Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 FO letdown
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Erinplus3
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  07:57:18 AM  Show Profile Send Erinplus3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As soon as I finish something, most times I'm a little disappointed with it. I'm usually happy with how it turned out, but I just don't want to look at it anymore.

I'm seaming a sweater for my mom right now and I can't wait to get it out of the house. I'm sick of looking at it. I'm so conflicted, I want to be happy about it because it's really beautiful and I know she'll love it, but I don't want to see it again for a really long time.

Anyone else ever feel this way too?

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  09:30:25 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy do I know how you feel. There was a time that I made all my clothes and I can quite honestly tell you I never felt like I had anything new. When someone would say is that a new suit, coat, whatever I would hesitate and then say yes. I didn't feel like it was new and was sick of looking at it but one does need clothes if for no other reason than to keep warm. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  12:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be that you are a "process" knitter rather than a "product" knitter. Very often (ok, I'll be honest: more often than not), when I've finished a project, I don't care about it much and may not use or wear it at all. This used to bother me until I realized that I'm a process knitter: I'm more interested in handling the yarn and making the item than actually wearing or using it. What I need to do is make small(er) projects.

http://www.kidknits.biz
http://www.kidknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  1:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get this a little. Weird, isn't it, especially after putting all that work into it. I guess that's why I give away a lot of what I knit.

Come see me at my blog:cozy's place

Knitting addict since November '03

Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  1:55:09 PM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bingo! This is what I do, and I didn't fully realize it until I read this topic! I would much rather make things and give them away, but it's not so much that I never want to see it again, just that I can start something new immediately. Wow, thanks for the revelation!
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  2:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This explains all of my crafts. I have very very few things that I have actually kept. I will admit I have more things that I have knit and kept than in cross stitch.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  3:27:01 PM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, hullo! I blocked a sweater I've been working on for my husband this morning. I've been working on the thing for months, and I have to admit that when he tried on the finished product his response was a little less enthusiastic than I expected.

As I was sticking in the pins, I was just so relieved to be done with the thing, I thought that I honestly don't care if he never wears the thing. The sweater actually turned out well, I got another sweater under my belt, and more experience with some new skills... really, if it never sees the light of day, I don't think it would bother me.

Now socks are a different story! Socks make me positively giddy with joy when I pop that second one off the needles. They go straight on my feet and I dance around in them. Love those socks!

Yvonne
"Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been."-Mark Twain
http://ybrach.photosite.com/
Go to Top of Page

oxfordpeg
Warming Up

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  3:34:52 PM  Show Profile Send oxfordpeg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes! Socks are a joyous, fast fix of knitterly pleasure. I too dance around in new socks... :)
Go to Top of Page

morandia
Chatty Knitter

250 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  3:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit morandia's Homepage Send morandia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so a process knitter!!! I have more things on needles than I'd care to admit to. I have to force myself to finish things because I come across a new technique or stitch pattern and have to try it, but once I've mastered it, why bother to continue.... I know it's a bad attitude, or maybe it's my ADD slipping out but that's how I am. And when I do finish an object, I usually give it away because I have no attachment to it. it's sad really..... Oh well.. life goes *wait.. was that a bird?*
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  5:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading comments from other process knitters makes me think that, rather than tackling large projects like sweaters, etc., I should accept my process-knitter-ness and buy small quantities of yarn, make swatches to try out the yarn and stitches.....but then I get seduced by a sweater pattern that looks so great and drapes so nicely and has such great detailing...or a yarn whispers to me to buy in large quantity....and then I'm a goner (again!)

http://www.kidknits.biz
http://www.kidknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  11:35:43 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote] I'm usually happy with how it turned out, but I just don't want to look at it anymore.

Nope, I don't feel that way at all. If it was a big project which took a comparatively long time to finish I'm usually glad it's done - not least because I LOATHE sewing up - but I'm usually also proud of it and can't wait to wear/use it. Or to see the recipent's reaction, hoping they'll love it too, needless to say.
Go to Top of Page

J in Woking
New Pal

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  12:45:56 AM  Show Profile Send J in Woking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always feel flat when I finish a project. I've just finished a tank top for my daughter and she is thrilled with the look and sizing of it. I used some wool that we bought in Austria when we went at Easter so it's just a little different to what we might buy here. It's rainbow wool, with all my daughter's colours in it: jade, amethyst, gold, blue ... it was fun to knit with and handled well on the needles. Once finished, I was self-critical as always. Am going to knit a textured scarf now with some yarn that's been sitting in the stash for a while. My daughter's knitting a tea cosy.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  01:20:42 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the reason I get disappointed with some things I've knitted is that when I put it on I realise I don't look much like the model in the pattern after all.....

Liz
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  05:53:27 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Liz,
most of us can relate to THAT, I'm sure!
Go to Top of Page

PuppyMomma
Chatty Knitter

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  07:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit PuppyMomma's Homepage Send PuppyMomma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't hate it once its done, though if its meant for someone else I want them to have it, like, yesterday. But when I'm done with something for myself, I'm usually just kind of bummed for a day or so and can't figure out what to knit next. It's almost like I'm lost.

www.funkyjewtopia.com

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the reason I end up giving away most of the things that I have made. I give them as gifts or else I put them up for a long time so that when I find them they are a surprise and I am not quite so blah feeling about the item.
Go to Top of Page

knitwhich
New Pal

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile Send knitwhich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While at least most of you get the item finished. When it come to blocking, stitching and finishing I am finished. I have so many projects that get to that stage and that's it end of story. My husband keeps looking at the and asking when they will be done and why I keep buying yarn and starting new projects. I just tell him how lucky he is to live in a house with so much colour and texture.
Go to Top of Page

ninja_girl_01@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  09:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit ninja_girl_01@yahoo.com's Homepage Send ninja_girl_01@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Egads!!!!! I make stuff because I have an outfit already in mind. I am definitely a product knitter, which is hard because the product takes time to create. I think more about what I need and what will look good on me instead of what I would like to make. Right now I am making Clapotis and I can't wait for it to be done so I can start modeling it with the outfit I have in mind, but to my surprise I am enjoying the process of making it.

Now I am teaching myself more about knitting so that I can start designing my own garments and so I can not only enjoy the product but the process as well.

http://pitsandknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

barbaydos@aol.com
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  09:11:08 AM  Show Profile Send barbaydos@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm a little bit of both. A process and product knitter. I do give away most of the things I knit. I have a few projects going. I do miss a project once it's finished. Lately I've been making scarves and hats. I just finished a fun fur scarf that I'm going to hide when my sister visits. I'll make her one too, but this one is mine.
Go to Top of Page

crankyisgood
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  12:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit crankyisgood's Homepage Send crankyisgood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, when I read the poll I thought "yes, often," but now that I actually read the thread... Not really! I have knitted a few things I didn't care for and there are definitely times I've tried something on and didn't love it instantly because I could see this or that imperfection, but almost always grow to love the item.

Usually if I feel a bit of a let-down after finishing a knit, it's like finishing a really good book: I was so excited to read the whole thing and finish it, and now it's over too soon!
Go to Top of Page

momtat@comcast.net
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  4:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Send momtat@comcast.net a Yahoo! Message Send momtat@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah!! I'm always happy when I finish a project, esp. when it's for someone else and I finally get to give it to them. I usually always have several going at one time, and with kids to raise and house to keep, don't have time or energy to always complete projects as quickly as I would like. So, when they are finally completed, it's like Christmas!! Exp. to see everyone's reactions!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?