Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  12:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize these were similar to the Needlemaster which I hate. I wasn't about to order any until all the problems were corrected but now I doubt that I will anyway <sigh>.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  2:21:52 PM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheri, turning the tool doesn't tighten the needle. The tool is to give you a way to hang onto the cable while you screw the tip on tightly. It is nearly impossible to screw the tip onto the cable tightly without the tool.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  5:19:01 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooooh! Mine came in the mail today. I played with them a little and think I'm really gonna like the pointy tip. The cable is a little thinner than I'd like, but the small ones that I bought for socks seem great! The price was nice, too. I got a total of 8 needles, plus two skeins of yarn for $51.
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  06:07:01 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AZBlue
While the Options have the same basic design as the Needlemaster they are very different. 1. The cables are like butter. I found the Needlemaste (Boye) cables to be stiff and very unyielding. I felt like I was fighting them all the time.
2. The Option needles are straight while the Needlemasters have an angle built in to them. I found this angle to be un-natural.
3. The Option needles are much thinner than the Needlemaster.
4. The Option needles are more pointy.

I have the Denise and the Boye (Needlemaster) set. After I used the Options I gave my Boye set away and retired my Denise set. I will keep the Denise set in case I find a yarn better suited for them.
Go to Top of Page

Jerri
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  12:51:39 PM  Show Profile Send Jerri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had my needles for 2 months and love them! I also have the Denise set. What I have found is that when I am using two circulars it is great to have two differenct types of needles, thereby not having to unravel a mess from grabing the wrong needle.

Jerri
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  1:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, maybe I'll just wait until the problems are worked out and then try one. When someone mentioned using a "key" to tighten them, I thought uh-oh, those suckers will come loose just like the Needlemaster. Maybe it's the angle on the Needlemaster that tends to loosen the cable and needle when knitting...

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  04:14:05 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to have one of my cables replaced. The ends are fine but as I was looking at them last night and ran my fingers the length of the cable, they 'caught' on something. There is an extra little 'zit' of plastic sticking out the side of one, so I cannot use it. How did other people contact the company? I searched for an email address (I'm on the computer early in the morning) but didn't find one. I had already deleted them from my email after receiving my order and not finding any problems. Should I just call the 800 number? Can they deal with replacements? How did others do it??
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  05:18:20 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama

I need to have one of my cables replaced. The ends are fine but as I was looking at them last night and ran my fingers the length of the cable, they 'caught' on something. There is an extra little 'zit' of plastic sticking out the side of one, so I cannot use it. How did other people contact the company? I searched for an email address (I'm on the computer early in the morning) but didn't find one. I had already deleted them from my email after receiving my order and not finding any problems. Should I just call the 800 number? Can they deal with replacements? How did others do it??

Can it be sanded off? I had this problem on a few of my Denise needles and some very fine sandpaper took care of it.
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  07:11:57 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AZBlue,
The join on the Options needles is much longer than the join on the Needlemaster needles.
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  07:13:59 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hillstreetmama,
I had the same problem on one of the cables and I just used a fine nail file on it. WOrked fine and the cable is smooth as silk.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice - I decided to call the 800 number and see what they said. They are sending me two new cables! They were very nice about it. I will now try your ideas and see if I can make this one usable, too, then I'll have FOUR cables the same size!
Go to Top of Page

musicalcobwebs
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile Send musicalcobwebs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the knitpicks needles and I absolutely love them. I had never thought that anything would compare to my Addi turbos but these really and truly do. They are fast, have terrific cable with no problems at the join (something I've encountered many times before). I highly recommend these to everyone!!!
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  6:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got one set in size 10.5, since I am doing a lot of felting for Christmas. I LOVE them. I would say they are comparable to the addis I have. I now need to order more tips in sizes I use a lot (6 & 8) and probably more cables. I don't seem to have any problems in the cable I've been using. The other is still in the package. Nothing has come loose or anything. I am very happy with them.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

jen75
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:24:46 AM  Show Profile Send jen75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Help...I don't get the keys. Do you insert them in the hole and then just tighten the needle?
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  12:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is all you do. The keys go into the hole to help you hold the cable in place while you tighten it. Easier than trying to keep it from sliding in your hands.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

dena@childsfamily.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  10:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit dena@childsfamily.com's Homepage Send dena@childsfamily.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the options set in August and have been loving them. So I ordered more tips and more cables. But my new set of cables and keys are larger than my old set. So the big keys don't fit in the old cables. Has anyone had this problem?
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  3:33:15 PM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dena, no....I did not have that problem. I ordered my original set when they came out and just got some additional tips and cables a couple weeks ago. They were all the same size.
Go to Top of Page

linann
Warming Up

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  10:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Send linann a Yahoo! Message Send linann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had the options set for about 3 months and they are fast becoming my favorites. (Except for the bamboo dps I use for socks)

I hardly ever use the key that comes with the set. I always have a tapestry needle on the table beside my work chair and use it for tightening. A paper clip works also.

All you need is anything firm that will fit through the hole to give you leverage to tighten the cable while you hold the needle in place with your hand.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

sandlover
Warming Up

96 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile Send sandlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had my set of Options for about a month.So far I love them.I've read that some of you don't care for the flexibility of the cable, but for me that is a plus. I also ordered 2pairs of the #2's to use for a pair of socks.I have found they work as well or better than the Addi turbos. I plan on ordering another set and another couple of sets of #2's.
Go to Top of Page

GardenChicken
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  8:14:46 PM  Show Profile Send GardenChicken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a chance discovery, the KnitPicks binder inserts fit nicely in a standard 3-ring binder - the holes line up just dandy. Now I keep my extra inserts containing the less used needle sizes in a 3-ring, and the ones I use frequently in the KnitPicks binder along with my calculator, knitting gauge, scissors, etc. Works for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?