Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 Former Quilters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starbucks
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  09:59:34 AM  Show Profile Send Starbucks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Career thread was fascinating - so interesting to know what people do. Here's another question, just out of curiosity: How many of you are current/former quilters who, like me, have turned to knitting? And what differences are you noticing?

The biggest difference for me is using just one color for a project (outside of Fair Isle). As a quilter, I was so used to chosing 15-20 colors and patterns, working with the blend and contrast and value and so forth . . . it is strangely difficult to pick just one color!

Knitting has reduced my impulse shopping, though - If you buy a half yard of any good fabric, it'll always work in somewhere, but if you buy a skein of this and a skein of that, it ends up languishing in the stash. (Solution, of course, is never buy less than 1500 yards of anything you like

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a former quilter, but my knitting buddy is. We actually were talking about the differences between quilters and knitters the other day - she commented that she enjoys the company of knitters more. Her comment (and I quote), "knitters are more earthy and modern, whereas quilters like plastic flowers and jello salad". I thought that was pretty funny (and hope I didn't offend anyone!)
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  12:15:15 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to learn some quilting, but I don't like plastic flowers nor do I like jello. Am I in trouble??? [:00]

Actually the quilters I know don't either, so I'm not worried.....

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

luvstoshop
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  1:03:00 PM  Show Profile Send luvstoshop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started out quilting and then moved on to knitting. I still quilt once in a while, but I find that knitting is much more social. I can knit anywhere in the house or out of it. Quilting just isn't that mobile. I agree that choosing colors for knitting is much more difficult.
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  2:31:57 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a lot of quilting a few years back and have several UFOs waiting for me. It is difficult to find the time and space to quilt whereas knitting is so mobile. I can knit while watching my daughter in the playground. There's also faster gratification with knitting.

Check out my project pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzannehandicrafts/
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  5:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in the 80s and 90s I quilted a LOT. Even had my own shop in El Paso. But the strain and stress of hand quilting took its toll and I developed severe Carpal Tunnel. I still have several tops to quilt, which I may do as the CTS has since disappeared. I knitted occasionally, but got back to it seriously in 2003.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?
Go to Top of Page

carollovesyarn
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  08:12:51 AM  Show Profile Send carollovesyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about knitters taking up quilting? I used to walk into fabric stores and go gaa-gaa, then I started buying fat quarters for lining purses. Then it was, "oooh, this is pretty, I should get a yard to make something small." Then, "oooh, these 5 yards on eBay are a steal." I realized I was hooked and now I'm in a block-of-the-month-club and we have 5 batik blocks completed (I love batik!). Today I'm taking a 'class' to make 'Pagoda' quilt from 20 FQs I picked out. I thought picking them out would be hard, but once I picked out a starting fabric it all flowed from there.

I have to admit, I am more of a one or two color-at-a-time knitter, but Kaffe Fassett's quilts are stunning and I find myself gravitating toward them, at least for inspiration.

I also find quilting (piecing) is solitary and not portable since I do it on the machine (grandma still does all hers by hand, so she takes it everywhere). Also, I can't do it for long periods, because my neck muscles ache, so I switch back to knitting.

I can do the piecing, no problem (so far). I'm not sure what I'll do when I get to the actual quilting!

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Starbucks
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  09:43:48 AM  Show Profile Send Starbucks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of us just love anything that involves creative use of fiber, design and color, I think! I find myself walking through bead stores and wanting to start a bead stash, although I haven't any idea how to go about actually doing something with them . . .

Knitting is far more portable and social. It's also a lot less labor intensive and requires less equipment and space. It offers more design challenge, though, and more opportunity to work creatively with color, I think.

I'm sure there are plastic-flower-and-jello quilters around, just as there are Red-Heart-toilet-paper-roll knitters around, but the quilters in my area are the more contemporary design type. And while we have some granola knitters, we also have a lot of Prada-bag knitters, too . . .

My personal heaven is a little shop I know of that carries both; every batik you could ever lust after, and an new room full of luscious, knittable fiber!
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  10:15:28 PM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to do quite a bit of quilting. My favorite was doing the hand quilting once the top was finished. Unfortunately my arthritis took a turn for the worse, and I just can't do it anymore. I don't enjoy doing machine quilting at all, though done well it is lovely. I started knitting a couple of years ago, and it seems to be much much easier on my hands. I've been badly bitten by the knitting bug. :) Looking forward to learning spinning next year.

