Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 too many sweaters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Stennas
New Pal

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  05:24:15 AM  Show Profile Send Stennas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What to do? I love buying wool... noone loves wearing my sweaters except for me. I have knitted for most of my friends and sisters in law at least one sweater and also all the new babies in the family. My children won't wear them. I'm left with the problem of having to knit for myself. This means, if I knit up my stash, about 20 new sweaters. I don't think I can wear them in one lifetime particularly when the winter in Sydney is very mild and only lasts a few months. I don't want to do scarves, socks or homeware...what do I do with all the sweaters? I could give them away to the needy, but I love the yarns and want them for myself. (sounds a bit selfish, I know)

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  06:01:02 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel! I've never seen anyone wear sweaters that I've knit for them (maybe once -- my sweet old Dad), so I feel like I should just knit for myself.

I think you should feel happy to knit for yourself. Use all your yarn, knit sweaters for you, enjoy the process, and don't feel bad about it for one little second!

One of the reasons why people don't wear the sweaters that I knit for them is that here in the U.S., sweaters just aren't that fashionable right now. If it were the eighties, then our kids would probably have wanted sweaters. The only things that are in the fashion world currently are crocheted-type accessories. I rarely see anything that is knit in the fashion world. So until that changes, rarely will anyone want to wear what we knit.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  06:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you love knitting sweaters, then knit them for yourself and enjoy them! My closet is overflowing with lovely sweaters, some my mother knit for me, some I made for myself. Some of them are over 40 years old. Does that keep me from making new ones? Not in the slightest.

As time passes, you may find yourself getting interested in other items like shawls and socks, but if you don't, it doesn't matter. You're enjoying the yarns you've bought, you're getting sweaters to wear, and (IMHO most important) you're not hurting anyone by it.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  06:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would knit the kinds of things that are enjoyable to knit. The process is important too. We wouldn't do this if we didn't love the process, right?

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  07:01:50 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you can knit for charity, or you can knit something other than sweaters. Have you considered those alternatives?

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  07:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Shrugs? Have they hit the scene in Australia? Or are we behind you in fashions? Anyway it's still a sweater just less of it!

But don't feel bad, if you love to knit wool sweaters than do it. Don't deny yourself something that brings you pleasure just because it only brings you pleasure.

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
Go to Top of Page

Helga
New Pal

Switzerland
25 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Helga's Homepage Send Helga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All these comments are very encouraging because I live with the same problem as Stennas. Only my DH wishes sometimes (once in 10 years) a sweater knitted by me...
Helga

www.helgaswebstube.ch
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  07:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My suggestion is that you can knit some sweaters for me. hehehe. I love sweaters. On a more serious note, go and knit them for yourself. You already have the yarn, enjoy.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  08:23:18 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think a person can have too many sweaters. You need all diff kinds. Reminds me of a movie with Shirley McClane. She was a receptionist in a sweater factory and every day would wear a diff sweater. Anyway you need spring,summer,fall and winter sweaters. Diff colors,weight yarn, and styles, again I want to repeat a person can't have too many sweaters.
Of course let me hedge this by saying this is only my opinion.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Stennas
New Pal

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  3:45:14 PM  Show Profile Send Stennas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your encouragement. It's great to know that there are others like me out there. I'll just keep happily knitting and try not to start the new one before the old one is finished. I've got 3 on the go at the moment and want to start the 4th but maybe some restraint is called for. I just need a bigger wardrobe to put them all in.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  6:14:06 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra,

I agree with pretty much everybody, you can never have too many sweaters. My kids too won't touch anything I make them. Except for my daughter, but then it has to be knitted in either Angora or Cashmere.

I knitted her a floor length hooded coat, with pockets, it took me forever to knit and she swapped it with a girlfriend for a pair of boots from the op shop.

Luckily her mother stepped in and returned it, as she could see what it was made out of. Although I've said I don't mind if she has a long term borrow of it. So they are both happy now.

My daughter wants to be the original 50's sweater girl, but she's got no boobs yet, but I still tell her she looks beautiful, she does to me anyway.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  7:20:49 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Debra

I also only knit for myself these days,as my husband says he has enough sweaters(ever since we came to NZ,he wears fleece tops in winter,anyway),and my sons are not really into handknits anymore.

