Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting for a school auction....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been asked to knit an item for my childrens' school auction which will take place in approximately 3.5 months. I don't mind donating something, but I can't decide what would be the best "bang for the buck". I am looking for ideas which will not be too time consuming or expensive but will garner some interest and bidding. The parent body of this school is, for the most part, extrememly affluent and willing to spend big bucks, but my item will need to stand out. Should I do a large felted tote with flowers like the Julia Roberts tote or a beautiful shawl or a matching hat and scarf??? I would love to know your suggestions. Thanks.

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irish Diamond Shawl from Folk Shawls by Cheryle Oberle.

Icarus from Interweave Knits Summer 2006.

Those are the only two I can think of.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

Cam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:30:51 AM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely do a felted item -- such as a Noni bag. I have also done the Oregon Tote (http://www.knitkit.com/OregonTotes.htm) and with a beautiful brooch attached, I have been offered as much as $125 for my bag before. It cost me about $35 to make and then add the cost of the brooch.

Cam
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made some scarves last year and still get comments on them. I can't remember all the patterns, but I know I did Knitty's Branching Out and a Leaf Lace Cravat from a past Interweave Knits.

I would use some "luxury" yarns from Knitpicks or keep an eye on Elann for good deals.

The nice thing about the scarves is that they don't take a lot of time to make but look great. The same could be said about a felted bag, though. What you could do is look at what the bidders are wearing when you go to the school for other events, so you can see what they like. Gloves made with alpaca should probably be popular, especially if you make them beaded.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Felted bag(s) would be easiest IMHO. Cheap wool that felts, knit in the round, and thrown in the washer. That's what I'd do. You could even double the wool, and knit on big circular needles.

A great place to find really cheap wool is the Goodwill. It takes a little time, but you can find men's 100% wool sweaters for something like $3 to $5 and that's quite a bit of yarn!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:10:20 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what kind of thrift shops do you have AR? Every time I go into mine the majority of the clothes are cheap, Walmart-type clothes. Nothing nice, certainly no wool. At all. I couldn't even find a sweater that had nice buttons I could use for something else.

I wanna shop at yours!

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I go to a huge Goodwill shop in Traverse City, MI. There are a lot of junky things, but always some real wool sweaters! I guess you have to dig through the junk to find the treasure. I usually find sweaters I love, but I almost never wear them, so I rip 'em for the wool. Now I want to go shop there!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3983 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:30:08 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think scarves in very soft yarn would sell well. The softness gets attention every time. I also think felted bags would sell well. The idea of adding a brooch sounds like a winner to me. I never thought of that and will use it on futire bags.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Aseneth
Chatty Knitter

158 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile Send Aseneth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try the Edgar scarf from Knitty

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTedgar.html

It looks wonderful in Noro and I think will surely draw attention!

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  12:44:36 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just my opinion, but...

Just because the parents are *able* to spend big bucks, doesn't mean they *will*.
Auctions usually bring out the cheapster in all of us...people just don't want to spend a cent more than they have to.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend alot of time & money on your project only to have it sell for a minimal fee, which is what usually happens.
Most people just don't appreciate the time & money it takes to make a quality handknit item in this world of mass retailers where cheap is the bottom line.

If I were you, I'd make something nice (like the Knitty Branching Out Scarf or the like) and let it go at that.

Good luck. :)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  2:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I am sorta leaning toward a large felted tote since I have sooooo much wool in the stash. Where I live, it's too hot to wear it most of the time, but we can carry a felted bag. Also, I picked up some brooches last fall at Goody's and Ross when they were clearanced, and this would be a good use of them. There's another knitter working on this who likes the scarf and/or wrap idea, so I'll pass those along as well. And, as has been pointed out (and as I've experienced first-hand), even well-heeled people don't always want to pay big bucks for a knitted item. I am certainly going to budget my time and yarn accordingly!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  2:47:36 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas so far. I'll put my vote in for a set of place mats or a table runner - you're far more likely to get interest in soemthing that is not clothing.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  05:50:02 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At our school auctions, anything in school colors goes well. Hat, scarf, mittens in school color stripes would be fun for football games! Call it the "benchwarmer" set or something.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe