Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Best sock yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  12:52:14 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For all you sock knitters, what is your favorite for wearability? I want to make some, but don't want them getting holes in them on the third or fourth wear!

Polly

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  9:24:04 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To ensure the best wear I would stick with regular wool or wool/cotton blend sock yarns that have some nylon fiber. Brands like Opal, Regia, Trekking, etc. There are some yarns that are softer but they will likely not wear as well. I would avoid the "budget" sock yarns like Knitpicks. I have used a couple of different sock yarns from them and while some of the patterning is nice, the yarn just doesn't seem as strong or well spun as the regular sock yarn brands.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  11:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knit tightly enough and any sock yarn will hold up brilliantly. IME, if you're getting 10 st/in, anything short of cashmere will last quite a while.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  05:17:43 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not thrilled with the yarn myself, but LB Magic Stripes is indestructable! I make socks for DS who wears them with or without shoes, inside and out, in snow (without shoes) on the driveway, sliding on wooden floors and carpet, and the only reason I knit more socks for him is that he outgrows them. He loves them, when they get too small to pull on his heel, he wears the heel on the bottom of his foot and they become short anklets in time for summer. Kind of nice actually, his foot is not getting any smaller, and at a size 8 mens not as quickly knit up as when he was a size 3! Hey, if he's not complaining, I'm not complaining!

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  05:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had great luck w/ Opal, Trekking XXL, Plymouth Encore & LB Magic Stripes. My Memere made us (all 22 grandkids) socks for years & years out of LB Woolease & even tho she's been dead almost 14 years the socks we had before that STILL are around & wear well!

If you're using a "better" sock yarn I would be sure to follow the care label to the letter, otherwise have at it!!
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  06:34:47 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all!

Polly
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  12:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plymouth Sockotta is another good long-wearing yarn. It's part cotton, so is great for summer socks, and the ones I've made have worn like iron in spite of the destructiveness of my toes.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  4:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Lisa Souza Sock! yarns http://www.lisaknit.com

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com www.heritagerecipes.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com www.the-knittery.com
www.maryadrenedesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  9:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far my Wool Ease socks have worn holes, my Plymouth Knitaly socks have worn holes, but my Regia socks are still going.

I am working on Knit Picks socks, and can see where they might not last as long, but that just means I can knit some more!

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  9:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P.S. I have gotten holes in some of mine, but it was way past the 3rd or 4th wear -- I wear them and wash them and the holes happen months later. So they're not indestructable, but not that fragile either.

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Blue Chase
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  9:54:19 PM  Show Profile Send Blue Chase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with LittleMousling, I think a big factor in durability is gauge. I tend to shoot for 9sts/in but I think 8sts/in is acceptible as well.

You can also reinforce potentional trouble spots with sock reinforcement or Wooly Nylon(sewing section of craft store). I have a friend that uses this method on heels as well as knitting heels/toes with one needle size smaller.

I know a lot of people like soft merino wools like Koigu for socks, but I am reluctant to use them due to concerns about wear and piling...but I'm sure the feel great :-)

Yarn with nylon is a must.
Go to Top of Page

JulieB
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
521 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  10:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit JulieB's Homepage Send JulieB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Koigu socks (100% wool) are wearing far better than my Lorna's Laces (80/20 wool/nylon). There's been no pilling, no felting, no shrinkage. I've been wearing them once a week for about 6 months and they are just feeling better and better and are still looking great. The LL's are showing their age.

Buy the Koigu! On second thoughts, don't buy the Koigu - more for me!!

Julie.

My blog: http://www.julie.stuffworld.info/
Go to Top of Page

musindigo@gmail.com
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  11:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit musindigo@gmail.com's Homepage Send musindigo@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i like Koigu, too. and, Fleece Artist Merino for a bit of colourful fun (and both wear fairly well; the Fleece Artist gets a bit of a halo but not pills). for standard daily walk-all-the-time sox i like DGB Confetti or Phildar Preface. i have had some Fortissima Colori snag easily and found holes, like there was a ply that wasn't as strong as the others or something (not on the soles, in the cuffs) but that may have been just a fluke; it happened only with one pair.

