Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Color coded the ends of the cable is a great idea.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

harrypotterybarn
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  11:46:22 PM  Show Profile Send harrypotterybarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else had an issue with the KP options tips become marred quickly? I'm not a tight knitter by any means and after only a few rows with a cotton/linen blend my tips are almost snaggingly rough.

Just curious if it was something I was doing wrong or if others had experienced this. I love everything else about the needles, but this may be the deal-breaker for me.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  08:01:34 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy I wonder if Knit Pick is giving Clara something for free. There are 22,000 people that have read this and look at the amount of people that came on and said they bought. This has been a great source of advertising for Knit Picks and I hope they show Clara their appreciation.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  5:00:55 PM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harrypotterybarn

Has anyone else had an issue with the KP options tips become marred quickly? I'm not a tight knitter by any means and after only a few rows with a cotton/linen blend my tips are almost snaggingly rough.

Just curious if it was something I was doing wrong or if others had experienced this. I love everything else about the needles, but this may be the deal-breaker for me.

No, I haven't noticed that with my needles. I did have that happen with an Addi Turbo one time, though. They didn't become rough, but the tip of one was very worn looking.
Go to Top of Page

norameg
Warming Up

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  04:16:08 AM  Show Profile Send norameg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a set of the needles and with my first project, just a prayer shawl, the cable is coming out of the silver join. And with the same cable the opposite side keeps unscrewing. I just emailed knit pick about the problem and when they open I will call them. How do you go about getting a new cable? Do you mail back the broken cable and wait for a new one? My shawl keeps catching on the join and the other end on the unscrewed needle.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  04:32:29 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the 'idea' of these needles, but then I read about the problems...I want to hear what people still think of them after long use. I want to hear if the joins wear out, or if they're still holding strong. I love my Addis, but wish soooo much that the tips were more pointy. I am seriously thinking of a set of these, but am waiting to see how they hold up, and if they ever come out with a 16" cable.
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  06:46:22 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who said they have come unscrewed, I'm wondering if you are using the metal wire that is intended to help tighten the joins? I worked an entire shawl on my needles the other day (worsted weight yarn) and the joins did not even loosen.

Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  07:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had my needles for a little over a month now. I've used two different sizes/cables and so far so good. I LOVE these needles. In fact, I hate knitting the first row after casting on, not with these needles. The sharper points make it a breeze. I've also been a needle pusher (with my finger tips) and I don't notice myself doing that with these needles.

Kay

www.knittinggalnokc.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

norameg
Warming Up

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  09:40:43 AM  Show Profile Send norameg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did use the metal wire to work the needles ends in. One end is not coming upscrewed but is separating from the silver portion the other end keeps unscrewing. So on both ends of my shawl my yarn is catching.

I just spoke with Knit picks and they are sending me another cable out. I do not have to return the broken one. They were very nice to deal with.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  11:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Norameg, glad to hear they are taking care of the problem.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  2:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered one pair and I'm really enjoying mine. Having never worked with interchangeables before, I just screwed my tips in and, of course, they kept coming unscrewed. That's when I figured out what the key is for!

I only wish they had 16" length cables. If they did, I wouldn't need to buy anything else.
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  2:59:29 PM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Norameg, they have excellent customer service. I hope your next cable will be just fine.
Go to Top of Page

infinity
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  4:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit infinity's Homepage Send infinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to jump on the Options Wagon, I ordered the full set with all sizes as well as all sizeds in the dpns. I have been using them non stop for all my projects from blankets to socks and different types trendy yarns. No problems yet.

I am a point pusher and these needles have helped me break the habit. But the first week was a bit painful but worth it for the speed that I picked up because the point helped me pick up the yarn easier.

I read all 14 pages of posts and one thing that I saw a couple of posts on but not many was the case that comes with the set. I have a complaint about it. I ordered a few extra insert sleeves for the additions needles etc that I ordered. After filling them all up I noticed that I would probably need two of the cases to actually hold the filled inserts. The problem for me was that the case should have been about 1/2 inch wider. When all the inserts are filled and in the case the sleeves get pushed to the back of the rings when the case is zipped which causes the sleeves to be bent and the items inside that happen to be next to the ring get crimped or smashed as well. Which will eventually add to the wear and tear of the cables and needles. It would be great if KP offered the set without the case as well.

ARTLADY: thank you for the tip on trying all the cable joins etc. I found one of mine did not function properly and KP replaced it with no problem.

I sent an email to KP about the case to make them aware of the issue. They sent me an email to thank me for the observation. I also, made a request for different sizes of cables, they said that they have had so many requests that it is highly likely that they will be adding them in the future. So keep an eye out.

I ordered the Stick Sacks at Ashland Sky. They are a bit expensive but I love them I can put everything in them and I can be kept in one location and then pull out what I need and transfer to any bag that I tend to carry. Usually a messenger as I live in NYC.

InfinityExplorer
~~
~ every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...
Go to Top of Page

harrypotterybarn
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  8:10:46 PM  Show Profile Send harrypotterybarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* I guess I'm just not having any luck with my Options. Not only are my needles all marred up but I've had two bad cables. One the cable pulled out of the metal collet and the other one the screw size was wrong (evidently a known issue). Guess I'll be calling KP this week for some replacements.

Stack this on top of the fact that I just had to rip back about 11" of knitting because I screwed up my decreases and I'm having a bad night.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:36:46 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang! I have NO self-control. I just placed an order - I'm getting some of the little circs to try sock knitting, and just ordered two other sizes and 24" cables. They really are much cheaper than my Addi's, so we'll see.....
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  06:40:15 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Infinity on the needle case size. Mine is already pretty much filled up! I will probably eventually order another set of the Options needles, perhaps before the end of the year. My 13 year old is really taking a shine to knitting these days. She's known how to knit for years, but she is so into it now. I'll probably buy her a set of needles for Christmas or her birthday which is in February.

harrypotterybarn, I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your needles. If it is any consolation, KP has wonderful customer service. I received a needle tip this past week that would not screw onto the cable (just one of the pair) and all I had to do was call. A replacement is on the way, and they do not want the defective needle tips back.
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  3:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read through all 14 pages of posts so maybe this was addressed - how do you know when the little tool has tightened the ends enough? I inserted it and feel like I was just turning and turning it. Is there a point when you stop being able to turn it, and it's "done"?

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
www.theloopyewe.com/sheri/ (blog)
Go to Top of Page

diane leirer
Chatty Knitter

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  7:43:29 PM  Show Profile Send diane leirer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that 24,122 people have read this post as of 9/12/06 at 10:45 pm EST! Wow, I wonder if this is a KR record for the number of people reading one post--maybe Clara can verify it. Amazing.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gives one pause for thought with all those people reading this one post. Wonder what else we have to do. Tee hee. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  09:26:49 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheri,
The end shoul tighten like a screw and reach a point where it will not turn any more. I did have one needle that would not tighten to the cable. It ws as if te screw hole was too big. I contacted Knit Picks and they replaced it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?