Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When Yarn is Victimized!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  5:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of days ago, a stranger and his lady friend walked by me at Mickey D's while my kids were torturing each other on the playground. I was knitting, of course. The man, using his greasy fingers, has the gall to handle my Blue Sky. Salty, greasy fingerprints are now on my working yarn!! Before I could say anything, one of my kids got stuck in the tunnel and I had to do a rescue. By the time I got back, the criminal and his paramour had escaped. I considered filing a temporary restraining order against them but the judge in the county I was in has no sense of humor (believe me, after 11 years of working in CPS and family violence shelters, I know--he's just squats in his robe and scowls)

This brings me to my question--In what situation has your yarn been assaulted and how did you deal with it?

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

Francie
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  5:22:48 PM  Show Profile Send Francie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do cats at perps count?
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  5:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was on the train, happily knitting away on a sock and a woman sat down next to me, snatched it out of my hands and told me I was holding the needles wrong - I was too taken aback to say anything - just relieved her of it and sat gaping like a fish.

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  5:52:04 PM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend NOT to be nice in situations like this. A comment (in a fairly rude tone of voice) along the lines of 'Excuse me! First of all, that's expensive yarn and you have fast food grease on your hands, and secondly, it doesn't belong to you. If you'd like to see something, please be polite enough to ask!'

But then.... I'll never be accused of being a lady either. ;p

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  5:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PEOPLE...... they're the worst!!!!

Krista
"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had people snatch wool out of my hands, but i've had rude comments placed in my direction. But i think everyone's had that.

Not every Mary in the world has a lamb like mine
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  8:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my kids are notorious for snatching right out of my hands.

I figure if someone touches the project or yarn with dirty hands, I'll ignore it and just wash the item when I'm done. With how filthy my kids are, an adult's dirty hands are nothing compared to my kids, especially my son.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  8:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noone has ever done that to me, but every single child that comes any where near my counter has to click it. Even some adults have. My kids don't because they know I'll say "How many times did you click that?" While trying not to freak out, and scare the child in question! My SIL actually got mad at me for asking her son not to touch my knitting things. I told him they weren't toys in a nice way! Any time I put my clicker down now, I write what row I'm on. Even if I only set it down for a second!!

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  9:30:48 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Christy: Spent almost 35 years in a branch of the Family Law Court. I was there so long when I started it was called Domestic Relations. In my branch we did nothing but custody and visits unless the probate judge didn't want to deal with guardianship which was most of the time. Won't get into a rant. There are people out there that when they see me they turn and walk away as they don't want to put up with me. Sorry this happened to you with your yarn and wouldn't you know that your kid gets stuck at the time you want to stick the perk with your needles. Do you suppose the perk paid your...won't got there. Tee hee. Take care. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!" Brian Copeland

Bev
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  11:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know...I'm sure there must be a law against yarn abuse somewhere out there. It at least has to be self-defense to whap him with one of the knitting needles. When knitters take over the world...

Another reason that I always make sure that I wash everything I make before I use it or give it to the recipient!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  12:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have been the victim of hit-n-run counter clicking. My husband just can't help himself. : |

Then there are other times where he'll suspiciously act like he's done it.. then when I've freaked out sufficiently enough he'll let me see that he hadn't.

I can't decide which is actually more annoying..

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Travelling Cables Cardigan KAL
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  06:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a colleague (female) who is all touchy-feely about things.

she generally wants to "pat" whatever sweater or knitted item I have on.

This wouldn't be a problem except I have extreme personal-space issues and it bugs me. I haven't said anything to her because I know (a) I am extreme in my personal-space issues and (b) she's being complimentary of what I've knit and (c) logically, it doesn't seem "unreasonable" to me for her to want to touch the shoulder or sleeve of whatever I have on.

but I still don't like being touched...
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  06:34:59 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, OK, let's all be honest here.

How many of you are your own worst enemies in terms of yarn abuse?

I will start the confession:

1) I have put projects aside to get something pressing done, meaning to get back to them, and then years later found them covered with voracious dust bunnies gnawing away at the poor wool.

2) While sitting on the couch watching TV and knitting, I have reached over to get a drink/knosh and dribbled sticky, oily, and/or permanent food colored substances on my work.