Lori
http://www.indigoblues.ca/musindigo
Oceanwind Knits
http://www.oceanwindknits.ca
Go to Top of Page

Marlyce
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  02:00:22 AM  Show Profile Send Marlyce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the socks I've knit using "sock" yarn have survived well. (I also knit I-cord shoelaces to match them!! quite dazzling!!)
However a pair I knit with leftover yarn from a Shelridge Farms kit, and then walked out on the concrete driveway, did get holes in them. But I darned them just like in the "olden days". I love the feel of handknit socks. Marlyce
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  03:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree also that in my experience the most important factor is the gauge. I have a pair of socks that I have been wearing hard every winter since 1998 and they are no where near getting a hole. It's just that they are worsted weight yarn knit at 6 sts/inch. Other worsted weight boot socks that I have knit at ~4 or 4.5 have gotten holes fairly quickly.

Marlyce, they icord shoelaces sound adorable! what a great idea.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting and Gallery
Ithaca S'n B Blog
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  04:08:14 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use wool/nylon blend sock yarn at a tight gauge (10 sts/in). I have socks that were made in 1998 that are just now wearing at the heel. I wear my handknit socks every day. For long lasting socks my recommendation is to knit an afterthought heel. That way both the heel and toe are easily ripped out and replaced as needed. I've done that with socks I knit from Baby Ull.
Go to Top of Page

knitegrity
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  04:55:11 AM  Show Profile Send knitegrity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by pieheart

I am not thrilled with the yarn myself, but LB Magic Stripes is indestructable! I make socks for DS who wears them with or without shoes, inside and out, in snow (without shoes) on the driveway, sliding on wooden floors and carpet,

That is so funny! I don't mean to be a yarn snob of sorts but I guess I have a fear of using a cheaper yarn for anything. If I knit something I want it to last and look great ya know! I did a scarf once in LB homespun and after about a month it looked old and worn out. I'll have to give their sock yarn a try though. I have made the mistake of knitting wool socks with no reinforcing thread and now I have a pile of socks in need of darning!
Also, Elann.com has sock reinforcing thread at a good price of course. Stock up on all colors!!!
Thanks,

Knit One,
diana
Go to Top of Page

kwajknitter
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  05:05:43 AM  Show Profile Send kwajknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am finding that I am addicted to wearing handmade socks and thankfully, I like to knit them. I am becoming finiky about the yarn-I love the softness of Lornas Lace type yarn and am very willing to knit with reinforcement yarn on the heel and toe. I am also willing to darn-boy am I bad at it so far-just so I can enjoy the soft feel of the sock longer. Opal and Regina are long wearing, but no where near as comfy, I don;t think.
Go to Top of Page

Raven Black
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  06:23:33 AM  Show Profile Send Raven Black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gauge does make a big difference. The more dense, the longer wearing. I have knit sport wt. socks with Regia & Lion Brand at 7 sts to the inch. Still going strong. The worsted wt. socks knit at 4-5 sts. to an inch = holes in heels. LB Magic stripes also very durable. I have also read that you shouldn't walk around on nylon/synthetic type carpeting with your socks because that wears them out very quickly. Of course, many of us knit slipper socks so what's a knitter to do? Knit more socks! ;-}

Ravengirl in central Ariz.
Go to Top of Page

~Jo~
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~Jo~'s Homepage Send ~Jo~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My best wearing socks at the moment are Koigu and Regia socks. The Lorna's Laces aren't doing so good, yet no holes, they just don't look as nice as the others. My socks hit the washer and dryer and LL doesn't recommend that so it's probably why they aren't looking their greatest. My boyfriend has some socks knit out of Briggs & Little Tuffy yarn and they have softened up so much. He wears them as soon as they come out of the wash, they have plenty of life left in them too.

~Jo~ mom of two
What am I up too now?
Go to Top of Page

aidangilbert@gmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile Send aidangilbert@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to respectfully disagree with the person who warned against using "cheap" sock yarns from KnitPicks.

I have knit socks from most of the major brands...I like Regia, Sockkota, XXL, Trekking...but I have knit socks from KnitPicks yarns and loved them. I especially like their Essentials which come in some good solid colors -- I'm a guy, and I rarely wear multi-colored socks. I've found the quality of the yarn to be more than acceptable. I haven't had a pair wear out yet!

I do think that guage is a factor in durability. The tighter I knit my socks, the longer they wear. And I think they are more comfortable as well.

Just my two cents.

Aidan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by