Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Which comes first? The Pattern or The Yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was curious about other knitters habits, which comes first the pattern you want to knit or yarn you fall in love with.

For me both, sometimes I do fall in love with the yarn and just buy it then later on I decide what to make. How do I know how much to get? Well it depends on the yarn, and how expensive it is and what it could become. Then I choose a pattern or often combinations of patterns or even make it up.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:05:38 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some times its yarn and some times its the pattern.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly the pattern comes first. But if I see a yarn I can't live without, I will buy it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Pattern" is a little strong for my style, but I do both - I'll buy sock yarn just because I see and want it, or specifically order sock yarn because I want socks in that yarn. And sweaters - I'll get a sweater's worth of wool, but sometimes I'll have a design in mind when I choose it.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say both too. I agree with Molly about the sock yarn and the sweater yarn. I've purchased yarn for a sweater when it's been a great price, knowing that I will find a pattern to use it. For lace, I've been more, "ooohh, that's beautiful, must find yarn".

Angie
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, for me, it's the yarn. There's just something about touching the yarn. The pattern comes later (much later after I'm through imagining what the yarn could be).

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  1:37:03 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually the pattern. I see something I "must" have - then comes the yarn hunt.

Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  1:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's about half and half for me. When I go to visit my favorite yarn pusher I always have a list of projects for which I need to buy yarn. But, inevitably, there's something luscious on the shelves that just plain demands to go home with me, even though I have no idea what it'll become.

This may just be the reason I've got enough in stash to keep me busy for the next 30 years or so...

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AuntyNin, Only 30 years worth of stash. You definitely need some more. hehe

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  2:17:09 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most decidedly the yarn. I think I did it the other way when I was really just starting with sweaters - I'd know I want to make a sweater, search through the patterns, find one I liked, then pick out the yarn.

But in recent years, it's the yarn that calls my name. I've sometimes had a vague idea that I want to make this-or-that kind of sweater, but by the time the yarn gets knit up my plans have changed.
Go to Top of Page

Medea
Chatty Knitter

334 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  4:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Medea's Homepage Send Medea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually the pattern for me. If I pick a yarn without a pattern sometimes I have a hard time finding a pattern to go with it. I'm too much of a beginner to improvise easily from the yarn.

Jenny

I'm teaching myself to knit -- dare I call myself an "advanced beginner" now? Pictures are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos
Go to Top of Page

kjtendyke
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  4:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kjtendyke's Homepage Send kjtendyke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The yarn usually comes to me first. I'm one to usually make up my own patterns so when I see a yarn that calls for something to be made, I'll buy what I think will be enough for the design that pops into mind... Then it gets set aside and forgotten about until I finish up whatever it is that I'm currently working on...I try not to buy yarn too often.

~Kristen~ [img]http://kristentendyke.com/images/turtle.gif[/img]

www.kristentendyke.com
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's both. Sometimes I go in with a pattern in mind and find some yarn for it. Other times, it's the yarn that's calling my name.

Lately I seem to have developed a knack of buying yarn for a specific pattern and discovering once I'm home that I either can't get gauge or I bought the wrong weight for the pattern. So then I scramble either to find a pattern that will work or to rewrite the original pattern.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  5:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Generally, the pattern idea comes and then I hunt for yarn for that pattern. Socks don't count, however. I'll buy sock yarn just because it's pretty and soft and find a pattern for it later, if I use any at all.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  7:54:43 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great question!!

98% of the time it's the yarn, for me.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  8:18:51 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun thread to follow! I wonder if our yarn/pattern buying trends reflect our personalities a little?

When I first started knitting, I stashed a lot of yarn without a pattern in mind. Now, it's usually the pattern that inspires me. I have the fun of finding the perfect yarn, and sometimes that can take a long time, but my purchases fit the project. I have bought many skeins of yarn on impulse, thinking that I'd find a project later, but those yarns usually end up in the forgotten stash for various reasons.

I buy beautiful sock yarns whenever I find them, I know that I'll easily find a pattern later.

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  8:29:12 PM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we all think alike when it comes to yarn and patterns.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

stupaj
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  8:50:31 PM  Show Profile Send stupaj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it is 99% of the time, the yarn....then after I have sat with it, sometimes for a couple of years it finally speaks to me..sometimes I "hear" it before I even get home with it..but it is as I said, the yarn first...Color & texture are the most important thing, weight is of little concern, I can always find a project for it. Price? I wish I could say I control myself..but I would be lying..very seldom has the price of a beloved yarn stopped me. I may eat oatmeal for 2 weeks, but I have my yarn! Sick? Perhaps, but who the heck cares?! In this world a fiber addiction is a small thing.

Fiber Freak
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  8:51:37 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it's always the pattern. I'm never looking for yarn without a pattern in mind. The stash I have is all a result of buying yarn for a specific project that didn't work out.

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  8:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep a running list of projects I want to design. I generally have a yarn in mind but that usually changes.

I buy yarn first, usually.

When using commercial patterns it's often a case of finding a pattern then digging out a yarn from my stash. (My current in-house stash is down to 17 balls, 3 of which are being used for specific projects. Arg!)

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  9:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which came first the yarn or the pattern is a lot like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg.

IMO, I have no clue!!!

"I want to make X"
and
"oooo purty yarn... what can I make?"

happen all the time for me. DP has given up trying to figure me out.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.