Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 Where are the yarn shops in NYC?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shrinknurse
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  12:45:01 PM  Show Profile Send shrinknurse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! My husband and I are traveling to NYC for a week in June. Does anyone know of some yarn shops near Times Square? We are from California and not familiar with the city! Thanks in advance!

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  2:04:27 PM  Show Profile Send KEG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This topic will tell you everything you want to know (and perhaps more!)

http://knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5203

Pay most attention to the most recent entries as the earlier ones are almost 3 years old.

The closest yarn store to Times Sq. is the Yarn Connection, on Madison and 36th (or close to it). Every subway in the city practically goes through Times Sq., though. Take the C train to Spring St. for Purl, or the #1 to 79th St. for Knitty City, for example.

Have a great time. Hope you'll have good weather.

Kate
Go to Top of Page

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  3:13:13 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One caution: I spend a good amount of time in NYC, and sometimes I still can't find the stores because they are on the second floor, and not always well marked. I think I was trying to find Schoolhouse Products, and I was literally standing right out front and still couldn't find it! I finally called them, and they talked me in (it was worth it - great store).
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  5:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
seaport yarn is 3 (4?) stop (on an express A train) from times square --and like Laparnte said--its not visible from the street--its on the 5th floor of an office building.

(if heading to seaport, while waiting for the train, move to the downtown (front end) of the station.. 3 car of train puts you right at stair well, take the nearest ramp, and bob's your uncle, you're at the correct corner. (fulton and william street)

DO PLAN on comfy shoes. (NY is walking city.)
DO get a metro card and take the subway..(NYC and the subway system is very safe. --when in doubt, follow the crowds--
and don't think this only applies to 'peak hours' (there are almost no off peak hours in NYC!)
DO think Vertical and not just horizontal. Lower levels, in court yards, upper floors--(you get a work out just getting to the yarn store!) many Yarns stores are not immediately in sight.

Will you be there mid week? think of taking the E train (catch it at the 8th Ave end of times square and 42nd street) 4 stops to 53rd and Lex(ington Avenue) (be sure to be in the very LAST CAR of E Train!) come up (escalater) and you are at CitiCorp Center..(really if it raining, you won't even get wet!) walk right in, and join the weekly knit meet up.. (6PM to 9PM) (to get back, reverse the trip!

you could also walk over.. its about a mile.. walk across 42nd street till you get to lexington, and then 10 blocks uptown.. --or take the scenic route.
walk cross town to Grand Central station,(enter and see GCS, at back of main lobby (you'll know it from films!)take escallator up to PanAM/(now new Met Life building) walk through lobby, exit, cross street, and walk though Helmsley building (beautiful vaulted ceilings) and find yourself on Park Ave. 2 block north, St Bart's -(again, a NY building you'll recognize from movies) and past the Waldorf Astoria.. all the way up to 52nd street.. turn right, 1 block east to Lexington, and you'll see the CitiCorp building. you can get a bit of sightseeing in!

(let your husband do something that would bore you to tears that night--he has a great time, and so do you!--or have him walk with you (he can continue uptown on lex till he finds the Sony Building and look at electronics!)

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You will not find knitting stores (or with some exceptions good inexpensive restaurants or interesting shopping) in tourist areas like Times Square. All those things are mostly in places where New Yorkers live, like the Upper West Side and the Lower East Side.

Get a map of Manhattan and especially a subway map before you arrive. As previous posters said, don't be afraid to take the subway. Also, NY is a walker's paradise--remember that 20 numbered blocks or 8 avenues equal 1 mile. And you're always safe in a crowd (I'm NY born and bred, and I'm only afraid in a city if there's no one around!) And New Yorkers are the friendliest, most helpful people in the world, so don't be afraid to ask for directions. And NYC cops are extremely polite and helpful.

And if you're staying near Times Square, walk over to 9th Avenue in the 40s for good, reasonably priced ethnic restaurants. And for a fun walk, go straight north on Broadway--after a few midtown blocks you'll pass Columbus Circle, then Lincoln Center, and you can go all the way up the spine of the Upper West Side to Columbia at 116th Street, or you can detour east to Central Park or west to Riverside, or stop off at the Museum of Natural History at 77th street (excellent knitting store right on the way, Knitty City, south side of 79th east of B'way).

Oh--and NYers walk fast. Keep your elbows in, and don't saunter! Have fun.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  3:22:58 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a list with phone numbers so you can call ahead to make sure they're open:

http://www.nyccrochetguild.org/ResourceFile/YarnStores.html
Go to Top of Page

awalka
Chatty Knitter

136 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  12:23:07 AM  Show Profile Send awalka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey, where are you staying in NY - I also love seaport, now I haven't been to all of them, been to YARN CO, Purl, Lion and Lamb but seaport is my favorite, when I was there they had this room with lots of yarns on sale also --- some of them (like yarn co) they have to buzz you in, but seaport I went right up - wear some comfy shoes and dress comfortably, it can get really hot up there with all the cement, there is also a nice store in brooklyn but I am sure you will not go that far out, but my daughter lives there and it's nice to go in one that is busy but not wall to wall people
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  4:50:16 PM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I happened to be in Soho this weekend without a list of yarn shop addresses, but I always say that I can smell yarn, and we happened on Suss. Very nice. Someone greeted me and oriented me to what was there, and I really liked their house brands. Bought quite a bit of heavy worsted weight cotton in lovly bright pastels to make blankets for Project Linus. Not the cheapest, but really nice stuff and good yardage. Nice colors in all the house brand yarns--both subtles and brights.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  11:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be in NYC for a few days in the 2nd week of June, too. I go there not infrequently, but never went yarn shopping there, so I'm looking forward to seeing some of those places in the 14-page thread above.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe