Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Articles, Magazines, Books, and Links
 Spinning for Softness & Speed Reprint?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dj524
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  10:26:26 PM  Show Profile Send dj524 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for this book and read it was supposed to be reprinted. I haven't been able to find it as such, anyone know of someplace to get it (other than amazon where it's $40)?

Donna

jen.j
New Pal

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile Send jen.j a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Checkout http://www.patgreencarders.com/about.htm : "Now reprinted: Paula’s book ‘Spinning for Softness and Speed’ detailing the one-hand soft-yard method for controlling twist and yarn size. $20 US including postage." (Paula Simmons is Pat Green's partner.)

The phone number for ordering is 1-877-898-2273
Go to Top of Page

dj524
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  5:08:29 PM  Show Profile Send dj524 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, found it!!

Donna
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have any idea what this book is about? (just curious).
Go to Top of Page

KromGal
Gabber Extraordinaire

594 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  7:44:21 PM  Show Profile Send KromGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure. It's a seldom taught method or technique that Paula calls "one of the five basic" spinning techniques. It's a one-handed, or point of contact method that, when mastered, enables the spinner to spin faster, better, softer yarn. She claims you can conquer "overtwist" in a day and even learn to spin without looking! I keep trying....
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  06:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did an interlibrary loan. I don't know if my library will be able to find it or not. They are notorious on sending me alot of letters saying they aren't able to find some books I want to read. Ugh!
Go to Top of Page

gwenith
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  11:41:41 AM  Show Profile Send gwenith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do hope you can see a copy soon.
It, and using a supported spindle, and a book charka made me a spinner.

Spinning was my basic rehab after a massive bleed brain attack. By watching my left hand long draw, I got motor control back. I didn't get back most of the sensory perception.

Years before, I had used the lofty, air trapping long draw spin, ply, knit yarns to re-educate those who thought wool had to be heavy on old arthritic shoulders.

Eventually, It was the basic foundation for my worsted and semi-worsted lace wt yarns.

Would a lys, teacher, crafting group have a copy in their personal library? Check the thrift stores for books and tools too.
enjoy, :)gwenith
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  12:35:49 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd buy anything that would guarantee I wouldn't over twist again.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long did it take to get the book? I sent a check with a note to the address on their website on 8/10 so it's just been two weeks since mailing it, but I wondered how long it took others. Thanks!

azblue
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought mine from Susan's Fiber Shop. I rang Paula Simmons for a copy but they don't sell overseas and she pointed me to Susan's. Very good, speedy service from Susan.

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

BlueShadow1
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  1:52:29 PM  Show Profile Send BlueShadow1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can recommend Paula's technique. I got the book about a year ago and have really seen a difference in my spinning. I spin faster, in a more relaxed manner, and my yarn is more even with less effort, since I started using this method. I still can't spin without looking (and don't know if I ever will (grin!))
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:06:23 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My check was cashed yesterday so hopefully I'll receive the book soon. I'm looking forward to reading it.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

swanknitter
New Pal

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  07:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit swanknitter's Homepage Send swanknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a tad bit disappointed as it dictates a type of spinning which obviously a lot of spinners want to learn but I don't. I am one of those boring inch-worm worsted spinners and am happy doing it. I have no desire to learn to do this sort of spinning and if I could find where in this house the book went to hide from me I would offer it to a new home, I will never be as dedicated or as co-ordinated enough to spin for softness or speed.

Carol
swanknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

diane leirer
Chatty Knitter

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  3:28:11 PM  Show Profile Send diane leirer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought my copy from an Ebay seller. I paid 20-something dollars for it.
I just did a search before posting this--here is a seller offering three copies on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPINNING-FOR-SOFTNESS-AND-SPEED-PAULA-SIMMONS_W0QQitemZ280064128270QQihZ018QQcategoryZ36601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Go to Top of Page

melissajean
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  7:01:34 PM  Show Profile Send melissajean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book is available:

http://www.bookman.ca/Bookman-Swag/Spinning-for-Softness-and-Speed

Happy knitting
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by