Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 No Blog required Sockalong Part II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  5:44:35 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the wooly bed socks for my friend who loves cats. I'm going to duplicate stitch a heart and the words "Love Kitties" on them and send them off.

Starting a new pair of boot socks for DH http://www.littleknits.com/products.php?cat=228 Gothic Red --scroll down to see it--trekker XXL out of some yarn I ordered from Little Knits that just flew to my door through that horrible storm in Seattle.

I picked up two pinks for me, too, when DH asked me what I wanted for myself. Oh, socks are such sweet heaven to knit, so they are!

[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/409.gif[/img]

Lella

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  7:37:52 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great, Lella! I'm a cat fan myself.

That Gothic Red looks a lot like Ruby Slippers (STR). What kind of storm was there in Seattle? When I lived in WA state, the worst storms were rainstorms.

I'm knitting the perfect solution to Second Sock Solution, a Christmas stocking. I've set aside my two sock projects. I'm bad. I wanted to do the North Star scarf from Arctic Lace and start a stocking first.

The fair isle stocking is a bit of a challenge for me, but I like the way it looks. It'll be my first afterthought heel. I still feel guilty for not working on my twisted stitch socks or finishing my second Columbine Peaks sock.

Wendy :)
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  2:53:40 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy, the storm was a huge ice storm with snow showers, too, that lasted a few days. I'm not surprised that it took awhile for Seattle to go back to normal because that is very weird weather for there.

I think the trekker Gothic Red does look like Ruby Slippers and will even more so when I knit it up. I can't wait to get it on the needles. I have to wait on more socks, though, because I've got fingerless gloves to knit first, and a serious attempt must be made at that *she mumbles* "stupid green aran isle sweater pattern full of errata". At least it was free! [:00]

Ohhhh a Christmas stocking, and a fair isle one, too. Very sweet. It is a sock, just a bigger one. So, you can just brush off the guilt over the other socklings waiting a bit. If they start whining you can just pat them and say, "Can either of you say, 'frog'". The North Star Scarf sounds like a very worthy dodge enterprise. heehee I'll bet it's a beauty.

This must be sockyarnstash building time as I ordered some socketta from a vendor on ebay this am. The colors grabbed me when my resistance was low.

Lella

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  10:07:36 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm on the last part of the Christmas stocking, the afterthought heel, before I do the final touches (duplicate stitch name and hanging loop on top). I don't know WHAT happened, but one side of the stocking next to the heel where I picked out the yarn has a hole in it. This is my first afterthought heel, by the way. I picked out the right number of stitches and got them on the circular needle, so that hole baffles me. Of course I can pull it all together with some extra yarn later, and I'm going to finish the heel first, but I wonder what went wrong. It looks like one stitch was too loose at area, or was pulled somehow. Oh well. As I say, I can fix it.

This stocking is so darn LOUD! ~I may have used too many bright colors - is that possible when making a stocking for a kid? Anyway, I hope it looks nice and people like it when I'm done - should be within the next few days. I did go wild with the colors and mix of patterns - MC: Yellow, plus purple, dark green, light green, red, white, brown. It has candy canes and little elvish figures and hearts and reindeer and zigzags, oh my.

Wendy :)
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  12:55:41 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy, it sounds like a cute stocking for a kid. I'm imagining it in my head and it's something they might even want to wear if there were two of them. Kids have a freedom that adults seems to get frozen out of.

That hole.. hmm. was there a discussion here about the after thought heel that mentioned holes as a problem? I can't remember and I've never done an after thought heel. Stitching it shut and not tell a soul maybe the best solution. [:00] It probably resulted from a stitch getting pulled a little bigger when you weren't looking in it's direction. They are canny that way.

I'm just trying to catch up from a few solid days of Christmas stuff and hoping to get a little tree up tomorrow. It's going to be Christmas Eve soon! Then I am going to sit down and knit and knit and knit and KNIT!

Lella
[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/jester.gif[/img]
Come Visit my blog?
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  8:47:47 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha ha ha ha ha ha - eleven (yes, eleven) whole months after starting them, I am finished with both Columbine Peak socks. Rah Rah. I should be embarrassed, but I'm not. I don't even care that I had to use the not-really-matching different dye lot of STR Ruby Slippers on the foot part of one so one is striped and the other is blotched. They are done! Holy Cow. Rah.

Maybe I'll get my Bavarian Twisted Stitch socks done by next year at this rate!
Go to Top of Page

spielerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  9:42:11 PM  Show Profile Send spielerd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI, just saw thids for the first time. I'm being a fanatic about socks this year. I don't have a blog- thinking about creating one but haven't done it yet. I need a camera first.

Anyway will share I just this month decided to teach myself stranded knitting by doing socks in it. I have the book Socks, Socks, Socks. I did the pair called Traveller's Socks. They are "colorful" to say the least. I used a green Koigu for the ribbing, heels and toes, then magenta solid and shool bus yellow solid in some other brands for the rest. They were hard but really fun to do. I did already know how to knit continental although it's not my normal way to knit. The really cool thing about these socks is that they are "the same only different". The patterns on the 2 socks are similar but not the same. One sock is mostly yellow and the other mostly magenta. I used #1 Addi for Magic Loop.

They were so fun I already started another pair from the same book called Salsa Socks in purple, red,orange, yellow and chartreuse. Using Panda Cotton and Luscious and Dubai Stretch for these and #2 Addi with Magic Loop.

