Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  06:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started some socks on the size 1. So far so good.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  3:14:38 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my size 1,2 and 4 KP circulars today. And it only took a week (starting from the day I ordered) and I live in Canada. It took them only two days to send them out and I was expecting a 2 week delay.
I like the needles very much, but having read many of your opinions on these, I guess I was expecting sharper needles(the sharper, the nicer for me). To be fair, my size 3 Boye needles are just as sharp, although they don't feel nearly as good as KPs. I was especially impressed with the cable: so soft and pliable and thin. My Denise cords are seriously thick and Boye (there's a reason I only have one) is so stiff that no amount of softening and heat works.

I had no problem with the joint parts or anything else. I like it that the cables come in sets of 2 (just in case the cat decides to practice chewing on one) If I didn't have a Denise set already, I would definitely consider buying a set of KP Options needles.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  05:05:52 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decisions, decisions. Should I buy a whole set? Or just buy the sizes I know I use a lot? Unlike many of you, I totally hate my Addi's but can never seem to find Inox. It is almost impossible for me to "make 1" with the lifted thread method using an Addi. I actually have to use my fingernail to pick up the loop to knit it through the back.

I only read the first few and last few pages of this thread, but would like to suggest a quilter's thimble for pushing. Takes a little getting used to but worth it. Also, if you really need the 16" length and don't want to wait, just use 2 24" lengths in the "2 Circs" fashion.

I've never liked the ML method because my Addi cords always seem to twist on me. Maybe I'll try again with these new needles if they do come out in a 40" size.

Melanie in Indiana

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2 FOs; I'm on the 3rd, just ordered yarn for another one; only 6-I mean 7-to go!
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  07:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a crochet hook to lift and twist the hole close. I find it hard to M1 with the larger size (less pointy) Addis. I do have any easier time with the Inox but then again it depends on the size.

Elsie[meow]
Go to Top of Page

bradamant
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile Send bradamant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips here. My needles arrived in only four days (!) and I took the advice of trying to put all the pieces together to check the fit right away. Sure enough, I had one cable that had one end that didn't really fit. KP is kindly replacing, had no problems there.

So far, I've only used them a little, but I like the pointiness a lot!

~~~Emily~~~
Knitting pix.
Journal.
Go to Top of Page

wizzer11
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  7:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Send wizzer11 a Yahoo! Message Send wizzer11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered a couple of circulars today. I can't wait for them to arrive. I want to learn how to knit socks and I can't wait to get them to start learning how. I am hoping that they won't take very long to get here, I'm so excited!
~Ana
Go to Top of Page

CJknits2much
Chatty Knitter

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  07:33:37 AM  Show Profile Send CJknits2much a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought these because they have a 60 inch cord, and I need to edge a rug. They've been wonderful: The tips stay on with no issue, the join is smooth and they've made my finishing much, much easier. I still prefer my Addis for smaller projects, but the Options needles are so reasonably priced, I'll probably buy more of them in the future.

Definitely recommend them!

CJ
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  11:22:25 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! TWELVE (12) pages of KP Option Needles. (I want to be a part of this historic event )

I waited until this topic was a mere six pages long before I placed my first order. Just wanted to see what all you experienced people had to say. That order arrived in 9-10 days, and included 5 & 7 size tips and two different sizes of cable. Nice needles.

I have since ordered two size one (16") for sockknitting. (That order took a week.) I like them much, much better than the size ones that I was using (Susan Bates, I think) as these do not get caught in the angora yarn. Finely spun angora yarn for socks... am I crazy or what?

I gave my KP catalog to a friend who said she was going to try them as well.

What pointy tip? No different than Addi.

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a chance to try these last weekend! I really really liked them! Extremely light,felt warm to the touch, fine cord didn't get all twisted up. My best friend was visiting and had just gotten a complete set. Now I want a set too!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered my set, telling myself that it was OK if it took 2 weeks to get here. Now I'm chomping at the bit, wanting them NOW!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  5:13:47 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lacylaine

Decisions, decisions. Should I buy a whole set? Or just buy the sizes I know I use a lot? Unlike many of you, I totally hate my Addi's but can never seem to find Inox. It is almost impossible for me to "make 1" with the lifted thread method using an Addi. I actually have to use my fingernail to pick up the loop to knit it through the back.

Melanie in Indiana

I have a tip for Make 1. I learned this from Meg Swansen on the Knitting Glossary DVD. It was a real head slap moment. I used to pick up the thread with the left needle, from front to back, then struggle to get the right needle inot the back loop. I would end up inserting it purlwise into the front lop, then lifting it up and over the left tip inot the ktbl position. Then I saw Meg do it. She picks the thread up with the right needl tip from back to front, then inserts the left needle into the front of the loop on the right needle. It's a zillion times easier and the same result. Try it!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Flossie
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  5:24:43 PM  Show Profile Send Flossie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been using the KP 3.00 circs for my mystery stole 2 and love them. No problems at all. A word about pointy points. Suzann from this forum helped me out last May by recommending Thimble-It from Colonial. Works like a dream. I don't have a problem with light wt yarns, but when I want to knit a tight fabric I push my stitches off with my right finger. Before long my tension is getting loose because my finger starts to hurt. These little plastic disks stick to your finger pad and stay on all day - even through potty breaks which of course include hand washing. These things are awsome!

Many thanks Suzann these things should be in everyones knitting tool kit!

Flossie in SD
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  8:36:20 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the options set and have made a sweater and several hats using various sized needles. I love them. I will buy more.

There was one problem, however. One of the cable joins had an edge that was just a little rough (where the purple cable enters the metal end) and after knitting with it for a while it was rubbing my hand raw. I was able to fix it by smoothing with a fine metal file and some 220-grit sandpaper.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  10:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered a set of the KP DPNs (Size 3) and started some Jaywalkers a couple of days ago.. Now my needles look all splotchy and definitely un-shiney. I have sweaty hands so I guess that's what's doing it..

If they end up becoming rough because of it I won't be ordering any more of these needles.. So unfortunate too because I LOVE the pointyness and they're the best DPNs I've tried yet.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Travelling Cables Cardigan KAL
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  05:28:57 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you put the two kinds of needles side by side? I was knitting with an Addi last night and the point is most definitely blunter on the Addi than it is on the KP needle. I was using size 8.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  06:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I sat down and started knitting some swatches for a finishing class this Saturday. I was using size 6 Options needles. Use the little wire thing to screw the needle to the cable. One needle is great, the other needle keeps coming undone a little after a few rows. Any suggestions.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  09:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try scratching the threaded end on alittle bar of soap. The soap will hold the screw in. I tried that on my neighbor's KPO's when she asked me the same question; hers didn't come undone after.

Elsie[meow]
Go to Top of Page

princess76
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  12:23:20 PM  Show Profile Send princess76 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered the set & paid for UPS shipping because I wanted them so badly. I really like them. The tip is so sharp that it's not a hassle to knit my cast-on row, and I don't need to push the yarn down, because it doesn't stick to the needles. I tested all the needles & cables out last night- one of my purple cables had come unglued from the join. I called KP this morning- they are shipping me a free replacement cable. I am very impressed. Now I want their KIP bag set!
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I ordered two size 0's, and all four points were different. One needle had blunt tips like the Addis and the other had two sharp tips, but one was sharper than the other. If your tips are blunt, return them and see if the next needle is sharper.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  1:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elsie, Thanks for the tip, I will try it out tonight.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by