Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 Any other knitters who are runners?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  06:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
While running is not my 'career',this topic seemed the closest fit for the question-since it is something I do besides knitting!
I ran across someone's blog who is a runner and a knitter like myself, and I was wondering if there are many more of us in KR.
While I don't knit when I run, I often work out knitting problems,or thing of what Iw ill knit next,etc while I am out on the roads.
What have you knitted for yourself that you like to use when running? Besides wool caps,I use a Cascade Fixation headband when it is cloudy and I don't need a hat but want my hair out of my face,and some thick cotton socks I sometimes wear on cold,long runs.
Lisa in Oklahoma

http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com
Knitting photos-http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to. Sigh. I even ran a half marathon. Then I started having knee problems, and my ortho doctor said, "I am amazed you ran a half marathon on those feet."

I miss it, but $400 custom orthodics made no difference, so now I do Tae Kwon Do instead. Ki-yap, baby!

Amanda,
who
Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa,
Don't the cotton socks get all icky when running? I've always learned NOT to wear cotton for such things.

Anyway, I'm trying to be a runner:) I havne't been able to do much in the way of training all winter due to a program at the local university I've been since last October, but it's over soon and I'll be picking up my fitness scehdule again. In fact, DH got me a package of personal training sessions for Mother's Day (the kitties sure are thoughtful to have asked him to get that for me:) I agree - things like running/walking/biking offer a great opportuntity to work things out in your head. It can be great creative or problem solving time.

My blog at KristiKnits.com
[img]http://www.kristiknits.com/images/KristiKnits_Logo_Green.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  07:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me me
Although lately I've been off the road and more on the treadmill. Yuck.
I'm still trying to get back up to speed after having a baby. Finding time to run seems to be my problem lately which is why it's on the treadmill instead of on the road. I have a running stroller but I find I have shoulder aches for days after using it running.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  08:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do tri's ....swim bike run! Just did a 4 mile trail race yesterday morning, planning on doing the Palos Verdes half next weekend, Escape from Alcatraz triathlon June 4th (or whatever that Sunday is). Just did the Wildflower Tri Oly course -- 1.5 km swim, 40k bike, 10k run (HARDEST course I've ever done!). I'm slow but persistent and getting better and losing weight.

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://tricat.blogspot.com/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  10:35:47 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran for 10 years, then got into spinning about 3 years ago (and love it). I'm starting a new job tomorrow, so it will be harder to get to the spinning classes. So I starting running again. Unfortunately, I'm having knee problems as well, but I can supplement with power walking. Just walked the Indy 500 Mini Marathon, and I'm ready to sign up for next year. I have a few new friends who are my walking/running buddies, and we're looking at a possible half marathon in another city.

I haven't knitted anything running related so far. I just started a pair of ankle sports socks (my second attempt at socks -- the first was a disaster). I also saw a knitted armband MP3 holder that I might make. Unless they come up with CoolMax yarn, I doubt if much of my knitting and running with collide!

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am! :P

I love running! I ran in high school for 4 years during all three seasons and even did a marathon in november. Now, the college I'm going to only has a track team. I'm more of a distance girl, but I really don't want to go on extended runs in downtown philly, so I'm going to join the crew team. ^_^ Either way I'm going to fit running into my schedule, can't function without it.

If I am me,
and you are you,
then who is he?
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  5:44:54 PM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started running a few years ago when I joined a gym looking to get in better shape again after kids. I had run on and off in high school (for sports) and in college. I realized when I started working out at the gym that I could burn twice as many calories twice as fast on a treadmill if I ran instead of walked :-)

I am married to a serious marathon runner.....so he inspired me, too. I am way slower than him. I have run a few races, small 5K things. I don't think I could ever do a marathon, tho. But I think it is great exercise and I feel so much better on running days! I find if I pick a race I get more serious amount it, so I am looking at a July 4th 5K.
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  03:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew with this many KR members,there had to be some runners!
To answer Kristi's cotton sock question- I think of the socks as cotton,but they actually are a blend-with 30% wool and some lycra.So they hold up fairly well.I do prefer "real" running socks for most days, but like to wear these on occasion.
Yesterday I used a Koigu iPod case I just finished with i-cord strap.I made it for use when doing domestic chores (think 5 loads of laundry).To run with it,I had to tuck it in my shirt so I wouldn't get beat in the chest with each step, but hey- I had something hand knit with me on my run.I guess I may use it for days when I have no good pockets to hold the i-Pod.
As far as racing goes,I haven't been in one in years.May think about a 10k for the fall.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2006 :  04:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lisa for starting this thread.
My blog is tri knitting running stitching (originally biking) but after breaking too many bones w/the bike, i sorta retired my beautiful black/pink canondale.
I always loved to run, I was diabetic since I was 7.Then 8 yrs ago I needed a transplant. Wasn't able to do much running prior to that, and since the day I came home, I started. I don't race, I'm not fast. I just love doing it. Have don'e my share of 5k, 10k's but 3 marathons, and that is what I love doing. Yes I bring up the back of the pack, but something about that distance. Pretty good w/endurance. I don't wear my handknit socks out there.
sherry