Debby
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  7:52:37 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May I pull up a chair and knitalong with y'all? I cast on for the first sock for my next pair of socks tonight. I'm not sure yet what the top will look like, I have a few hours of knitting before I need to decide. Top runners right now are the Pine Tree Toe Up socks, Streets and YO's Knee socks! or Mag Knits Milanese Lace Socks. Any warnings or suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

spielerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile Send spielerd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI, My Salsa socks are ...........sitting in a basket. I had to rip the gusset 3 times on sock #1 because it kept on not looking right. I got frustrated and decided to put it down for awhile. It's supposed to be checkerboard and I am just doing something wrong.

So I picked up my chartreuse Fixation toe up socks and got them done. They are so cute. I did a lacey pattern on the legs which turned out to not be that fun to knit but does look great. I used the Sensational Knitted Socks heel flap so I could do the whole flap part double and have a really padded heel to walk on . It feels great! I really like this heel because I can still do the K1,S1 across the back of the heel when working the gusset so the socks hug my heel all around.

Now I'm working on dark brown socks for my son. 2.5mm Addi circular with Fleece Artist yarn. AFter 3.5 inches of K3P3 ribbing I started the lozenge pattern from Knitting vintage Socks book on a gentleman's sock. Great sock and I hope he likes them. The real problem here is I can't see what I'm doing at night because the yarn is dark and the stitches are tiny. I put a lamp right by my chair that has light right down on my work but not quite enough help to be positive that I have all my pattern stitches in perfect position. So I think these socks will be daytime work only.

That means I have to find some lighter yarn today and cast on more socks. I think I'll get that Cider Moon yarn out and make myself some with that. Hmmmm

Debby
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  3:14:40 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy did this fall off the map! Lol. I'm so sorry for not keeping up with you all. I saw Vi's topic and came in to have a look. Long time no see!

Is everyone on to another sock pattern by now? I know I am

I'm making, FINALLY after everyone else, some of Jane's Hedgerow socks. Shorties for my DD who likes short socks. They are in baby blue Panda cotton/bamboo blend.

Lella
Zippiknits

Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  3:32:58 PM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So are we resurrecting this project? Yea? Nay?

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  10:02:09 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, Carla, we can do that. I'd sure like to. Let's see if others feel the same.

I have two different socks on the needles but Jane's Hedgerows are by far the most interesting ones. The other's are sort of interesting to me as they are done in a sort of marled (?) black/multi red spectrum yarn from Lana Grossa. DH didn't know if he'd like the color but it's turning out very nicely.

Lella
[img]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/turtle.gif[/img] Zippiknits

Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  04:59:45 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sure, I'm still knitting socks. Right now I'm finishing my version of 'vintage socks' from Knitting Vintage Socks. First is done, I'm working on the upper ribbing of the second. I started with a round toe, moved up to doing 2 repeats of King Charles Brocade on the instep. Did Fleegle's heel;the only heel I've found that fit's my poor little heel, then continued up the front with the brocade, but, stayed in stocking stitch up the back. Then 15 rows of 1X1 rib, one row knit, 2 rows purl, 1 row knit, 12 rows of embossed stitch, and knit, purl, purl, knit, ribbing again.

Later today I'm going to cast on for a pair of blueberry waffle in Kroy navy blue, had to be blue, right? And a pair of brown heather, don't know what pattern for that, thinking mostly ribbing with a clock of lace.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  9:19:07 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there socker. I'm glad you are still knitting socks, too.

You are knitting one very intricate and pretty sock. Knitting Vintage Socks is a book that my DD and I like a lot, too. It sounds like you've used it for a nice jumping off place.

I just found the next sock to make for the short sock wearer in the family. it's here...

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATThedera.html

I don't care that much for the shoe but sure like the sock.

Happy knitting!

Lella

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  9:21:03 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS. That lace clock in your sock has given me an idea. There was a little rooster in a clock pattern somewhere on this old web. I'd like to do that one.

Lella

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  9:21:40 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! The No Blog required Sockalong thread is back!

Socker, I'll have to check out Fleegle's heel.

I'm about to start the heel in the first of my Embossed Leaves socks. It's a pretty pattern. I'm using size 2 needles. I thought about using size 1 for the heel though. Haven't decided yet.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  1:40:21 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thumbs up on the patern I just finished. The only really hard part was I never could remember the pattern, but the they do look nice now that they've been washed.

Wendy, when I say my little heel, I do mean little heel, I wear a D width shoe at my toes, and need a AA heel. To make matters worse, I have thick ankles. Which I think is why the fleegle heel works for me. It's sort of like working a short row heel with gussets.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
socker, Fleegle's heel is for toe-up socks only, right? I didn't read the instructions thoroughly, but that's what I understood from a quick glance.

I decided to go with the smaller needles for the heel.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  05:33:27 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Fleegle's heel wouldn't work top down. Thats not to say that maybe you could work increases instead of decreases and decreases instead of increases, but, I don't think it would be as easy to work. The beauty of this heel is it has gussets to cover my thick ankles/instep, then short rows to create the heel turn and flap. So, it sort of looks like a short row heel, but a lot deeper without being wider.
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  2:58:17 PM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in for the Sock A Long Revival.

January 08 - first pair of socks ever for me. Fortissimo self patterning
February 08 - Socks for DIL. And about to cast on for DS.

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?