There is a dismally small selection of needles. I have to ask serveral times for someone to ring up my purchase. Just an unpleasant experience.

I used to work near Yarn Connection on 37th and Madison. In the past they had not been very friendly to me (although they seemed much nicer to other people in the store), but I dropped by a few days ago, and the staff had changed, and was much friendlier and more helpful to me than in the past. Note that they tend to have a $3-$6 sale bin.

I have heard from friends that schoolproducts is a great deal, but I haven't been there as yet.

I subscribe to the email newsletter from seaport yarn. I like the newsletter, so when I get off of my yarn-buying hiatus, I will try to stop by.

Another great find for basic yet very cheap yarn is smiley's in queens. They have a website, and a couple times a year they will have hotel sales in Manhattan. They often have pretty good cotton or basic wool yarns for as low as $1 a ball.

Anyway, if anyone knows any good alternatives near E52nd street, I'd appreciate the tip!

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  2:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been working in that area for 3 years. Unfortunately, Stitches East is the only place right there. I think the next closest stores are String on Madison and 78th, Knitting 321 on 75th and First Ave, Erdal Yarns at 31st and Fifth or Yarn Connection on Madison and 35th. Midtown is sadly laking in yarn stores. (I also live on the west side of midtown and there is nothing between Yarn Company and School Products.)

If you find something else, please share with us.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  5:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, there's not much on the east side in that area.

I work at 42nd and Lexington, so I usually go to Yarn Connection. If they don't have what I need, I'll hop on the train and head down to Seaport Yarns during my lunch hour. (If you've never been there before, I would not suggest going during lunch - you could easily spend a few hours there).

Dale, I had a similar experience with Yarn Connection the first time I went. Luckily, the women in my knitting group insisted that was very unusual, and to give YC another try. I did, and have been happily shopping there since.

Felicia

"This is mohair." "Mohair", he said and placed the furry ball on his head. "Mohair for me?" - from a very funny moment with my boyfriend in a LYS.
Go to Top of Page

Joan NYC
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  12:14:52 PM  Show Profile Send Joan NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live on the East Side (57th and 1st) and work near Rock Center. I will go to Stitches East ONLY if I am desperate for a needle (which half the time they dont have anyway)

Knitting 321 is the most convenient. Just a few stops on the M15. However, I mainly use String on 79th and Madison.

The problem with Stitches East is that the owner only has the store as a little hobby. Her family owns the building and they gave her this nice space to hang out in when she is in the mood. Therefore no service and not a great selection. This is unfortunate as it is the most conveniently located for me too.

I have never been to Lion and the Lamb but think I will go there today after work just to take a look. Not that I need (or can afford) any yarn. I see on their website that they stock Lorna's Lace. I'll give an update on Monday.

joan

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  8:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Woolgathering (84th bet 1st & 2nd) had a big bucket of Clover Bamboo circular needles on sale for 1/2 price today. I'm sure there will be plenty left tomorrow if you are interested.

Go to Top of Page

Joan NYC
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2003 :  5:23:51 PM  Show Profile Send Joan NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi

I guess we missed each other today

I went to Woolgathering just around 12:15 to exchange something

I saw the bucket. I wish I could sell them some of mine. I love Chrystal Palace Bamboos straights and DPs but not the circulars. I thought that was the way it was until I got my first pair of Addi Turbos.

Sylvia, the owner, is lots of fun and she had her cute little dog, Sugar, with her today.... Carol, I can live without altogether

I also went to Lion & Lamb. Great selection. Totally overpriced... even for NYC. I love String which is not cheap but their prices were much more. For example, Koigu at string is $10 which I believe is the going price... it was $11.50 at Lion and Lamb. I love Lornas Lace which is not readily available in the city. I get it online for approximately $15... it is $25 there. very nice girls and lots of nice things but..... also a big bus ride for me

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  08:36:38 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to Purl in Soho yesterday for the first time. I thought their yarn selection and presentation was beautiful. The place was jammed with lots of eager knitters. I thought it was fun and funky. I wish it was closer to me because going to Soho is inconvenient. Oh, well, I guess I'll go a couple of times a year. The owner/help seemed friendly and helpful. No traces of attitude here. Sue
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?