Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  7:19:13 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several of you have mentioned these for lace knitting so I thought I would pass on something I read. I have not tired this myself. I read that if you have an interchangeable that has a hole near the join as these sound like they do, that you can insert a lifeline automatically. You just pass your thread through the hole and knit the row normally. When you are done you will have carried the thread along with you and the lifeline will be in place. It sounds pretty cool and I will have to try it when I get a chance.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  8:52:30 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done this with my Boyes. (Not on lace knitting, on Picovoli. Hey, it was my first top and I was nervous.)

It works marvelously. The only downside is that if you have any stitch markers, they stay on the lifeline. If there's a way to avoid that I'd love to hear it, but I can't see one myself.

So, you either use stich markers that come apart (like you'd use for crochet) or use scraps of yarn and leave little bits dangling from your lifelines. :-)
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  01:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

I read that if you have an interchangeable that has a hole near the join as these sound like they do, that you can insert a lifeline automatically. You just pass your thread through the hole and knit the row normally. When you are done you will have carried the thread along with you and the lifeline will be in place.

Ok, that's just brilliant. I have never heard that one, but will definitely be using it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  07:44:28 AM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used the lifeline method with my Denises and it works great. I use the stitch markers that are like little coils-one brand is the Coats and Clark split lock stitch counters. I remove the stitch marker, knit my stitch, then slip it back on the needle being careful not to put it around the lifeline. Works like a charm.

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my knitpicks catalog yesterday and was so excited to see these. I already have a Boye set, but I think I will buy these for my sis for her birthday and see how she likes them.

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

douknit2
Chatty Knitter

148 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  10:22:54 AM  Show Profile Send douknit2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great sister you are! Makes me wish I wasn't an only child.
Go to Top of Page

WhiteStar
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  06:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteStar's Homepage Send WhiteStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to know more about the cables before I order.

I am a confirmed lover of Addis. I have a set of Denise interchangeables that are only used as big stitch holders becuase the cables are (my opinion) so horrible. Any yarn I've used, from laceweight to bulky sticks and grabs as if the cable is coated with glue. Unlike the Addis where all yarns just glide right along.

So... how do the KnitPicks cables compare? Smooth like Addi or stitcky like Denise???

Anne in Colorado
http://whitestarsams.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteStar

So... how do the KnitPicks cables compare? Smooth like Addi or stitcky like Denise???
I think the cables are comparable to Addis. They definitely are not "sticky" and about the same thickness as the Addi cable.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

mris
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  08:59:11 AM  Show Profile Send mris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few people have metioned that the case looks like a day planner and from looking at the pictures it seems like it follows the same six ring binder and size I see in many day planners. Could someone who already has the case post the specs on the binder and pages. We might be able to use another day planner more to our liking instead. I personally would love to use something in a sanrio motif. :)
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cables are pretty smooth. I'm not getting any grabbing so far.
As for the needle case, it is a 6 ring binder very much like a day planner. I think you could easily swap out to a different one. The pockets are well made plastic pockets. You get two each of the 3 pocket, 2 pocket, and single pocket. They all have the slide closer and are made of a good thickness of plastic. Aside from a small KnitPicks tag on the front of the case, there is no real difference that I can see between this case and any other day planner case.

I've just started my second project with these needles and I am really impressed.

Pictures and more review on my blog...

www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  09:49:08 AM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mris - also see my post further up this thread mentioning the tackle binder bag "system" reviewed by Clara here: http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/060119_a.asp
The dayplanner is a great idea and probably more stylish, although I'm perversely fond of the big bass fish logo on my own needle case. I will mention that with the tackle bags - sold at sportsmans' shops like Bass Pro - you can purchase 3 hold ziplock refills that are sized to fit. It's all priced well and *extremely* durable (heavy canvas & thick bags).
Go to Top of Page

JalynR
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  12:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit JalynR's Homepage Send JalynR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The binder pages are 6" W x 6 3/4" L. The binder itself is 7 1/4" W x 9" L. I do have a FranklinCovey planner (classic size) and the pages are not interchangeable. I hope this helps!

Jalyn R.
http://www.stuckontheprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitdamsel
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile Send knitdamsel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone who knits has absolutely got to have a set of interchangeable needles, whether it's Boye, Denise, KP, etc. I've been using Denise needles for about two years. I haven't experienced the problems other knitters have mentioned here about Denise, like sticky cables. I don't even drop the cables into hot water to unkink them, because the bends work their way out as I'm knitting. The cables are easy to attach, and they don't come apart while I'm knitting.

When I saw the new KP needles on their website, I thought, hmm, how are they going to top Denise? From reading the other reviews here, it looks to me like the main advantage is speed, because of the extra pointy tips. Pointy is good...

The Denise needles are quiet and lightweight. They don't make that annoying clicking noise that aluminum needles make. I think those are the two things I look for in needles.

I have a question for anyone who has already bought and tried out the new KP needles: how quiet and lightweight are they?

http://www.knitdamsel.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  3:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Knit Damsel,
To answer your question...The new needles are not as quiet as Denise needles. They make a quiet click like Addis do, but not as loud as Boyes. As to weight, the KnitPicks needles definitely have more heft to the them than Denise needles. I actually find that to be a positive, but if you are looking for lightweight, you may not like these.

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  4:47:58 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zissa, are these needles more lightweight than Addis? I am an Addi nut so it would take something lighter and smoother for me to switch, but I am willing to try.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  5:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mokey-
It's really hard to say exactly, but I would say the KnitPicks needles are a little heavier than Addis...I don't have a scale so this is just my feel of them. They have the same finish as Addis - which I love. I think if you already have a pretty complete set of Addis it's not really necessary to get the KnitPicks set. You might want to just order a couple pieces and take them for a test knit:)

Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  03:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Particularly given the prices. I love my Addis, but I can afford to have some tips and cords from this set as back ups and as lace needles.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

jillie
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:20:04 AM  Show Profile Send jillie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and give these a try, too.

I love my Boye interchangeable needles but would really like longer cords.. without having to join the shorter ones.

Is there any chance (I hope, I hope) that the Knitpicks cables will fit on the Boyes?

Thanks to anyone that gives this a test and reports back.

jillie [img]http://www.home.surewest.net/jilld/img3.gif[/img]
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:24:19 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere else that the Knitpicks and the Boye are not compatible with each other, so no, jillie.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In answer to the question about the cables, they definitely are a hair thinner than the Addi Turbos. And as far as I could tell, there is no stickiness whatsoever. If anything, you have to adjust to the strange feeling of having a truly relaxed, fine, fluid cord. (As in, "If I pull this thing really hard, will it break?" - and I've tried all sorts of tugs to no avail.) Here's a pic of the Addi and KP cables up close (KP cable is the purple one).

The earlier prototype needles had a different cord I didn't like nearly as much, so I was happy to see what they'd done with the final one.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by