I recently unpacked and washed all my winter woolies,in preparation for the coming cold weather,and even though I have several sweaters,that doesn't stop me wanting to knit some more!

I think that if it makes you happy to knit sweaters for yourself,you should enjoy doing it,without feeling guilty.Maybe you could knit yourself a couple of lightweight cotton sweaters,given that the winter is so mild in Sydney - just a thought!

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  7:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schleppenheimer
One of the reasons why people don't wear the sweaters that I knit for them is that here in the U.S., sweaters just aren't that fashionable right now. If it were the eighties, then our kids would probably have wanted sweaters. The only things that are in the fashion world currently are crocheted-type accessories. I rarely see anything that is knit in the fashion world. So until that changes, rarely will anyone want to wear what we knit.

If that's true, well, I'm glad I don't follow fashion...

Amanda,
who
Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

Stennas
New Pal

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  02:03:45 AM  Show Profile Send Stennas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks Leslie. NZ should be plenty cold enough to wear your nice jumpers. I have decided to knit finer wool and have ordered some 3ply from Bendigo knitting mills in Victoria. They have a great range of their own wools at very reasonable prices.
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  02:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra

I've just got back to the UK from a month on Australia and am missing it very much! Mind you, it's spring here in the UK so things aren't too bad. On Sunday I finished the last sleeve of a little cardigan I made from a wool/silk blend. It's got 3/4 sleeves and a tie front so it's absolutely perfect for warmer weather. All I can think of is wanting one in every colour! My advice to you is to to keep knitting for yourself and enjoy it with a few little flirty cardis in lighweight yarns and you'll be wearing them all year round. Air conditioning can sometimes be a bit chilly....

Best wishes

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

purlnorway
Warming Up

86 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  04:45:53 AM  Show Profile Send purlnorway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting for charity is wonderful thing...You can knit something wonderful, enjoy the knitting, and help someone.

If you can't bear to part with all those sweaters, keep some to wear, maybe some make up into pillow covers, bags, etc. Be creative in your "recycling."

But continue to knit for yourself, and wear those sweaters with pride!
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  06:17:55 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Afghan for Afghans (they have a good website). A really great organization. And because it is so cold in Afghanistan most of the year, they only take woolen items.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem, but with afgans. I LOVE making them! Keep knitting your sweaters, and I'll keeping making my blankets.
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have the very same problem, none of my family wants any hand knitted sweaters. I now knit for myself, there I said it! Even friends whom I have given sweaters to found something to criticize about, and how ever minor the criticism, I am just crushed! I'd rather not hear any of it, I don't know why but after putting so much effort into a sweater and to have someone say oh I think I'd rather have snaps not buttons or something like I would have like blue better.....

Problem solved, I get all the sweaters and if I have too many I give them to charity. They love to sell my sweaters at my local yarn store and they are a charity. Stitches From the Heart. My other solution has been to knit complex sweaters with small needles and thin wool, like Hanne Falkenberg designs and that slows my production output right down. I love my sweaters and I wear then every chance I have.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

terivan
Chatty Knitter

Australia
240 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  8:24:15 PM  Show Profile Send terivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a similar problem. My mother now has the sweaters I have knitted for her, plus those I knitted for Dad, who died a couple of years ago. She enjoys wearing his, but doesn't want any more. One brother doesn't feel the cold, though would like a cricket sweater - must get around to that. (That is a predominately white, cabled sweater to wear while he plays cricket - in case you thought it was some strange design !) The other brother has a wife who knits, and I don't want to step on her toes. So I have a cupboard full of sweaters, and at least 6 more in my stash. Fortunately I work from home, and it is cooler than an air-conditioned office would be, so get to wear them for a couple of months, at least.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  9:03:45 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I usually use DK (8ply)yarn,but I think ana's idea is very good - not only would knitting with finer yarn and smaller needles slow the actual knitting process down,but it would be lovely to have a couple of lightweight sweaters to wear on those in-between days.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page