Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 machine washable yarn for a dorm blanket
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mo
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  1:32:59 PM  Show Profile Send mo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a blanket with Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chumky and it is pilling already after only 4 months use as a lap blanket. Want to make one for a college student but need a durable, machine washable yarn that comes in solids. Hope to use the college colors for ALL of my 15 nieces and nephews. Any ideas??
thanks from this novice fourum user.

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  2:05:20 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can't beat Plymouth Encore for durability and easy care. It comes in a wide range of colours and weights (from DK to chunky). Great yarn...

2006 shawls/throws completed: 11
2006 socks completed: 4
WIP: Baltic Sea shawl (Fiber Trends) in Rowanspun 4 ply

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mtnknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  2:23:28 PM  Show Profile Send mtnknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used Encore several times too - GREAT! I prefer it to WoolEase -holds up better.
Go to Top of Page

mo
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  3:00:58 PM  Show Profile Send mo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice--this forum thing could become as addictive as knitting
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  3:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to make a dorm blanket for a going-to-college gift so I have the same question about yarn that mo asked. I was at a huge GOB sale the other day and there was a lot of Encore. I went over to it with this project in mind but it just didn't appeal to me because I didn't like the hand. Is there another yarn that all of you like for this purpose but has more wool and less acrylic or is superwash wool? What about Cascade 220 in the superwash version?

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  4:12:31 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GFTC, what is a GOB sale? I'm sure it's something obvious, but I can't guess what.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  4:24:38 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just surfing yarns and found Encore on sale at Yarnware.com:

http://65.86.213.195/Web/Yarnware/Yarnware.nsf/ysalebyManufacturer/C6C9D8835B65A0CE852568B4008010D0!OpenDocument

good deal, never ordered from them but I've only heard positive comments.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  4:27:25 PM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For dorm blankets I figured that they would get no end of abuse, and so I went with the easy care, light on the wallet yarn: Red Heart :P

This way if it gets ruined it wouldn't sting that badly

If I am me,
and you are you,
then who is he?
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  5:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't use Cascade for a dorm blanket because it couldn't be thrown in the dryer, and I can't imagine a college student finding the space to let a woolen item dry flat in a tiny dorm room. You could try something like Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece (80% cotton, 20% wool). It can tolerate the dryer but a large blanket would be pretty heavy, compared to wool or acrylic.

Some shades of Woolease pill more than others: the heathered shades. I now prefer Encore. It feels more wooly to me and pills less than Woolease.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  6:13:23 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had better luck with superwash wool yarns holding up in the washer/dryer than acrylic/wool blends like Encore. I have made a few things with Encore, mainly scarves and hats because I am sensitive to wool in the area of the neck and face. After the first washing, the wool content gets fuzzy or felted and the acrylic content pills. I don't care for the feel of it either although certainly it feels better than a 100% acrylic yarn.

The first time I machine washed/dried something I made from superwash wool I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked--no fading, no fuzzing and no pilling. The problem is finding superwash yarns. In the past I have ordered them from Elann but they don't have much right now. Both Cascade and Brown Sheep make a superwash but it can be hard to find them, online at least.
Go to Top of Page

mtnknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  9:25:31 PM  Show Profile Send mtnknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! I washed and dried an afghan from Encore three times, no pilling or fading. The colors stayed bright. (it was a bright pink/purple/blue)
Actually, I have noticed substantially more pilling from Lorna's Laces Superwash wools, though the "hand" is better.
It could be a larger afghan is tumbled less than a hat, and worn less.
Mainly, though, I'd think of the cost as a factor for me. College dorm rooms are warm, and 100% wool is likely too hot, plus an expensive investment. Red heart is an option, bit I do prefer a bit of warmth in the Encore. I'd recommend swatching both and see what you prefer!!
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  11:16:29 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was happy with the Canadiana that I used for an afghan.

Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  11:33:55 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Patons Canadiana and Patons Decor are great. Decor is 25% wool/75% acrylic and Canadiana is 100% acrylic.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  01:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made my son an afghan with Encore, but the next one (for me!) I'm going to use Kraemer's Summit Hill. Its machine washable, but so soft. I like Encore, but Summit Hill is just really so much softer.

Jeanne

http://jeanneknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  06:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pieheart, GOB means going out of business. Also, if you want to shorten your wide link try this: [url="paste your link here"]name your link[/url] If you do that your link could appear as: Yarnware Naturally you would not put the brackets in red. I just did that to call attention to them. Make sure to include the quotation marks around the link.

Laura, the superwash Cascade should be able to go in the dryer unless I'm mistaken. Your idea of Cotton Fleece is a good one. I made a blanket for a toddler out of it and it goes through the washer and dryer beautifully. I used the tilting blocks lace pattern so there was some openwork and it wasn't too heavy at all. Thanks for the reminder of that yarn.

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
Go to Top of Page

lsm
Chatty Knitter

245 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  12:19:44 PM  Show Profile Send lsm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bendigo Woollen Mills in Australia has a full line of superwash wool in two dozen colors, similar to Cleckheaton colors, and several weights. I bought several balls for baby items and have been pleased with the results. It's not merino soft but it's not scratchy either.

The prices are very reasonable ($9.50USD for 400 yds which is about half the price of Cascade 220 superwash). They also offer quantity discounts. Shipping is $4.00USD for orders under $40 and free for orders over $40. Shipping time is very good considering that it's international. My order arrived in a week.

They don't have a website, but they'll send you a color card and price list if you write to them: order@bendigowoollenmills.com.au

Go to Top of Page

mo
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  9:24:41 PM  Show Profile Send mo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my--this forum is awesome. Thank you all for your ideas!! i can't wait to go to the yarn store--like I need an excuse.
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  02:30:46 AM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to get thrown out of the forum, but have you tried Bernat Berella 4 ? I worked at the only LYS in my area about 8 years ago (she carried the better yarns), and the afghan yarn she recommended and carried was the Bernat Berella 4.

I just finished 2 afghans for my MIL, one fancy for her guest room, and one plain for everyday, and I really liked working with it.

www.bernat.com Yarn info and pattern info. Fun to browse.

Go to Top of Page

virtualpurl
Gabber Extraordinaire

409 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile Send virtualpurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GFTC, I am making an afghan now with Cascade 220 Superwash, and I love the way it feels and the clarity of the colors. Haven't washed it yet. I needed 11 colors, and Matt at Threadbear Fiber Arts was extremely helpful in helping me choose. He emailed me photos and even a photoshop partial schematic of how my choice would look.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  4:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
virtualpurl, what is the pattern? 11 colors sounds intriguing.

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  4:17:10 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cascade also has SUPERWASH. a great fiber with goo yardage and current desirable colors. KL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?