Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 comfort knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  10:26:27 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now we're going thru an intense family situation. Prior to this big mess, I had several challenging and fun projects going- kerry blue shawl, ene scarf, pi knitalong.
I've had to put all of those aside for right now. The only thing I am able to really get into right now is the Peaches N Creme washcloth (from the Mason-Dixon knitting book). I ordered some big cones of cotton yarn in my kitchen's colors, and I just keep working row by row on them.
Maybe, in some way, I think my family will be protected by these sturdy towels? Whatever the reason, I feel very comforted by knitting up a bunch of them.

"Man is more nearly like the pig than the pig would like to admit." - Anonymous

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  05:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the family situation. I hope it gets better soon. Keep working on the washcloth.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  07:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry as well. Yes, I agree that you should definitely work on whatever it is that brings you comfort.

Come see me at my blog:cozy's place

Knitting addict since November '03

Go to Top of Page

Boston Terrier Knitter
Chatty Knitter

315 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  09:27:15 AM  Show Profile Send Boston Terrier Knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear things are icky right now, but I am glad you've found comfort in doing your washcloths. I have been sick for the last month (morning sickness, then a cold, etc) and I had to stop a challenging sweater I was working on. The good thing is the projects will be waiting when we are ready to go back to them.

"Nothing in America is more American or more expressive of the American spirit than that of the little American dog, the Boston terrier."
http://bostonterrierknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  12:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear things aren't going well- it's good to know you can find solice someplace- washcloths are a good place for this. My mom is sick right now and I have made 2 so far as well... From Debbie Bliss Home. Hope things get better for you soon.

*updated blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin again more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  12:37:57 PM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear 2trees,
I am so sorry for your loss. I've been through it twice in the last 3 years and lost my dad on top of that. Sometimes you just have to wait for the healing. We now are the proud servants of a huger golden retriever named Howie whom we adopted from Gulf South Golden Retriever rescue.
Time will help and you'll be back knitting again but you'll never forget her.
Robin
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  7:17:52 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep knitting darlin. Do what ever is a comfort to you during this time. May the sweet memories comfort you in the time to come.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gallant_duck
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  03:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit gallant_duck's Homepage Send gallant_duck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting as a coping mechanism is definitely normal behaviour! When I can't think of any more to say, or just want to escape into something that doesn't require a huge amount of mental activity, or even just want to sort out how to respond in kind, knitting is it.

Whatever it is you're going through, I hope it's sorting itself out.

Much love,

emmms

http://erqsome.typepad.com
http://meepful.diaryland.com
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  06:21:00 AM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often find myself knitting really simple projects in times of high stress. Its there that knitting earns is name as the new "yoga". Its calming and allows you to focus easier then running around trying to do multiple things at once. I'm positive that rough times will pass, they all do at some point. Think of each stitch you make as a stab at the thing that's trying to frog you apart.

If I am me,
and you are you,
then who is he?
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  2:00:51 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like that. Yes, something is trying to frog my family apart.
No one passed away, but thank you for your kind words. :)

"Man is more nearly like the pig than the pig would like to admit." - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

meknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  6:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit meknits's Homepage Send meknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garter stitch works wonders in stressful situations. Felting the piece seems to purge a few bad thoughts as well. You may find that you have untapped inner reserves. I hope this time passes quickly for all involved.

http://marymqc.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  7:19:10 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 2trees,

I hope your family situation improves soon.

If that is what you are comfortable doing, you go for it, anything that helps is good and it sure beats comfort eating.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.