Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  09:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was disappointed by the 32" cord, too, but if they're as flexible as they say, it could work for my needs.

I ordered piecemeal - three cords (24", 40", and 60"), a small set of tips (4-8), and two 32" smaller ones, 0 (my most-used) and 3 (for lace - a hat and a cardigan I'm planning call for a 3, and my current 3 is a Blunty Stumpo ;).

Looking forward to getting them, not least because I just started a shawl on my Lantern Moon circ and want to switch to something with a good join, sharper tips, and a bendier cord ASAP. Hate, hate, hate the thing.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  09:53:09 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a little disappointed by the 32" cord, too. All of my Addis are 40" for ml. I know many knitters that won't use anything longer than 32" because the cord gets in the way. At this price, I think that I'll give it a try. I'm also going to try the 2 circ method. I've never tried two circs for socks because the price really adds up when buying multiple pair and multiple lengths of Addis. This makes it so much more economical!

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  3:20:48 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anxiously awaiting the comments from those of you who ordered them. The price is definitely not bad for the set. I'm thinking about it. . .
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  08:27:01 AM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered the size 0, 1, and 2 in circulars, 2 of each for making socks with the 2-circulars methond. I mean, 4.99 each, how wrong can I go? It sounds like they might be a little pointier than I like, but I slap a bandaid on for padding and my finger is just fine. I like the small size Addi's, but their sizing is a little off, so it'll be nice to have the standard size needles. I've tried bamboo size 1 circulars, and I think the metal is better when you get that tiny.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  09:38:34 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orangina,
I believe the sizing on the 1's and 2's is the same as the Addis, which may not be what you wanted.

Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  10:29:04 AM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oof! really? I thought it said US sizes. I'll have to get out my little sizer when they arrive.... thanks for the heads-up.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  10:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does - but it also lists the mm, and they're like Addis (2.5mm for a 1, etc), slightly oversized.

I like that the 0 (Addi's or KPs') isn't, though. 2.0mm is standard, right?

Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But, but, but.... well, a girl can't have too many circulars, right?
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  3:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK here's a super-duper close-up of the KnitPicks needle tip compared to the Addi tip. (The KP needle is the top one, Addi is the bottom.) The needles photographed are just one size apart from each other, but it should give you some perspective.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  3:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeeow
The KP needle looks like it could hurt.
I like that in a needle.

**still anxiously awaiting my needles**

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntieK
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  4:37:06 PM  Show Profile Send AuntieK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely like the "pointier" needle. I'm seriously considering them even before I hear from you all. I have a B'day coming up soon (and I've dropped the hint about these new needles) but I may not be able to wait!

K
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  5:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW. Man, I'm looking forward to doing lace with these babies! And short-rowing .... Ooh, I'm excited. Now I wish I'd paid for quick shipping instead of going with the free. Sigh, at least I have some just-arrived sock yarn to keep me company.

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  6:42:11 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, I like that sharp tip. Can't wait to get my DP's. Thanks for the pic Clara!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  6:57:02 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These looks so great! I know that I am going to lose my battle to be fiscally responsible one of these days.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

dsrtwillow@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  10:54:25 PM  Show Profile Send dsrtwillow@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myshelle (did I get that right?) Look for quilters' supplies. They have a bazillion and seven kinds of thimbles, and one of them is a kind of leather finger-tip. Very comfortable. Not stiff enough for quilting needles, IMHO, but should be terrific for knitting needles. Sorry I don't have an address for you, but if you have trouble, let me know. I'll see what I can dredge up from my memory.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  05:12:31 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, after seeing Clara's picture of the points, whether lace knitting would be tricky, given the slickness and seemingly short taper... (I know, I'm such a wet blanket but really, I'm just looking out for all your hard earned dollars)
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  06:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think so, but I like slick needles. And the short taper is a plus, for me - it means not worrying that I'm knitting on the tips, ie tighter. Might be a problem for others, though.

Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  06:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... I got my needles last night and did some knitting with them. I'm knitting a lace shawl using fingering weight yarn on size 7's. I was previously using my Denise Interchangeables (which I do love). Here are my thoughts comparing the KnitPicks to Boye and Denise.

Whew - they are slippery. I've never used Addi turbo's so I can't compare, but they're slicker than anything else I've ever used (Denise, Clover bamboo or Boye metal needles). I find that I like the slipperiness (is that a word?), but I can see how some people wouldn't. So, if you don't like slippery needles - stay away.

Pointy - yep they're pointy. Clara's photo was a great example of just how pointy they are. There was a question about whether or not it would be good for lace - yes, the pointy is very good for lace or anything where you're doing a lot of decreases. Think about doing a knit two together - normally I have to sort of stretch my stitches down a little to get the tip of my right needle in (I'm a bit of a tight knitter) but not with these - they just go right in because of the pointiness. Now, I do have to emphasize what Clara wrote in her pre-review - if you use your finger to push the end of the needle (I used to do this too btw) then you will probably get sore fingers or develop a callus.

The cable - thinner than Denise and Boye and much softer than both as well. I got the 60" cable and started using it right away (no need to dip in boiling water like I do with my Denise and Boye). I really like that!

The join- much smoother than Boye or Denise. Because I'm a tight knitter I usually have to scrunch my stitches over the join, but not with these needles - they just glide right over it.

The needles themselves are bigger than Boye needles and about the same as Denise. They have a shorter taper than both Denise and Boye (but not much more than Boye). One of the things I really dislike about Boye needles is how the join is at an angle so they don't fit in my hand very well. These needles do fit in my hand nicely.

So in my opinion - they're awesome. I love them and I will definitely buy the set. That being said - I'm not like everyone else. If you donít' like pointy or slippery needles - you won't like these - they're not for everyone.

Enjoy!!!
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww crap...I think this means I'll *have* to buy me some...

Thank you for the review!!!! I'm not fond of Denise as I'm a metal lover and find that hte stitches don't glide over the cable like I'm used to...it sound like these will work better...

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

Dejhia
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dejhia's Homepage  Send Dejhia a Yahoo! Message Send Dejhia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review on these needles. I am a tight knitter who loves metal needles. I love my addies, but I just started doing lace work, and I found out how bad the points on addies are for doing lace.

I've been looking into the Boyde and the Denise sets, but I hadn't gotten any yet. I was leaning toward the Boyde even though I didn't like the bend at the join simply becuse I hate plastic needles. Now, I think I will have to get the knit Picks set. Maybe for my Bday in September or for Xmass... Hopefully, if I wait long enough, they will come out with a cable to make a 16in needle.....

~ heather
www.dejhia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by