Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Your alltime favorite shawl...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  11:41:34 AM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been browsing the web and found that the following lace shawls are quite popular: Kiri, Birch, Flower Basket, Charlotte's web Peacock Feathers and some others.

I was wondering... what is your alltime favorite lace shawl/scarf/stole you ever knitted and which you would recommned everyone to try?

What pleased you the most about it? It's simplicity, it's rythm, it's difficulty.. and did you get many "oohs and aaaahs" once it was finished? Or even, were you a tiny bid sad once it was finished?

Thanks!
Beee :)

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  12:44:03 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple actually. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of them but one is the Lace Garland Shawl from the book, Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitters Magazine. It was the first circular shawl I did. It looked complicated but I found that if I just went row by row through the chart it wasn't too bad. The thing I like about circular shawls is that they look like giant flowers. I did find a picture of one in progress on someone's blog:

When Knitting Was a Manly Art

My other favorite is the Summer in Kansas shawl. I just think it is really pretty and wasn't hard to do. Here's a link to the pattern from Blackberry Ridge:

Summer in Kansas Shawl

I had to laugh about whether I ever feel sad about finishing. I'm a slow knitter and it often takes me quite a while to finish a shawl especially since I usually work on 2 or 3 at the same time. Usually, I am more than happy to be done as I have often reached that "ugh, why did I ever pick that color?!" stage. Sometimes when I am going to be giving the shawl away, I do feel sad because I know I won't be seeing much of it anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite so far has to be Peacock Feathers. It had enough variety to keep me interested but was not so complicated that I got frustrated with it.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

Medea
Chatty Knitter

334 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  12:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Medea's Homepage Send Medea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calamintha, I'm about to start Summer in Kansas as my first lace project. I figured I should just dive in and try it. If it turns out nicely I'm going to give it to my Grandmother (who lives in Kansas) for Christmas. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Jenny

I'm teaching myself to knit -- dare I call myself an "advanced beginner" now? Pictures are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooooh, Calamintha, those are beeeeeeeautiful! And very intricate, I imagine :) Thanks for the links! (how do you do that without showing the "http:// and stuff..."?)

I can imagine that you feel sad when you give a shawl away...
Working at 2 or 3 at the same time? Oy and woah :)

Beee
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  12:55:44 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rebecca, Peacock Feathers is so beautiful. That one is on my list too :)

Beee
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  3:09:19 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jenny, I am sorry to say that I think I am the last person on the planet who does not have a digital camera. I've thought about it but really the only thing I would use it for is my knitting!

I am happy to say though that it does resemble the picture! I used a light green (sage) laceweight merino.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beee, I try not to let it get out of hand. So 3 at a time is my limit. It really is better if you can restrain yourself! I find that if I try to work on too many it interferes with the rhythm of getting to know the pattern. 2 is good because it allows me to switch off if I get bored.

I wanted to tell you also that I decided to block what I have done on the Legends of the Shetland Seas in the Misti Lace Alpaca so far and wow! What a difference! The Misti Lace looks incredible when blocked. This shawl is done in garter based lace which is not my favorite but it still looks wonderful!

About the urls, I used to do web pages at my last job but recently Clara posted a message about how to do this so as to avoid very long urls that cause the message board to become very w i d e:

How to do short, descriptive urls
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  4:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beee,

I have only been knitting lace since February. A lace shawl was my Olympic endeavor and have been hooked ever since.

I haven't one favorite, but if I was forced to chose one, it would have to be the Flower Basket Shawl.

Lace continues to awe me, even my own knitting. I marvel how it undegoes a metamorphasis from this "blump" of nothing into the most elegant lace as a finished product. I have to pinch myself to believe that I could possibly create something that fabulous.

Dorene
my blog: http://2sticksandastring.blogspot.com
coming soon: www.twosticksandastring.com
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  5:38:52 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calamintha, I was wondering how your Misti Alpaca project looked like :)

I am still knitting the Kimono Shawl, Oberle with Misti and so far so good... Your update makes me more excited!

