Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Why Felt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  8:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll ask the question about felting others have asked about socks and lace .... why??

it seems to be very popular at my LYS but I haven't been able to figure out why. I did one felted project but still fail to understand this craze.

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  8:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same reason I like socks and lace: It is like a magic trick. I love that I can make something big and floppy and useless looking into something functional. It is great to be able to do something that should destroy knitting (throw it in the wash) and have it turn into something better.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  9:27:16 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brandy summed it succinctly!

M L
Others may ask, "What's in your wallet?" But I ask, "What's on your needles?"
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  9:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  02:52:09 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the word I've used with other people too -- magic. I still marvel at how (like you said) a huge floppy piece of knitting turns into this really cool textured fabric! I made a knitting bag and clog slippers, and I'm doing felted bowls now. I will probably do a smaller version of my knitting bag as a purse too.
Go to Top of Page

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  06:05:45 AM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a recent felting addict, I feel the element of risk and adventure is what got me hooked. Yes, you can follow a pattern - but there are no guarantees on how it will felt! And, I rarely knit anything according to the pattern - I change yarn, add a novelty, add a few stitches. I think felters are big risk takers who like the element of surprise - and when I just spent hours knitting something that didn't felt the way I like (I recently made a bag that my 10 year old commented, "Hey mom, you made a canoe!") I laugh and learn from what happened, then cut it up and make something else.

With regular knitting, I see what is happening on the needles before I'm finished - and if I don't like it while I'm knitting I stop and start a different project. I can't stop with felting. How many felters out there have any unfinished felting projects still on the needles? I bet very few....
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  07:33:33 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the above, plus it's hard to knit a hat or mittens that will be as warm and water-and-wind-resistant as felted ones.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  08:51:06 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, the magic is secondary. As yarnlover said, the fabric can't be beat for warmth and water resistance in hats and mittens.

Felting also makes a much better purse or bag: while sharp or pointed objects can poke through felted material, it's much more difficult to do than through (just) knitted material.

Then there's the change in color, the softening and muting that occurs with some yarns during felting.

Let's face it: artists don't paint the same picture over and over again, or use the same colors or even types of paint over and over again. I look at felting as using watercolors instead of oils, just for a bit of a different picture. A different media, so to speak...

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Rooster
Chatty Knitter

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  2:03:18 PM  Show Profile Send Rooster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As others have said, felting is like magic, but I also like felting for the resulting thick, dense, sturdy fabric. I like to make accessories (slippers, bags, mittens, etc.) vs. clothing items like sweaters (I hate the finishing work, and the item doesn't always fit like you had hoped). Felted items also knit up quickly, and for me, that's instant gratification. I'm addicted and I'm loving it.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's magic and it's an adventure -- you never know "for sure" how it is going to turn -- most probably the way the picture in the pattern shows but maybe not. And if you don't like how it turns out -- just pull and shape it into something you do like.

And if you are designing, like I am, it's really an adventure. I'm totally hooked on it. To me the question is "why not felt". (And keep that superwash yarn away from me!)

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com www.heritagerecipes.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com www.the-knittery.com
www.maryadrenedesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

CharRube
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  11:13:56 PM  Show Profile Send CharRube a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As alot of others have said, It's magic when you felt! It doesn't hurt either when you're carrying a felted bag and it is noticed by someone who haven't ever seen one before. I can't tell you how many people are drawn to one of my bags when I'm out. They ask questions and can't believe that it is knitted. What fun! Char Rube
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug1023
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  05:50:37 AM  Show Profile Send knitterbug1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above! Plua, I think it's a good way to practice knitting for the novice. Your mistakes are forgiven when you felt the fabric. You can also make purses that don't require any lining(sewing)which is great for those of us that are sewing challenged!

Robin
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  11:46:55 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's diversion-something different-a different process, a different finished product. I felt occasionally-especially when I have alot of wool yarn odds and ends. But, I do love the felted clogs--and along with hats and a pair or two of socks, will make great gifts this holiday!!!
Go to Top of Page

dFrame
Chatty Knitter

123 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  11:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit dFrame's Homepage Send dFrame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm simply in love with thick, hard felt-- it's an amazing craft item for sculpture of all sorts.

But I don't knit and felt-- I'm a shrunken-sweater recycler. Then it costs very, very little to make something lovely and fast.

visit http://dvivid.blogspot.com to be vivid just like you
Go to Top of Page

Bristolknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  4:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bristolknits's Homepage Send Bristolknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy the challenge of thinking about shapes,such as in pottery shaped bowls, and then "sculpting" them with the increases & decreases in my knitting. When the project felts to the shape I had envisioned...it's great! However,I learn just as much my the mis-shapes as the successes!
Carol in VT
http://bristolknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dFrame
Chatty Knitter

123 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit dFrame's Homepage Send dFrame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few of my felted wool creations are on my blogsite under "handwork and fiber art." I still need to collect more photos together-- I must've made fifty treasure bags, each one different. I also crafted a purple plaid bowler for my daughter (I don't post photos of my children on my blog, and sometimes I forget to photograph the object separately.)

visit http://dvivid.blogspot.com to be vivid just like you
Go to Top of Page

sarahthomasknits
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  9:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send sarahthomasknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never felted, so I comment from complete inexperience, but why not just buy wool felt and sew it together. All that trouble making each and every one of those stitches - only to wash them away? I don't get it (but by next week, I expect I'll be hooked too!)
Go to Top of Page

WarmFuzzy
Warming Up

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  01:52:13 AM  Show Profile Send WarmFuzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interweave is bringing this out July 17th, felting has lots of fans.

Blog: HatboxRose
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  03:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Felting yields a huge variety of results - very forgiving results - and it can be used to create vessels, bowls, home decor and more - in addition to hats and mittens for warmth, and bags for sturdiness. It's always fun to see the magic - as so many others have pointed out. If you've never tried it, I strongly urge you to - and I think you might become hooked!

Some of mine can be seen on my flickr site in the Home Decor set on the right. More on the blog and Etsy shop.

Scarf It Up!
Wearable Fiber Arts
Port City Pottery & Fine Crafts
In the Cotton Exchange
Wilmington NC

http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
http://creativewilmington.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup

Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  04:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above - and not least of which is that all your mistakes just disappear in the wash!

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well knit!"
visit me at www.janevdoviak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dscanlon
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  04:57:24 AM  Show Profile Send dscanlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I first saw a felted cloche someone else made, and I recall feeling awed. (This was way before the felting/fulling craze.) Years later, I was recruited to knit sheep from the FiberTrends pattern, and I experienced awe once again when I fished the woolly critter out of the washing machine and found it transformed! I've made a number of felted objects since--one of my favorite patterns is the felted mittens with knitted cuffs in Knit One Felt Two--although I can't say I'm obsessed.

What Would Gromit Do?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.