www.xanga.com/bears2share
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  10:52:02 AM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sherry -- the marathon thing is very impressive.....I can't imagine tackling that!

Have any of you tried yoga or do it regularly? I won 10 classes at a yoga studio at an event at my kids' school. I am excited, have always wanted to try it. Has it helped/affected your running?
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  11:52:31 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to be again. I used to be a pretty good cross country runner, but that was many, many years ago. Now my goal is to run enough that my thighs stop rubbing together when I run, thus preventing me from wearing shorts without looking ridiculous!

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry discussion, and other assorted cultural ramblings:
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  1:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been walking to get back into shape. Eventually I plan to run/walk during my workouts.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  3:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to run but I moved to Costa Rica the land where people run in the street along with cars and buses. As you can imagine, I am not too comfy with that. There aren't really any tracks or other areas so I am trying my hand at spinning. But it doesn't satisfy me as much.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  6:07:13 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a runner, but I have been training to WALK a marathon with Team in Training (a fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society). I did two cycle centuries with TNT, but I am not a very good cyclist, and I was afraid of getting into a deadly crash, so I traded in my yellow cannondale for a pair of sneakers.

I really love walking. I'm not talking about a casual stroll through the neighborhood -- I can go as fast as a 12 minute mile. But, I think walking is better for my joints, and less impact overall, than running.

As my walking coach says, "These Boobs Were Made for Walkin'"
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  4:09:39 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trailrunning for about 5 years and love it, but don't do races. I'm a solitary person and having so many people run all around me would freak me out!
I sometimes wear handknit socks when running and have been thinking of making a belt with an attached case for my cellphone. Haven't gotten around to it, though. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  7:20:22 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just started running a bit in the last year or so, done the Sun Run (10K twice), aiming for sub 60-minutes next year (yes, I'm a slow runner). I work near False Creek in Vancouver, so I love to go for runs on the seawall. Takes away from my knitting time though! LOL

Maria

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  04:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
laparente,
keep us updated on your training. do you have a web page?? gosh, I get beat at a 5k every thanksgiving by a racewalker. this guy is impressive!!!BTw i run as slow as I walk, which is ok.just being out there is the important thing for me. I am having some issues (due to transplant meds,and other things) so haven't been able to train for my end of summer marathon as I want to.Right now for me to get out there and do 4-5miles 4days/week is what I can do.I miss my saturday long runs. (10-15miles)
sherry

www.xanga.com/bears2share
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  07:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Escape from Alcatraz (triathlon - 1.5 mile swim in the bay (jump off the boat near Alcatraz and swim!), 18 mile HILLY, hard bike course, and 8 mile HILLY run) this past Sunday. Slow -- LAST in my age group (I've never been last in my age group before, close to last, yes, but never last), but I finished!

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://tricat.blogspot.com/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gdelrosa
Seriously Hooked

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  07:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit gdelrosa's Homepage  Send gdelrosa a Yahoo! Message Send gdelrosa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting up running. I have this nasty reaction to mosquito bites though so I have to keep it on the treadmill. I'm so sad I can't get outside:(

I changed my blog name: www.gailknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  08:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished a marathon. It was a blast! I'm with Sherry, the distance is what hooks me. I feel so much more alive after a 10 mile run than a 4 mile one. Mostly i love trail running, though(there is an all-trail marathon i have my eye on next spring for that reason). I also bike and am doing the MS150 in 2 and a half weeks. Our team started raising money during the winter and it is so cool to have all this effort and money going to such a great cause, as I am sure the Team in Training people can attest to as well. That should be a good time too. I'm not a big crowd person in general, but every once in a while those events are really energizing.

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
little miss messy hair's blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.