3) While knitting in the car on a long trip, I have gotten in/out and slammed the yarn in the door, usually managing to get oil or melted rubber door seal on the poor thing.

4) Once I managed to get my work caught on a nail (don't ask) and ripped a hole in the middle of it.

5) And while Civil War reenacting and knitting outside, I cannot count the number of times I have dropped my wool in water, dirt, coffee, gunpowder (again, don't ask), and briars.

OK, next confessor???[:((]

Polly
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  06:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, okay, okay. Here goes...Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I have not been the best friend to yarn like I should be. I've glued to paper for craft projects (in my defense, it was the $1.00 Walmart yarn). I've also--and I'm ashamed to admit it--used it as an emergency leash for my then uncontrollable Collie puppy. But I've learned my lesson. For penance, I will lovingly pet my yarn four times a day for a week, spouting positive and encouraging phrases like "You're the best yarn EVER." or "I'll knit you into a fabulous sweater and give you to a person who will dote upon you." I'm sorry.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  07:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabbico

1) I have put projects aside to get something pressing done, meaning to get back to them, and then years later found them covered with voracious dust bunnies gnawing away at the poor wool.

2) While sitting on the couch watching TV and knitting, I have reached over to get a drink/knosh and dribbled sticky, oily, and/or permanent food colored substances on my work.

Polly

Yes, I am guilty of both of these! It's usually coffee[blush].
And, Kimaroo, maybe we need to invent a clicky-counter-lock. One only yarn people know how to use.[:00]

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  1:16:22 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or in my case, red wine, beer or a French martine:)

My blog at KristiKnits.com
[img]http://www.kristiknits.com/images/KristiKnits_Logo_Green.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  11:41:07 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that my husband still breaths is testament only to my tolerance and his speed. He likes to wait until I'm trying to count cast on stitches or verify a stitch coundt and spew out random numbers as I am counting under my breath. Since this inevitably confuses me and I loose my count...
I was working on an exquisite version of a wedding ring shawl, knit in 2/16 wool textile grade. Just incredible stuff. I took it with me in the truck and I swear, without ever touching the shawl, managed to get a HUGE smear of 5th wheel grease on the cabled center piece. I threw it out. No one can get 5th wheel grease out of wool.
Lin
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  01:46:54 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote] French martini

Sounded delicious so I googled the recipe.
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink11583.html
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink1504.html

yummy, thanks! I'll try not to spill it over the Japanese linen I'm currently working with!
Go to Top of Page

cactisam
New Pal

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  11:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cactisam's Homepage Send cactisam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really feel for you, some people just don't realize the importance of someone's creation. I'm not sure what I would have done; something like that makes you speechless in disbelief. I would probably end up being carted off in handcuffs and my needles embedded through the culprits hands, not really, just a thought.

I hope you're feeling better.

cactisam

http://knitskoid.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  11:38:37 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llinn

The fact that my husband still breaths is testament only to my tolerance and his speed. He likes to wait until I'm trying to count cast on stitches or verify a stitch coundt and spew out random numbers as I am counting under my breath. Since this inevitably confuses me and I loose my count...
I was working on an exquisite version of a wedding ring shawl, knit in 2/16 wool textile grade. Just incredible stuff. I took it with me in the truck and I swear, without ever touching the shawl, managed to get a HUGE smear of 5th wheel grease on the cabled center piece. I threw it out. No one can get 5th wheel grease out of wool.
Lin

When you cast on, place a stitch marker every 10 stitches so you count in multiples of 10 which will spoil his "fun"-- to get to 200 stitches you only need to count to 20 and it is not hard to keep track of that when he's indulging in nasty behavior.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  10:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llinn

He likes to wait until I'm trying to count cast on stitches or verify a stitch coundt and spew out random numbers as I am counting under my breath. Since this inevitably confuses me and I loose my count...

Mine does that too!! You are not alone.. (and they are evil.)

quote:
Originally posted by KnittAR

And, Kimaroo, maybe we need to invent a clicky-counter-lock. One only yarn people know how to use.

I agree.. or maybe it could be a thumb-print identification lock.. Then only I could have the power to click the number! Muah ah ah ah!!

I half-way can't blame him though.. my counter is really fun to click.. and it's shiny. <: /

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Travelling Cables Cardigan KAL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth