Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 The Sweater Workshop - Jacqueline Fee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  5:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of any errata for the latest edition of this book? I am knitting a v-necked raglan sleeve jersey in the round from the bottom up using this book. I am working on the sleeve/neck-edge decreases at the moment and rapidly running out of yarn. (But that is another story and I have a plan, a painful plan, for this!)

Fee's "recipe" has me decreasing at the raglans every fourth row. When I read EZ's Knitting Without Tears it says to decrease every second row. Ann Budd's Sweater Pattern book (not the correct name but it is in another room) seems to be a combination of both.

Will this jersey work out if I carry on decreasing every fourth row (the neck edge is decreased at the same rate)? I have searched for errata but have turned up nothing. Please? Any ideas?

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  08:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the book near me to double check this. But I made the oatmeal/pink/grey crew neck sweater from near the front of the book. Those decreases came out fine. So you may want to see if the raglan decreases are done the same way in the pattern you're doing. My guess is if they are it will probably be ok.

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  12:59:53 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trick to getting the sweater to fit is not how many rows are between decreases but the distance between the underarm and the shoulder. Take the total number of rows and divide it by your rows per inch to find out your underarm depth. In my experience, I decrease every other row. BUT, I like sleeves that are wider at the underarm. Decreasing every 4th row will make a sweater that is for someone a little taller and a little thinner, on the average.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I am not taller or thinner than average! Guess I will really have to look at the jersey and do some serious maths. I really would like to finish it without having to utilise plan B - cutting() a thread at the bottom and shortening it so I have enough yarn to finish the top. It is tunic-length at the moment so I do have some give and take in the length. Fortunately.

I was a little puzzled by the instructions in this book for the raglan sleeves. It seemed to imply that the neck decreases would change from every 4 rows to every 2 rows at some stage, but this never happened. Could be me, though. I was fairly tired when trying to figure this out. I will sit down with the book, the jersey, a tape measure, calculator,and pen and paper again this afternoon and see if anything changes.

Thank you for your help!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  6:52:03 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just made a sweater using this technique, and just to confuse things further, the raglan decreases started out 4 rows/rounds apart, then switched to every other row/round after 4 sets of decreases. Bottom line: there's no right/wrong, other than as Fran said, measuring your row gauge and your desired yoke (I almost wrote "yolk!") length, and calculating how often you need to decrease. It's a lot of math, but I think it's worth it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  3:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anderknit, did you use this book? When I first read the section on the raglan shapings it appeared that there would be a change in frequency of the decreases but when I came to knit it, I couldn't find where or when they changed frequency! Unfortunately I wasn't able to sit down with the book yesterday like I had planned. That will have to wait until maybe tomorrow.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  5:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a decent look at the instructions last night. It was a problem with me rather than the book! Mind you, the book could, perhaps, have been a little clearer. The instructions for the v-neck sweater were a little vague but I went back to the basic raglan sweater pattern. There, buried in the rest of the instructions (surprise, surprise) was something I had missed earlier - the raglan is decreased every four rows for three or four decreases THEN it is decreased every two rows. Obviously it pays to read ALL the instructions carefully when there is nothing else going on to be distracting!

Thank you for all your help and patience with me through this. I will now frog what I have done on the yoke and redo it, hoping all the while that I will save enough yarn to finish the sweater without having to unpick it at the bottom and steal yarn from there! I will let you all know how I get on - sometime from now. I am not a fast knitter!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  8:37:25 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck, KathyR. Do let us know how it ends up.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe