Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When Yarn is Victimized!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  11:12:38 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have an answer on how to handle people who are rude, but I have started framing most of my needlework pieces with glass in front for just that reason: some people just have to touch everything.

Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  07:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For every bad, bad story, there's a funny one...

My husband and I were watching TV both sitting on the couch. I was frogging something or other, frogging some then winding it into a ball. I pulled out some, didn't wind it, left it next to where I was sitting, and got up for a drink. When I returned, I sat down and didn't pick it up right away. I swear, my husband sounded tearful and actually frightened as he picked up the unraveled part and said "Honey, look what happened...". Poor man, thought he had somehow frogged it just by sitting next to it.

Normally I would have let him squirm for a sec, but I felt so sorry for him I just had to tell him.
Go to Top of Page

knitcatmom
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  08:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitcatmom's Homepage Send knitcatmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My husband used to do the random-number-generating thing. He stopped a while back. I think it has to do with my not finishing his monk's bag. I just have to put the pieces together and the edging. It's been in that state for longer than I like to admit. He gives me reminders every once in a while.

Last night while I was casting on yet another project, DS1 decided he wanted to play his 'computer game' which is actually a learning thing, but he doesn't know that. Anyways, he decided to do the math part while I tried to cast on. I chased him out. He came back later and asked 'Mom, are you done counting yet?'. Since I was, I 'let' him play the math game. I think I need to set my priorities a little better.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the wool and other fiber abuse that happens near me can be blamed on my pets or my friends' kids.

Our cat Yarrow once mouthed a skein of sock yarn so much that it was crispy by the time I found him. I knew I had to do something about it right away since kitty-saliva breaks down proteins, so I had to cast on a very strange-feeling sock. It has since been knitted up and washed and seems to have recovered.

My friend Claire's son poured melted ice-cream on some gorgeous hand-dyed, hand-spun at MD Sheep and Wool a couple of years ago. I may never recover. Claire was, of course, mortified and very apologetic, but there was no way to replace the yarn because I already owned all of it. The yarn seems ok now, but it still doesn't want to talk about it.

I made a wool quilt a few years ago, and was trying to quilt it while we were having a big living history event. Every single child and dog there kept trying to lay on it, play on it, eat on it, or anything else they could think of to cause trouble even though I was clearly trying to work on it. I managed to stay calm and kind until someone tried to changer her daughter's diaper on the quilt, which I was actively quilting and was full of pins. I maybe got a bit peevish. The quilt is still not ok. The whole quilt is wonky, and will remain so forever.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  09:06:40 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had anyone or anything actually abuse yarn(aside from the time I spilled vodka on mine but that's sterile LOL) but once had the laundromat attendant take knitting out of my hands because I was knitting wrong.

When I knit in public or take knitting on a trip I only bring something that I wouldn't care if it got lost or dirty, such as a facecloth or sock.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  09:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years of being a model cross stitcher taught me to wash my hands constantly. Alot of projects were done on white fabric and the fabric picks up grease/oils from your hands. Knitting has actually relaxed me on this issue. If I take a drink from the cup, I don't have to wash my hands again. With that, I think I might do bodily harm to someone if they grab a project out of my hands or started touching the yarn with greasy hands.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  10:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lanea

I managed to stay calm and kind until someone tried to changer her daughter's diaper on the quilt, which I was actively quilting and was full of pins. I maybe got a bit peevish. The quilt is still not ok. The whole quilt is wonky, and will remain so forever.

Unbelievable![**] I probably would have had a screaming fit!!

Kimaroo--where'd you get a shiny counter? Mine's plastic.

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  11:25:33 AM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Lanea

Most of the wool and other fiber abuse that happens near me can be blamed on my pets or my friends' kids.

I have had the "You're knitting all wrong!" comment, since I knit the "slow" non-continental style. But I have to say that I *lucked out* with my pet. She is an adorable Icelandic sheepdog and I brought her home as a 9 week-old pup and expected to have to hide the knit stuff BUT, she was raised with her mom and littermates in the kitchen of a spinner-knitter! and she was apparently completely conditioned not to touch a thing that's fiber-related. From the first I could always leave anything anyplace and she doesn't even sniff at it. Socks and underwear, that's another story entirely!

