Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 No Blog required Sockalong Part II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  10:14:19 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Puppy didn't eat the sock. I guess he didn't like the needles sticking out..... But he felted the ball of yarn
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  4:24:11 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy. Those puppies! He had a good chew on it for awhile then, felting with a puppy? Hmm. Is there are future in it? Works better than my washer, that hot puppy breath and saliva. (I just watched Babe, so got to see all those cute little border collie pups again). Just looked at the "seduction" socks and agree, it's a very pretty pattern. Looks like fun. The yarn used in the sample is calling to me but... *sings the "I can't buy anything!" mantra* hehe

Wendy you must nearly be finished with Embossed Leaves? That's a beautiful sock pattern.

I've been working on the two socks, and the shawl and aran in spurts. The tall sock looked like it had eaten over half the yarn so before doing the toe I weighed the sock and the ball of yarn remaining. The yarn ball is still over half the weight so there will be no contrasting toes required on boot sock. 100 grams of the Lana Grossa yarn is doing well.

Yesterday I looked at all the sock patterns downloaded. There must be 75 of them. Now to make the time to knit them all. I tell you, Jane's Hedgerow is a joy. Love it, just the right amount of complexity to sooth a brain flogged by lace shawl/aran knitting.

Hope that everyone is finding time to knit a bit on their socks. I find it very soothing and productive, much more so than the slow moving large projects.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:05:05 AM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember SABLE (stash available beyond life expectancy)? Mine is SPABLE sock patterns available beyond life expectancy! I just copied a few more from the spring issue of Creative Knitting.

DS1's socks did not get as far as I had hoped on the trip, but there is always this nice 3 day weekend, starting tonight at 7 pm. I bought extra yarn for the heels and toes, started the heel, didn't like the look, and decided to shorten the cuff by an inch and then knit like mad to the toes, weigh the leftover skein and hope there is enough for #2S.

One of the patterns from Creative Knitting is some cute Mary Jane's for a friend with a 2 day old baby girl, Ella.

I have also been working on a shawl, figure 8 pattern. Those pesky YO's.

I know Spring arrived here at 11:48 pm last night, but the prediction is snow for the weekend - great knitting weather.

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree snow=great knitting weather. We have some here today too.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (and other projects), the leg on my 2nd sock isn't as far as it could have been, but I'm plugging along on it.
Go to Top of Page

funnyfarm
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:42:14 AM  Show Profile Send funnyfarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one sock finally done - I even weaved in the ends:) But have yet to CO for the mate - and now I am not sure I even remember how many, I am a bad, bad notetaker. I am at the heel for my toe up lacy sock, need to stick in a lifeline and take a whack at the heel. I think, after much deliberation, I am going with a flap and gusset heel rather than the short row. I don't exactly have a pattern for my particular sock, but I think I can make it work using another SSS pattern - different stitch counts, but that should be okay if I just stick with the ratios - right?
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  2:01:42 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, funnyfarm, the ratio for dividing the stitches half and half, instep and heel? That should work. And you would want to be sure you knit the heel deep enough is all. Somewhere around 30 rows give or take some. You are pretty brave m'Girl. Also you've probably done it already but it's possible to count the stitches on the leg of your first sock to know the amount. Just get out the magnifiers.

Wendy .... snow? You too, Steph? wow. That is so interesting but not very kind to the plants and trees if they were budding out.

Oh, my goodness, the web patterns. Who can resist those free ones? Certainly, I cannot. There are so many beautiful ones. There is such generosity in the knitting community. "sock patterns available beyond life expectancy" LOL so true.

Everyone who celebrates it is wished a Happy Easter. *imagine two cute dancing easter eggs*

I'm doing some sock knitting on the SAME OLD SOCKS but they are getting there.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  1:25:01 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That darn boot sock is getting mighty tall. I forgot to figure in the heel as part of the length. I think it might end up with tan, white or solid red toes.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  1:46:42 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I'm reading about lace, leaf, boot, every kind of sock! I'm on my third pair of plain, plain, 2X2 ribbed socks. However, when I'm done with this pair, I'm going to venture into something a little more difficult. I'll link a pic of my boring socks soon!! I actually do like all of the yarns that I've used, so it's only the pattern that's boring!!

