Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 can't post this in the sock forum...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  5:16:41 PM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cause all the sock lovers lurk there - but is there anyone else who just can't find joy in knitting socks? I bought all this great sock yarn - new circulars - after thinking that the 2 circular route might be better than my first attempt with DPs - and suffice it to say - my most recent purchase? The book "Not just Socks" so that I can use up my sock yarn on other things....

Is it just me? They are just too darn SMALL!!!

Andrea

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  5:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do most of my knitting while walking, so small is my favorite thing about socks. But I'm sure they aren't for everyone. If you wish to get rid of your sock yarn and needles, I'm sure you can find plenty of people who will take them. (what do you have? I have a love of sock yarn. It doesn't take up much space, and I know I like to use it)

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

caitlynknits
Chatty Knitter

275 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  5:22:53 PM  Show Profile Send caitlynknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Andrea,

I hated knitting socks until I learned the Magic Loop method. I couldn't stand using size 1 DPNs because my progress was so darn slow! Magic Loop is much, much quicker for me, and I've found that I don't mind knitting on #1s when using Magic Loop. I have not tried socks on 2 circs but I've heard good things.

But sock knitting isn't for everyone!! Perhaps it's really not your thing, and that's perfectly ok!

Caitlyn

http://www.knotwithoutmyknitting.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  5:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpinDiva

Cause all the sock lovers lurk there - but is there anyone else who just can't find joy in knitting socks? Is it just me? They are just too darn SMALL!!!

sock lovers lurk here too............

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  5:35:26 PM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

quote:
Originally posted by SpinDiva

Cause all the sock lovers lurk there - but is there anyone else who just can't find joy in knitting socks? Is it just me? They are just too darn SMALL!!!

sock lovers lurk here too............

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... you're supposed to be lurking :)

Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  6:18:53 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just pass over the sock yarn and no one will get hurt! ;D

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  6:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pieheart

Just pass over the sock yarn and no one will get hurt! ;D

pieheart

Yes, it is ok for you to not want to knit socks, as long as you appease us with your sock yarn.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  7:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and, of course, if you have any extra sock needles you won't be using for socks or lace, pass them over too!

Yes, it is perfectly ok for someone to decide some particular part of any given hobby just isn't for them. and it leaves more sock yarn on the market for the rest of us, too. <giggle>
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  7:32:32 PM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just been turned on to socks...I have a short attention span for projects, so sweaters, afghans etc bore me. I like the socks too for "portability" and you can make them as "challenging" as you want. But it took me a LONG time to even try because I really don't like, or dare I say, hate DPNs.

It sounds like I'm a sock lover and am trying to convert...sorry. Don't mean to sound that way.

Kristin

"Dogs have masters, cats have servants"
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  7:38:30 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To each his/her own! I love socks, but I don't love other things (sweaters!). But don't apologize! More sock yarn for the rest of us!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  7:57:52 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put off making socks for a long time because I thought I'd hate using dpns and it looked really complicated. Love making them now. But the thing to remember is that it should be fun. If it's too much like work, it's time to move on and find something else to try.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

pixiepurls
Gabber Extraordinaire

373 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  8:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit pixiepurls's Homepage Send pixiepurls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer Magic Loop to be sure, only way its fun for me!

http://www.pixiepurls.com
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  8:25:25 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, you shouldn't knit socks just because "everyone" else is doing it. "everyone" else is knitting a lot of things. You may not be ready. You may never be ready. You may prefer gloves. Also, check out the great baby sweater on Knitty.com archives that uses self-patterning yarn (I think it's Devon, but I may be wrong).

Oh, and hand the rest of the yarn over to the sock mafia for letting you NOT knit socks <grin> Sorry, just watched Goodfellas and I guess it rubbed off on me a bit. LOL

pieheart, who has probably played the gangster enough for one day

Go to Top of Page

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  9:04:10 PM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so knitting ADD, I have to have a change in the pattern or instructions to keep my attention well. Socks also don't need seaming (hooray!). You go through interesting, often changing, stages to get to the end product...which appeals to me. But I do understand your feelings. I did wonder about the rage when I first started knitting. After all, this is something that was going on the FOOT, inside a shoe...not even seen. Wouldn't a sweater be more noble? But I really hate doing sweaters, and socks are so portable (doctors office, lunch break, vacation car trips). In our family they seem to have more of a 'love message' (*gag*,...okay, but it works for us), than a sweater or scarf. The idea of an afghan makes my head hurt.
Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come back Andrea, come back to the sock side You see how we found you

All kidding aside, socks are not for everyone. Just like Fair Isle isn't or Lace. You do what kind of knitting gives you the most pleasure. And who knows, someday you may decide to give socks another chance. Or not. In the meantime, you just give me those books, needles and yarn to keep for you [:00]

Suzann

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://lostpurl.blogspot.com/

http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  12:31:05 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Andrea,

No it is not just you, I have tried to knit socks so many times and the yarn is so thin, it takes you two weeks just to get the ribbbing done (bit of an exaggeration).

Also I can never get the heel right, this is after 40 years of knitting.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Helga
New Pal

Switzerland
25 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  05:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Helga's Homepage Send Helga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote
And who knows, someday you may decide to give socks another chance. Or not.
[/quote]

I am knitting since childhood but until two years ago I hated knitting socks. Now I like it. But I cannot find any rational reason for this change of my mind...
Helga

www.helgaswebstube.ch
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  05:59:02 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it ironic how all the sock lovers are weighing in? To my regret, I've been knitting fewer socks lately because it's a strain on my poor eyesight. It's too bad because socks are a most useful and portable project. However, I still can't resist sock yarn and am now turning some of the nicest sock yarn into lace shawls and scarves using bigger needles. Fingering/sock weight yarn is most useful because it can be used singly for small things and doubled for bigger projects. And there is so much fabulous sock yarn out there!
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  06:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit socks as I do a lot of my knitting on crowded public transport - it's just more courteous to fellow users not to be elbowing and jabbing them as well as being so much easier to carry about. Mind you, it is lovely to come home and 'spread out' with a larger project.

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

MoonKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  06:26:34 AM  Show Profile Send MoonKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely do not like knitting socks. Not because they're too small, but it's just too boring to me. I always feel like I could make a sweater quicker than I could make one sock. Or if I'm knitting on a sock, I can only think about other more exciting projects I'd rather be working on. Now I stay at home with my kids, so 99% of my knitting is done at home and big projects aren't an obstacle. I'm thinking if I was knitting away from home more, socks might be an option, be even then I'm not sure. I don't mind using double points, I don't mind knitting on "toothpicks", but for some reason, I just don't like knitting socks. So Andrea, you're not the only one!
Kelli
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  06:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helga

[quote
And who knows, someday you may decide to give socks another chance. Or not.

I am knitting since childhood but until two years ago I hated knitting socks. Now I like it. But I cannot find any rational reason for this change of my mind...
Helga

www.helgaswebstube.ch
[/quote]

We have been calling to you my precious, come to us, come to us
If you find sock knitting boring Kelli, maybe you need to try a pattern stitch. Take a look at the Embossed Leaf socks I just finished on my blog and the pair of lace ones I just started. Trust me they are not boring, in fact the pair I just started have been tricksy wee devils. On the other hand Yarn Harlot said there are about 17,000 stitches in the average pair of socks. A number I would rather not think about.
As I said before you should knit only what gives you pleasure. Of course if the Ice Age returns, you will want to move close to those of us who have the sock yarn and needles

Suzann

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://lostpurl.blogspot.com/

http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by