Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Rozaroni
New Pal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:25:55 PM  Show Profile Send Rozaroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My interchangeable set arrived on Friday, and I love them already! The cable is really flexible, the needles are really smooth (as smooth as Addi's, imo), and the tips are really pointy. So pointy that I've had to start wearing a band-aid on my index finger to keep from bleeding all over the Lacy Prairie Shawl that I'm working on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I stay cool, and dig all jive,
That's the way I stay alive.
My motto, as I live and learn, is:
Dig and be dug, in return.
~Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  1:28:00 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my small-sized circulars. I just played with them, knitting a round or so on a sock. I think I am really going to like these for sock-knitting. The one thing that bothered me about circular Addi's was the stiffness of the cables. They really tug on that spot where you shift from one circular to another and you get quite a ladder (at least I did). These knitpicks circulars have the great metal needles, super smooth join, but the cable is so much softer. It won't create so much tension, I can tell already.

Wow, maybe the interchangeable set is in my future? I am REALLY impressed. Especially for the price! 4.99 per circular, that's nuts for needles this nice.
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  1:32:37 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been resisting but it almost sounds too good to be true. Count me among those who aren't impressed with Denise needles. I use them, in fact am using them now, but only as stitch holders or when I need that particular size because my other needles are in use for other projects.

Unfortunately, they aren't in the budget right now. Hoping by the fall I can spend money on knitting, but I honestly have so much to knit right now that I could probably knit happily without buying anything for many months!

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  5:31:49 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone is selling there Denise's please email me. I love my set and would like to have another set.

karknit@yahoo.com

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  6:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
emailed you

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  6:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was briefly checking out the Knitty site that has several topics about the knitpicks needles running. I just read that someone tested their knitpick's needles with their boye needles and found they do not fit. It sounds like the the boye's have a bigger screw than the knitpicks screws. Here is the link and the post is about 1/3 of the way down page 4.
http://knittyboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=32534&start=45
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  04:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a review on my blog.
I know some people hate to be redirected....
I've said nothing there that hasn't been said here but there are a bunch of pictures.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaM
Chatty Knitter

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile Send LisaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt I'll be buying these (tried Addi and hated them--too cold and shiny and noisy), so this is a moot point for me, but: is nobody troubled by the cables' being coloured? It would drive me mental if I was knitting with a yarn that clashed with them. I would start to feel sick. E.g. look at the group photo in the catalogue: the woman on the left is knitting with a brown colour that looks just terrible against the purple.

I do love purple as a colour though. I think they should have made the boring binder purple and the cables black (or some other neutral colour).

OK... so now you all think I'm crazy...

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. The purple's a huge selling point for me. They're adorable!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  1:48:57 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The purple cable is not an issue with me at all. The cable and the join to the needles seems strong, that's all I was concerned about. (I only got a few circulars, I don't have the whole set.)

I am hoping that by the time I (inevitably) order the set, though, that the binder is offered in cooler colors!

Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  4:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't get the interchangeables yet but they're in my future, hopefully a short distance.

What I did get were two of the small circs .. sz 0 & sz 1 in 32" for ML ... and started a sock on the 0: I've loving it. The cable is soooooo flexible! and I love the purple color too. I'm almost to the point where my pattern has me "P3tog" and am hoping the pointier tips make this easier than usual.
Go to Top of Page

rfknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
282 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:02:48 AM  Show Profile Send rfknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may be an odd question, but can someone tell me where the needles are made? I checked KnitPicks site but I can't find any information on where the needles are made. Clara mentioned that they are shipped from India?

I will probably try the circular and double points but I wish they come in more sizes. Interchangeable is a big commitment for me :(

Thanks!
Steph
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:24:42 AM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed my package of circulars said "made in India"
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:35:14 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steph,
The needles are made in India. If you don't already have an interchangeable set, this will save you money and time hunting for the needles you need over the long run.

I just got sizes 4, 5 and 6 and the 40 inch cords and I realize how nice it is to be able to mix and match the needles and cord sizes I use most. The quality is very good for the price and those points are sharp! I push the needle at the shaft now instead of the point when I'm knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  4:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, the needles are made in India but the cords come from the U.S. Pony and Colonial Rosewood needles are also made in India, so there is a history of knitting needle production in this country...

And now, I give you first peek at my review of the Options set, which will go out to readers tonight. Hope it helps!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Linnet
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  4:54:23 PM  Show Profile Send Linnet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered 17s, as I have a project that has repeated P5 together I'm hoping that these will work. If not, I'm frogging it, because this will be the *fourth* set of needles I've tried on this project.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... if these don't do it, no needles will. The larger size doesn't help. Also, are you using an inelastic yarn like cotton?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  04:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caved and ordered 3 pairs of circs for socks - (0's, 1's and 2's) - the 32" should be fine for me for ML as I'm doing 2 at once on a 32" now and have plenty of room....I can't wait!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  06:04:37 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Linnet,
Have you tried popping the 5 stitches on a crochet hook and pulling the working yarn through? Be careful to work all the stitches - I had a problem once with a multiple decrease (done the regular way) where I accidentally missed one of the stitches - and did not realize it until much later because it was kid mohair.

Thanks for a very thorough review, Clara. I had fleeting pangs of guilt when I ordered from Knitpicks, wondering the same thing about the LYSs' share of the needle market once Knitpicks got into the needle business. But then I rationalized that their concept of mix-and-match, plus metal interchangeables which addressed several issues with existing sets, were not available elsewhere and filled a void in the market. Addi could have cornered the market on these if they had come up with similar products because they already have a loyal following, but they did not. Then there's the big price difference between Addis sold in the U.S and elsewhere in the world. Knitters can never have too many needles, or too many projects going at the same time, so hopefully the impact of the Knitpicks needles won't be too devastating for the stores and other manufacturers.
Go to Top of Page

IndigoMouse
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit IndigoMouse's Homepage Send IndigoMouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara
And now, I give you first peek at my review of the Options set, which will go out to readers tonight. Hope it helps!

Clara-

Great review! I just wanted to let you know that the link at the bottom of it that's supposed to link here is linking to some post from 2002 about Denise needles.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?