Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Project fatigue? Anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

slogerot
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  8:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send slogerot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been working on this baby blanket for a couple of months now. I could easily have finished it a month ago, but...I'm so BORED with it now! Ugh! I want to get it done so I can move on to sock knitting (my new love), but I must finish this blanket so I can give it to its recipient--a friend of mind. Anyone been in this boat? I just need to suck it up and do it. :)

PuppyMomma
Chatty Knitter

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  9:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit PuppyMomma's Homepage Send PuppyMomma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Baby blankets usually take me forever. I try to give myself a few months to do them, usually starting as soon as I find out that the recipient is pregnant. I also keep a few projects OTN, so I can switch back and forth.

Right now I've got a few pairs of socks going, and the 2nd Mystery Shawl, which is the bane of my existence. I'd work on it more often, but it is not a good one to do if you are even remotely tired.

www.funkyjewtopia.com

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:15:56 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I just spent 4 months making two baby blankets. It seemed to take
forever, but I kept chugging along so that I could finally start my
tank top. I then got halfway done with the tank when I got distracted
by starting the Branching Out scarf.
Baby blankets - done, Branching out scarf - done, Tank top - not yet.
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  04:46:41 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, with almost every project I start. And since I have completion issues, I am usually muttering and hyperventillating by the time I finish. But finish I do, because it is soooo nice to see a finished project and a set of empty needles ready for the new project that I was thinking about when I was muttering over the original project!

convoluted?

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  05:47:25 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too. I've got 3 baby blankets to do. One of my co-workers is expecting triplets, or at least his wife is. I'm almost done with the first one, then 2 more to do after that. And they take forever!

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  06:26:40 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always crochet baby blankets, and they work up REALLY fast!!! That might help in future if you like to crochet. I use a sport or light worsted weight cotton in almost all of my baby blankets, like Reynolds Saucy. Not too expensive, machine wash & dry but natural fiber, fast to crochet, and the recipients are generally overwhelmed thinking I put all this personal attention into their baby gift. Well really I do put a lot of thought into it, especially the colors.

As to boredom with projects - YOU BET. That's why I usually have so many going at one time. I'm just starting with socks and I think this is a very good project for when the boredom hits - a quick fix, something that works up quickly and lets you rest a bit before you tackle the big project again.
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  06:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boredom with big projects? Absolutely! Like Mama Cat, I usually have six or seven projects on the needles, in a variety of colors, yarn weights and needle sizes.

For example, this weekend I just couldn't face the lace shawl for one more stitch, so I grabbed the sugar'n'cream and a pair of size 8s and whipped up a washcloth. Now I'm ready to go back to my Peacock Feathers.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

Dejhia
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  06:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dejhia's Homepage  Send Dejhia a Yahoo! Message Send Dejhia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been stuck there before. I feel your pain. After my first baby blanket where I had only one other project going, I've learned. Now, if I'm gonna do something large like a blanket (baby or adult size), I always have more than one other project going. And, always something fun that I really like. This way, when I start to get board with the blanket, I can work on something new for a while, even if it's just a few hours. I go back to the blanket refreashed and ready to keep working.

~ heather
www.dejhia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain! I usually make sweaters for baby presents.

Out of three afghans I have started to make one was completed, the other two have turned into long, interesting scarves. After about 10" in I got bored bound off and added fringe.

Pamela - who has great patience for sweater knitting, though.
Go to Top of Page

slogerot
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile Send slogerot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's good to know I'm not alone. :) The baby was already born so I just need to keep truckin' and finish this thing. I think next time I'll start earlier. :)
Go to Top of Page

v-allknit
Seriously Hooked

India
741 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  08:24:45 AM  Show Profile Send v-allknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes i too get bored with shawls it take for ever to finish, i still have the faroese shawl i had started few months back and now i have to gather courage to re start it coz i want to wear it this winter!!! when i will do that i dont know as winter is still far off:)

shruti

My finished projects http://photos.yahoo.com/dr_shruti2000)
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  09:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also doing a baby blanket. I'm doing one of the block ones so that I can break it up; I know I have to sew all these blocks together one day, but being able to change colors & stitch patterns help the boredom a lot!

And like most others, I also have 1 or 2 other projects going at the same time.

Come see me at my blog:cozy's place

Knitting addict since November '03

Go to Top of Page

rainyrivergirl
Chatty Knitter

Canada
212 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:19:50 PM  Show Profile Send rainyrivergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started a baby blanket for my godson....fifteen years ago! It still sits there in the bottom of my basket, waiting, waiting. I should probably rip it up but for some reason I can't be bothered...So I know how you feel. At least you will probably finish your project before the "baby" is too old:)
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find most baby blanket and scarf projects get boring very quickly. One of the reasons I never knit the Clapotis. Lace patterns with variations -- i.e., that use different patterns -- stay interesting but torture this careless knitter. On the other hand, baby sweaters knit up really fast!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  1:04:39 PM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, I know the feeling. I knitted the Great American Aran Afghan, which consist of 20 squares and a border, a total of 17 skeins of cascade 220. I quickly decided to limit myself to 1-2 squares pr month and knit other stuff. Otherwise I would be bored out of my mind and never finish the thing. The strategy worked successfully. Well, towards the end I got competitive and knitted a square a week ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  1:17:19 PM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always keep several projects going, of several types and at different stages of completion. That way if one thing is boring or stalled, I can switch to something else.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  7:07:50 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep two or three projects going. One - a simple one that can be done while chatting on the phone or after a stressful day at work.

One project that requires thinking and then another one being planned.

I want to start a baby blanket for my friend (the baby blanket in Debbie Macomber's book. Collin's toy ships) I am thinking on waiting until the baby is born though...
scraffan
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  7:10:14 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for getting tired of a project? yes..there has been more than one project that I have thought will this ever end? Surely it will...
That happens when I memorize a pattern that is short and needs to be repeated again and again
scraffan
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  8:11:00 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great American Afghan fatigue. That's why I'm doing anything but. Every time I chance upon the latest square that's close to being done, I look away. I even tried starting a different square. Nope. Just can't do it right now. It's almost a year old. I hope to get the urge soon...
Go to Top of Page

needles54
Chatty Knitter

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  05:30:20 AM  Show Profile Send needles54 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been working on the Print oWave shawl and am at the edging which is tedious and a bit confusing so I had to start a new project just to stay sane and have something else to pick up. When I had started the shawl I was doing a baby sweater and booties but they are done so now i have 43 rows of the Icarus shawl done, and already I wonder which I will work on today! Keep knitting it will get done and there is something new in the future!

"save lives---don't knit and drive"
Go to Top of Page

slogerot
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  10:44:59 AM  Show Profile Send slogerot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally called my friend and told her I wanted to meet to give her the blanket, so we're getting together this Sunday. Now I have to finish it! I work well on a deadline, so I'm excited it'll be over soon. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?