Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Felting Books and Patterns
 Nikki Epstien's Felted Bags book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tsc_knitter
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  7:22:14 PM  Show Profile Send tsc_knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did any one check out Nikki Epstien's new felted bags book. She has some beautiful and amazingly creative designs! I could spend hours reading through that book, but I'm not likely to do any of the projects. I think they were a bit fashion avant-garde for me!

What did you think?

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  7:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that book. I just looked through it yesterday. It was a tossup between that book and the folk bags book. Great patterns! Once I finish my Weekend Getaway Satchel, I'll know if I want to do more intarsia (I think I will....).
Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:37:33 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that book will eventually make it home with me too! They're a bit over the top - statement bags to say the least. Lots of ideas there and the Swan will definitely be made - Bjork eat your heart out.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

charli@snet.net
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  04:52:08 AM  Show Profile Send charli@snet.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm making the Jacobean right now and it's going much quicker than I expected. Probably because I usually do intarsia on 2 or 3's!

I didn't think I'd like a bag, but I think I'm going to make more!
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  05:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't the one bag - I think now called the Jacobean - the exact same one that she put in IK in the fall of 2004? If so, it's the only one of these I would actually knit, and has been on my to-do list since I received that IK. If anyone has both that issue of IK and the book I would love it if you could double check those patterns for me.

The rest of the designs are way too far out there for my taste. Most of them look like she just took a good idea and went too far.

I received Woodland Woolwork's catalog yesterday and they've kitted all of the purses. I haven't seen the actual book yet, but they had all of the pictures in their catalog so that they could advertise the kits. (This is actually why I want someone to check the patterns...I'll order the kit if they are the same!)

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  07:49:41 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw these featured in the Woodland Woolwork's catalog and I didn't see any that I would want to make. I agree with Kristin.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  08:13:47 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so torn....I think the designs are incredibly imaginative and look like they would be so fun to knit. On the other hand, I would never carry any of these bags, and I can't think of anyone I know who would either.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

charli@snet.net
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  09:04:33 AM  Show Profile Send charli@snet.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check tonight to see if I have the fall 2004 issue and will check the pattern as well, but I believe that it is the exact same one as I've seen that posted someplace else
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  09:43:41 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the book and the kit for the bag yesterday. I am taking a class from So Much Yarn on the Jacobean next month. I think the bags are cute and would like to do a couple more if the first one turns out alright, but next time use the Peruvian Wool from Elann dbl. Cheaper. I would like to do the Fuschia bag I love it. So Much Yarn in Seattle had all the bags at the Madrona Fiber Retreat and all are great looking. I could see using just for the fun of it. Yes the Jacobean was in the 2004. I liked it then too! The kitty/mouse bag would be cute for my gd and the Swan bag was fantastic, although I would pass on the one.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola - Have you compared the yarn amounts and colors for the Jacobean bag in the two seperate publications? I don't want to buy the book, but will order the kit if those are the same.

The picture in Woodland Woolworks looks almost like there have been some changes made in the structure of the bag, but I can't be sure. I adored the original design, and that would be the one I would want to use. (Plus, there's no need to buy the book for one pattern if I already own it!)

Thanks!
Kristin
Go to Top of Page

charli@snet.net
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  05:03:26 AM  Show Profile Send charli@snet.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished knitting Jacobean and it was beautiful! The operative word here is WAS though! When I tried felting it, the dye ran (kind of a pretty blue) and it muddied up the becautiful pinks and greens! So now I'm left with something very muted. I can probably emproider over it in the colors to accent and maybe add some beads, but I'm quite disappointed. I do have enough colored yarn to make another try of it, if I buy the brown, but I think for now I'm going to sit tight.

Go to Top of Page

tyffaneesue
Gabber Extraordinaire

572 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  08:59:56 AM  Show Profile Send tyffaneesue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charli@snet.net

When I tried felting it, the dye ran (kind of a pretty blue) and it muddied up the becautiful pinks and greens! So now I'm left with something very muted.

What yarn did you use?
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  09:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KD did I answer your ?. The answer is Yes they are the same. There is a error in the pattern: When you start do the dowl casing, ridge and then to the back you should do 3 rows of purl and then start the chart. I started a class yesterday on the Jacobean. That is what she told us in class, she called someone about it. I hope what I just wrote makes sense.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

charli@snet.net
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  12:05:28 PM  Show Profile Send charli@snet.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the yarn that came in the kit. Just what the pattern called for. I'd be interested to see how the person doing it in class makes out. I may give it another try as I have enough of the colored yarn and will only have to purchase the brown.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe