Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  08:30:11 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long are the needle tips? Depending on how long they are, it may not be possible for them to become in 16" needles. That's why there's no way to produce a 16" in the Boye set -- the needle tips are too long. The Denises are apparently shorter and therefore can go down to 16".

Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  08:45:13 AM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the review! They sound nice. I can't imagine using the dpn's if they are that slippery, though. Wouldn't they slip right out of your stitches? My dpn skills are not that great, I'll stick with wooden dpn's for a while!
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  09:19:31 AM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heather - looking upwards in this thread - unless they shorten the actual needles connecting to the cables, they can't offer longer cables. Awkward at best, and maybe impossible, to maneuver the circs if the cable isn't a certain length beyond the combined length of both points. Plus, you would stretch out your knitting, same as what can be an issue with those little 10-12" addis made for cuffs and such. (Shorter points could be do-able, but would not really be comfortable for most knitters to hold.)

Reading the posts and reviews (thanks, babyduck!), this addi lover thinks her main concern will be those points. I didn't really even notice how I use both forefingers to push the needles with each stitch, until this thread gave me a reason to observe my knitting technique!

Change habits (but how easily?), get those rubber thimbles (yuck), or leave "Options" alone? Any other "pushers" out there who can speak from experience?

LisaB
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  09:26:46 AM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, didn't notice Bethany's remark. I didn't know the Denise set went down to 16". Disregard that part!
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  10:52:36 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an occasional pusher and my first options needles are on the way. I'll make a report next week.

Jeri

-- Jeri
http://soapquiltknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  2:17:33 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question for those who have used the interchangeable versions: Do the joins come apart as easily as the Boye needlemaster? I have a Needlemaster set that I've thrown under the couch in disgust because no matter HOW tight I screwed the needles on, they ALWAYS came loose. used the little metal rod thingy, used the rubber grip thingy, and STILL, a few minutes later, I'd have yarn catching on the ever widening gap. Maybe it's because I knit Continental and exert more torque on the needles than English knitters, but still. My Boyes are unusable to me.

So ya, do the joins on these needles STAY FIRMLY SHUT?

Maria

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  4:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my interchangeable set from KnitPicks and I'm very impressed. I have a few pictures and my first impressions on my blog if you want to check it out. It appears that the joins will take a lot to unscrew if you use the tightening key - the joins have a very long threading so I think it would be very hard to get them unscrewed without noticing it was happening. I'll be able to comment more on that after I get started on my first project with them this weekend.

www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  4:55:51 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my set today, too. I was impressed, as well. I was in the middle snapping photos & the battery died, so photos will have to wait. The needles tips are 4.5" long and very pointy. Even the size 11 is sharp. The tapered point is a little over 1/2" long. The cords remind me of licorice. The zippered case has a jacquard cover with a pleather spine. It has a 6-ring binder inside. On the right side are two sets of open pockets (probably to hold a pad of paper) & a pen holder. On the left is a zippered pocket and larger opened pouch that run the length of the cover. It can easily be confused with a daytimer. I'm curious as to how the metal will hold up in the long run. I'm looking forward to trying out these needles.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  6:21:32 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those of you that push on the needle points from time to time, I'm guilty of that too when I can't get a dull needle into a few tight stitches. Is that when you are pushing stitches through, too? I'm hoping that the sharper tips will make getting into those decreases less of a fight and I won't have to push the tips.

I've requested some of the options for my birthday, keeping my fingers crossed.

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

bfaye
Seriously Hooked

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  6:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaye's Homepage Send bfaye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You all talked me into these needles. Way to enable. Now I wish I'd gone for the faster shipping instead of free shipping. I knit a lot of lace and use the Inox greys now but the join drives me nuts sometimes. I can hardly wait for mine to get here!
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  05:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree - I think it would take a lot to get these to come undone, however I've only used them for about two hours so I can't say for sure.

I'm concerned about flying with these needles because they're so pointy and metal. I don't want to change the subject here because there is a different thread for this topic, so I've started a new thread in the "Can I take my needles on a plane". If anyone has any thoughts on the knitpicks options, please let me know here... http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59718
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  07:13:53 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem, Maria. Will be interested to find out if these are any better. I guess they're on backorder right now anyway, so that'll make me wait a little longer until those who bought them have a chance to use them and post their opinions.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  10:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My needles finally arrived.
The only thing I can add to what everyone else has said is about the sizes.
I have to say that I'm disappointed that there is no size markings on the needles.

Overall they seem good (I'll be casting on as soon as I log off here) but the size thing irks me.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  12:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westcoastchica

So ya, do the joins on these needles STAY FIRMLY SHUT?

If you use the torque key that comes with the cords, yes. If you just screw 'em on and think you've screwed it nice and tight, it's possible you did. And it's possible you may encounter a surprise at about row 40.

What did people think about the packaging?

And I'd have to agree with boogie about the needles not having sizes marked on them. I know this was a production issue, and I did find it bothersome at first. Especially when I imagined a Ziplock bag filled with unidentified needle tips (after the original packaging falls apart and I have to resort to Ziplock, that is). But then I reached a state of size zen and decided it was ok. I could live with un-marked needles. VERY annoying, yes. But that's why they make NeedleSizers and Ziplock bags.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to keep mine the way I keep my circs now, in a "Turbo pack" or whatever it's called - like a floppy CD case, basically. It'll be easy to stick the points in the right pockets and the cords in an unlabeled one.

After all, most of my circs aren't IDed either, or if they are, it's rubbed off by now. What's the difference, really?

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  2:33:19 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered a few needle sizes for socks and lace today but I didn't get the interchangeables, just sizes 0-3 in 32". I hope that I'm happy with the cord length for magic loop, I usually use 40". A quick note to everyone waiting for orders,it looks like they've extended the shipping time due to high volume.

Molly, your storage idea is a good one. I use inexpensive clear zipped pencil pouches. The pouches are marked on the outside with a perm. marker. I keep the pack bound together with a large ring binder. I still might need my needle sizer, I just keep it with the pack.

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

Lobolita
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  2:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lobolita's Homepage Send Lobolita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I ordered the three smallest sizes of DPNs. I'm really excited, because I like 'em fast and sharp. Unfortunately, it's going to be weeks until I get them. KP is putting a notice in the order e-mail that they're 7-14 days behind. Sigh.

http://twowaters.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JalynR
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit JalynR's Homepage Send JalynR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just got my interchangeable set and I LOVE them! I usually use Addis for my socks and Denises for anything else and these are wonderful. They are as fast as Addis (for me anyway) and those tips are SHARP. I am a pusher and I have a callus on my right index finger, but I need to break that habit. These tips remind you in a hurry! The joins are just as good as the Addis and the cable doesn't get all curly. I do believe I will order some of these in the smaller sizes because those tips do make it easier for a tight knitter. Just my 2 cents.

Jalyn R.
http://www.stuckontheprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm ok with their packaging. I agree that it's a lot like a day planner but it is a better case than the Denise needles. I think it is all very paintable too. I'm going to keep it all in the little day planner case and just paint it up to make it mine.

I got the whole set so I also got the little plastic thingies that go inside and I wrote the US size on all of them. This is assuming I ever put the needles back where they belong instead of just tossing them in that handy little pocket in the case.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  4:06:21 PM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got the latest catalog from KP and I think it's funny that it says "10 millimeters of nickel plating". I think it's supposed to be "microns", since millimeters of thickness would make huge needles!

It is impressive to see this kind of thought go into the design though, and a refreshing change from all those needles that people get by with.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?