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  10:37:27 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just returned from the largest outdoor quilt show in Sisters Oregon. What a sight for the eyes. And between now and Jan. 2007 I will try to finished 3 baby quilts. So I am back quilting again. Was at the Fabric Depot just outside of Portland and got some great fabric 40% off and my friend that I taught to knit, picked up needles and yarn and some misc items 30% off. A great time was had by all. Now to start back into quilting again.
We also stopped in a local quilt store that has been in business 106 yrs and owned and run by the same family. Boy oh boy who would have thought. A wonderful shop.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  09:55:24 AM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love quilting and hope to pull out my UFO's one of these days...but in the meantime, knitting is sooo much more portable. I mostly knit at lunch...and always look forward to my weekly Weight Watcher meeting, as I think of it as my knitting time

And not to be too tacky, and make gross generalizations, but what kept me from even taking up quilting for many, many years, is that it used to seem to be a lot of rotund ladies...sorry, it's true. I just worried that I would get sucked in and become inactive:) Well, I know we knitters have to make choices, too.

Happy Creating, whatever your fiber!
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  07:02:00 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calmmom, I love your name! I have to confess that I thought the same thing about knitters....mostly rotund. Now that I qualify for that title I'm really enjoying knitting. I used to quilt a lot but haven't for almost 5 years. I started a quilt for my first grandson and it's almost done except for the border and finishing. I just can't seem to get to it!
Robin
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also did a stint of quilting, more due to allure of fabrics, but have almost used up the stash of quilt fabric...Just one last quilt for DS to go.

What I DON'T like about quilting:

Well quilting for one....machine or hand-I like the piecing better.
The insipid patterns- I made my own or did spontaneous quilting before it was called that.
The adherence to the insipid patterns by the quilting world, as if that was all there is.
The fact that all quilting classes have a project which includes an insipid pattern that I never wanted to do.
The way that one person's mistake became a book.....come on!
The hero worship of quilters for the BIG names.
The idea that someone who has been doing garment sewing needs to take a basic quilting class to learn how to match corners, sew a straight seam and cut with the straight grain.....I mean really!

Finally ****drum roll**** how many quilts does a body need?

I never got any of that....all of it added up to a very bizarre artificial environment for me. Glad I am not doing it anymore.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  02:15:52 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Art Quilts? Like freeform crochet and knitting, anything goes! My fabric stash is about as big as my yarn stash and I buy fabric the same way I buy yarn, one fat quarter or yard at a time and one skein at a time. I rarely use just one yarn to make a garment (at least for myself). I love modular knitting (like in Patricia Warner's Dazzling Knits book), and I'm crazy about freeform! Color! Color Color! The more the better! It's so fun to make color choices throughout the process, whether it's quilting or knitting. I love batiks and handdyed fabrics, and every kind of yarn, even acrylic if it's the color I want and the texture works with the piece.

And yarn is great as an embellishment on quilts, couched on the surface or used as edging. My last quilt had a crocheted edge in a colorful yarn.

Even my bead stash is huge, since beads can be used as embellishments on art quilts or crazy quilts, spun into yarn, and of course to make jewelry.

And since art quilts can be any size, you can make lots of them! I've only made one quilt that was for a bed.

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

watcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile Send watcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do some of both, plus for several years I cross-stitched, and I still sew a lot of my clothes - I think much of the attraction for me is the opportunity to play with color/texture, and the tactile sensations of the handwork.

The knitting is definitely more portable than the quilting, tho'. And I like having a useful finished project at the end of the process (mostly I knit socks, fingerless mitts, mittens, hats...and more socks - just a few sweaters).

Jean Marie
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  6:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very late on my input on this topic but I don't think it matters. I'm thinking seriously of narrowing my craft interest to just crochet, knitting and rug making and relinquish quilting altogether but I'm still so attached to my sewing machine and fabrics. I've been thinking this way for the last 4 years and so far have not relinquished quilting altogether, although I have not made any large quilts lately. Crocheting and or Knitting is less complicated and do not require so many tools and gadgets. With quilting, you need all kinds of tools and equipments--this is what boggles my mind--for I always end up with a big pile of mess when I'm sewing.
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you need a pile of gadgets and tools to quilt?
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  06:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I end up with big pile of mess because what I enjoy about quilting is the designing aspect of it. I can buy pre-cut and pre-designed quilting kit but I don't feel the challenge that I needed in order to perform.

zknit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?