Now I'm looking to buy new shoes for my new socks!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Sandyt! That's why sock yarns are so popular I think. There's a million exciting 100 gram projects out there, and the gorgeous yarns to do them in! It's GREAT! Crocs really show off socks. Somewhere someone posted about the Queen of Crocs. A woman who has all colors ever made. Best Wishes on the shoe search.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  1:59:56 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh,,,,,Crocs!!! I'll take a look in my travels!! Fun colors, too!!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  1:32:55 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something comes to mind about "Loopy". I'm trying to remember where I saw that fabulous collection.

Some of the stuff used today ( termite exorcism) smells like an Orange tree has been planted in my back yard. I've always wanted an orange tree.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  8:09:19 PM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My gram had orange trees in her yard in Florida, along with lemons, figs (my all-time fav) and chile peppers planted among her flowers. It was wonderful!

I'm working on my second sock, and I'm about to turn the heel. I've made all of my socks a little too big-next pair I'll cast on fewer stitches. I have rather large (oh-who's kidding who-they're very large!) and I'm always afraid that they won't fit.

Anyway, I'm sick of the same old pattern-this is pair #3 of just ribbed cuffs. I'm anxious to try something new!

I saw the "loopy" sock collection-amazing!!! And the sock yarn collection!

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  10:46:43 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi you all,

I haven't dropped off the knitting twig but it's close. Duties at home call me, and this house just has to be got back together or I'll go crazy. Most of the work is mine because the stuff is mine.

I am working inches on the two socks. And it looks a lot like I'll have to put black toes on the tall socks. This is causing a bit of project angst and avoidance.

That's it, Sandy, the Loopy Ewe Blog. And orange blossoms remind me of the time that we were just newly married and lived a few doors from an orange orchard. It was heavenly when they were blossoming. We would walk in the orchard, which was huge, and breath it all in. Red chili peppers are truly beautiful in a garden.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:50:51 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The chiles were beautiful among the flowers.

The loopy ewe!! That's it!! Thanks!

My second sock is advancing---I had a momentary loss of being-every time I get to the point to turn a heel, I have a complete memory blank. Which way? this way? that way? It took 2 days, and frogging probably 10 times. Now, I'm on my way again!

Orange blossom scents fill the senses!!
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  12:37:57 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my seduction socks are on hold while I try to make MIL a pair of Fair Isle socks. After a garter stitch top a couple rows of geometric pattern then a section the says 'relax' yeah, right, I'll relax after I give them to her.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  10:46:47 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Socker, Fair Isle. They are beautiful but they are so time consuming. Best Wishes on getting them finished. I loved your joke!

Sandy, isn't that collection amazing? I don't feel guilty about my sock yarn anymore. At all. [:00] And yes, the heel can do that. I've put the heel cup at the beginning of the heel flap a couple of times when I was very, very tired. heehee

I've lost a dpn sock needle, temporarily I hope. One of the shorties that I'm using for Jane's Hedgerows. And this AM we got a little rain. Just enough to tease the flowers and make sure 1 million new and tiny weeds get a start. I have so much work to do today. Holding my doggie, knitting, reading, and taking a rest cure day! What could be better?

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella, I'm always losing those DPNs, especially the small ones.
I started and finished a baby hat in between working on my sock, but I'm getting to the heel now. Just a few more rows. I was frantically looking for the first sock for a while, but finally found it in the car!

I want to make baby socks next. Those should be cute. I have a few free patterns in mind.

Sandy, you're smelling orange blossoms? I envy you. How about a virtual wiff?

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  7:52:32 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Wendy those little short needles just jump into the tiniest of spots. I finally found it just under the hem of a skirt on the nightstand. In celebration, I proceeded to knit a whole INCH of the short sock. Glad you found that sock!

Well, that's my progress. Tomorrow maybe a bit more, too, and maybe more rain. Usually if they announce any rain here it scares the storm away!

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One sock down and the 2nd is finished through the leg. Just thought I'd post for once. It's fun to read of everyone progress.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  11:01:42 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay and Congratulations Debbi. You'll be done fast with that second sock.

It is hotter than any April I remember with two days in the 90s. I didn't knit. That is excuse # 147. I know. i know... *slinks off to pet the yarn*

I'm knitting almost to the toe on both socks. They will be done tomorrow and the red boot sock is not going to need a black toe. Small Victories! *celebration dance with sock waving*

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.