Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 sock's with dpn's- ladder!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_knitchick
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  11:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit the_knitchick's Homepage Send the_knitchick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey everyone,
i have been knitting a pair of socks (my first) and i can't seem to get rid of the ladder! i have searched around for tips- knit the first stitch on each needle tighter, knit the first two on each needle tighter, knit the first and last stitches tighter- i have heard them all and TRIED them all but it still is not 'perfect'. i'm guessing that it is not supposed to 'look' like it has been knit with four needles! :0) would this have anything to do with being a tight knitter???
if anyone has any ideas or tips i would be so grateful- i'm desperate!

vera x
http://theknitchick.blogspot.com

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  02:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can be the way you insert the needle into the loop when you do the first and last stitches of the needles - try different angles. What usually works for me is to get the needles in a "x" position then loop the yarn around the needle (tightly) for at least two stitches. Also, what kind of needle are you using? Maybe a different needle also, can help.
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  02:56:27 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ladders are very frustrating. I can usually get rid of the by pulling the yarn tight on the first 2 stitches. I've also read that moving your stitches, as they are knit, as they are knit to different needles helps to decrease the laddering. My biggest improvement is the suggest by "knitting away. When I knit the first stitch on the next needle, I make sure the left needle is behind the right needle. With your working needle, knit the stitch and pull tight. When purling, do the opposite, left needle over right and with working needle purl stitch and pull tight. This really helps to keep the stitches closer together. Good luck with your first socks!

Angie
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  02:56:30 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
knit the first stitch tighter but remember it will loosen up again. After you knit the second stitch, tug a little on the yarn and it will lock the first one in place. The ladder is caused not by the stitch but the segment of yarn between the stitches. Sometimes we work very hard to get the stitches tight and forget about the small segment of yarn between them.

Yes, it is more difficult if you are a tight knitter because you do not have as much leeway to tighten up your already tight stitches.

Finally, don't worry about it. Two things will happen. With experience and practice your ladders will disappear. And it will all come out in the wash. After a few washings, your ladders will disappear. Elizabeth Zimmerman once said that she had thought earlier knitters were so perfect because their stitches were so even. Then she noticed that as her own knitted garments were worn and laundered, the stitches evened out and kept looking better and better.

Ladders in socks is an issue that will take care of itself the more you knit socks and the more the socks are worn.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dejhia
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dejhia's Homepage  Send Dejhia a Yahoo! Message Send Dejhia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I use DPNs, I just do those stitches tighter, and like Fran said, to keep an eye on the tension when you go to do the second stitch. The other thing you can try is to move a stitch or two per needle. Meaning you knit to the end of the needle, and then (with the same needle as before) knit a stitch or two from teh next one.And so on.

Also, depending on the yarn you use, some of the laddering will go away aftera wash or two. I was really upset with one pair 'cuase I couldn't stop the laddering all together. But, after a washing or to, the ladders are really hard to see.

~ heather
www.dejhia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  08:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tension is important when changing needles. Don't worry, like everyone said, it should go away.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it really bugs you, just knit the first stitch on each DPN onto the last needle used, before you start in with the newly empty needle. Sort of "advancing" the stitches around the needles. To keep the "1st needle", "2nd needle", etc, designations, use stitch markers.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

JulieB
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
521 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  2:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit JulieB's Homepage Send JulieB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take finished sock (with ladders), wash and wear a couple of times. I'd challenge you to find the ladders again. It really will work itself out in the wash :)

Julie.

My blog: http://www.julie.stuffworld.info/
Go to Top of Page

KAC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile Send KAC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or try knitting with 5 needles instead of 4. More needles gives you less tension on each of the corners, because the tension is spread out.

Kim
http://sanityknit.blogspot.com/
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  5:30:36 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had ladders when I did socks on dpns also and tried all the tips. Nothing really got rid of them. Then I started using 2 circs instead of dpns. What a difference! No ladders, no holes in gusset. The socks looked so much more professional. Using 2 needles instead of 4 really simplifies the whole process too imo.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  5:55:31 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhere on my blog I have photos and directions on how to avoid ladders in circular knitting, both magic loop and 2 circulars. The principles are the same with dpn's.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

the_knitchick
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  8:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit the_knitchick's Homepage Send the_knitchick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for the tips! i will try it all out tonight when i get the chance. and it is *such a relief to know that they will disappear with washing! :0)

thanks again,

vera x
http://theknitchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  03:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found if I tighten the second stitch on each needle the ladder closes up.........

www.knittinghaven.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?