Carol in Maine
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnittAR

Unbelievable![**] I probably would have had a screaming fit!!

Yeah, it was screwed up on a few levels. I'm not generally bothered by any of the parenting stuff people have to do with babies--as long as people are taking care of their kids, I'm happy. BUT no one should be put down on a quilt full of pins. It's dangerous and cruel. And who thinks it's ok to put their baby on something literally while it is being stitched on? The quilt was in my lap and I was clearly quilting it. We needn't discuss the what-ifs associated with diapers and the risks they carry.

Go to Top of Page

craftybernie
Gabber Extraordinaire

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit craftybernie's Homepage Send craftybernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luckly my yarn has never been the victim of unsolicited mauling, but I wouldn't hesitate to kick a potential mauler in the shins! Unwanted physical contact with my wool is definitely not allowed (cats exempt of course!)

Bernie

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me!"

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knitting blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.knit1blogtoo.blogspot.com (knitting bloggers webring)
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  10:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kimaroo--where'd you get a shiny counter? Mine's plastic.

At Office Depot : ) Here's what it looks like: Link

I'm a resourceful little knitter : ) mostly I wanted something that counted above two digits..

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Travelling Cables Cardigan KAL
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  09:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a neat clicker, Kimaroo! I might have to get one.
I had a little knit abuse happen to me today. A kid in my knit class started spinning my small knit bag around by the handles. He did it really fast, so nothing flew out, but yikes! I can just imagine 6 kids with needles stuck in them, and all the parents saying "What happened??!!"

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

craftybernie
Gabber Extraordinaire

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  12:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftybernie's Homepage Send craftybernie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He did it really fast, so nothing flew out, but yikes! I can just imagine 6 kids with needles stuck in them, and all the parents saying "What happened??!!"

Later....AR
Come visit my blog

I guess it would beat stapling the little tikes to their chairs to keep them in their places! Lol.

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me!"

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knitting blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.knit1blogtoo.blogspot.com (knitting bloggers webring)
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I am getting a taser. If anyone touches my yarn, I'll taser first and ask questions later! ;-)

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  5:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bonnie,
I think tasering is legal in Texas. Maybe I should move back home and try it out.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  6:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will you only taser people who touch, or people who make rude comments, too?
Just wondering. LOL!

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  05:30:11 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I can hire DH out for yarn guarding! He's taser certified, armed, has the big scary cop voice ("Put down the yarn! Do it now!") and pretty cute, IMO.
The only big crisis I faced was in the middle of a teeny, tiny, microscopically printed lace chart that was full of errors I was fixing as I knit them...I had my row marked with an extra sticky sticky note...and my 6 year old tried to "help" me by removing the note and moving it to the top of the page, after I"d told him 4 times in a row not to touch it. I still feel guilty about how I reacted, but after I cooled off we had a good talk about not messing with other people's projects. (He's a project kind of kid, so he got it...I, on the other hand, had to frog the whole stinking sleeve!)
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  05:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, hehehe

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  9:21:01 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About having the clicker go off when yu're not looking (or are looking but not doing the clicking -- grrr)

I just bought myself one of the green locking ones. When it's not being used my teddy bear, Jerimah Jay Kadogan IV who lives in my knitting room, wears it.

I've had pretty good luck -- have had women on the bus want to try. When there's a langauge barrier, I just hand it over (assuming it's st st) and let them knit a bit. I have been known to frog a bit and have made several new friends this way.

Go to Top of Page

bigpikachica
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  10:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigpikachica's Homepage Send bigpikachica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive me, Knitting Goddesses!! I have used yarn from my stash to bind up brush from trimming my trees back!!! At least it was Red Heart, but still. FORGIVE ME, FOR I AM A YARN ABUSER (but only with the cheap stuff).

Heather
~~http://heathershobbyblog.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heather's Hobby Blog
http://heathershobbyblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page