Dorene, just checked your website :) Your lace work looks very very pretty! Last night I was swatching Kiri and FBS :)

Beee
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yaaaay! My short descriptive url worked! Thanks, Calamintha!
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  5:58:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite is Birch; for such a simple, repetitive pattern, it is a very effective, elegant shawl.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2006 Stats: 2 WIPs, 11 FOs
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  6:13:28 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tam, I saw two blushing brides wearing the Birch shawl... Indeed LOVELY! That one is definitely on my list too to knit :)
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  6:19:51 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calamintha: I really want to do the Lace Garland shawl and I noticed the pattern calls for 1,000 yards of sport weight and you used merino lace weight. Do you have a sport or fingering weight you like best?

I just finished converting a handwritten pattern of my grandmother's for a lace table cloth into a shawl and I am HOOKED.
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Milinda, converting that handwritten pattern must have been a lot of work!
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  6:31:55 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the shawls I've knit to this point, my favorite is my Springtime Shawl, which I made from a tablecloth pattern in the First Book of Modern Lace Knitting. I totally enjoyed knitting it, and I absolutely adore the finished product.

I just finished the Sampler Stole from A Gathering of Lace, and it's my favorite finished object, but I didn't really get much joy from knitting it. I like working in the round, so the back and forth of the stole wasn't really enjoyable knitting for me.

Really, I just love knitting lace, so whatever it is, doesn't really matter

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  7:02:51 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Milinda, I'm sorry I didn't make that very clear! I used the laceweight Superfine merino for the Summer in Kansas shawl not the Lace Garland. For the Lace Garland shawl I used a Norwegian Superwash Sport weight wool that I got from Elann and I am pretty sure it is no longer available, sorry to say. It was a very pretty medium blue.

As far as favorite sport or fingering weight goes, I don't really have one. I wish that Zephyr was available in fingering weight. I haven't tried Frog Tree Alpaca but I have heard good things about it. I do like Baby Ull in fingering weight. It's merino and has the added advantage of being superwash. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

That does sound like a lot of work converting that pattern but very satisfying I would imagine. One of the projects that I am working on now is a shawl based on a tablecloth pattern from Marianne Kinzel's Second Book of Modern Lace Knitting. It's a giant Daffodil!

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  8:23:24 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Calamintha

As far as favorite sport or fingering weight goes, I don't really have one. I wish that Zephyr was available in fingering weight. I haven't tried Frog Tree Alpaca but I have heard good things about it. I do like Baby Ull in fingering weight. It's merino and has the added advantage of being superwash. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

:: My husband just purchased some Zephyr for me and that is gorgeous yarn! I wish they made that in fingering, too.

I noticed Webs has some Baby Ull, so it's good to know you like it.

Calamintha:

That does sound like a lot of work converting that pattern but very satisfying I would imagine. One of the projects that I am working on now is a shawl based on a tablecloth pattern from Marianne Kinzel's Second Book of Modern Lace Knitting. It's a giant Daffodil!

::I was looking at both Marianne Kinzel's Modern Lace Knitting books. Are you familiar with the first one? I'm wondering if I should get that one first.

Yes, making that pattern over was work, but I remember loving that tablecloth so much as a kid and I wasn't the one who got it when they dispersed her belongings. So, I decided to make a shawl and think of her that way. I wound up with 856 stitches and it was hard to handle them all! I am about to block it. But I'm like you, Calamintha, I am the other person who doesn't have a digital camera! :00]

I'm so proud of the project, I may force my way on the national news so you can all see it![:00][:00]
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  9:12:51 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love both my Rosebud Shawl (www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk) and my Highland Triangle from Folk Shawls (done in laceweight mohair). I think I will also love my current Fir Cone Shawl (From Folk Shawls as well)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/QueenLorien/USALaceTeam.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Beee
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  11:13:05 PM  Show Profile Send Beee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH MY LORD... 856 stitches... I am very curious to see what it looks like!

Melissa: Heard so many good things about A Gathering of Lace... Must. Have it!

Lavender Stripes: I simply LOVE Folk Shawls! My first (and only...yet) lace book ever.
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  04:13:00 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Beee, I'm laughing, because if you're going to knit lace shawls, 856 stitches is nothing! My Springtime Shawl had 1575 on the final repeats. And I made the small version. I'm not even sure how many stitches the large version would have ended up having, but well over 2000. Took me nearly an hour to do each row ;)

Definitely get A Gathering of Lace, there are so many pretty projects in it. I'm on my fifth project from the book, and there are a bunch more I'm going to make, too!

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by