Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 What do you love most about knitting socks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  09:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love knitting socks because of the little challenges and the quick outcome. I have broken the sock construction into sections and the little challenges of each section is what I really like. I also like the way I can create patterns and did I say the quick gratification of a finished project in a short time.

Most of all I love wearing my hand knit socks! Socks Rock!

Virgin socks, that first time I try them on and wear them and the way they feel.

Sock knitting has made me run out and get a pedicure, I'm paying more attention to my feet. I'm getting a foot fetish! No I was just kidding, but sock knitting is addicting.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like knitting socks because it can be truly mindless knitting - nothing but knit stitch for hours. I like that when I wish to get more technical I can knit a sock to play with new techniques and designs that I would never bother with if I had to make a large garment.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ladysmithknitter
Chatty Knitter

152 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:27:31 AM  Show Profile Send ladysmithknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that they're custom fit. I make mine 2 at a time, toe-up, and love having them fit perfectly. I try them on while knitting to get the best fit. It's also fun to try different patterns on something small, instead of a whole sweater. And they're really portable!

Can't love only one thing!

Project pictures at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b338/annemarie246/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How useful they are, hands down.

I can only really use (because I'm that type ;) one scarf, one hat, etc. But I can use a dozen, two dozen, three dozen sweaters or pairs of socks, so I'm happy to knit those time and time again.

They're portable, they're fun, the tiny stitches are incredibly beautiful - but the number one reason for me is always going to be usefulness.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:31:02 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Creating them is so much fun. Wearing them is even better.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are addictive. I like that people are amazed that these don't have to be created by machine, and how fascinated everyone can be when they see DPNs! I read somewhere that there is no love in a mass-produced sock, so true. Am always thrilled when I can manufacture my own clothing articles.
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like many things about knitting socks, but my absolutely favorite is putting them on.
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  11:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- I love how portable they are as a knitting project.
- I love that they are finished relatively quickly, thus ensuring that I can get through lots of different fun sock yarns quickly.
- I love that I can try all different kinds/brands of sock yarns without a huge investment.
- I love that I can try out all kinds of patterns and techniques that I might find a bit more daunting on a larger project.
- I love how I never seem to get tired of making them.
- I love that you can never have too many of them, so I can just keep making them.
- And I love wearing handknit socks that were custom-made for my own feet!

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
www.theloopyewe.com/sheri/ (blog)
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love how they feel when I wear them.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

pdh1969
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:22:21 PM  Show Profile Send pdh1969 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love making them for other people. I've knit 14 pairs and only 2 have been for me. Socks are something unique. No one else will choose exactly the same yarn and pattern.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks:
I love wearing something I've made just for "me" like it's a secret.

I love the yarns, the choices, the content and of course the colors.

I love taking my craft to the oddest places and being able to knit at the spur of the moment. Not many portable crafts out there for people like me....on the go.

I love my socks, but get great satisfaction looking and gleaning ideas for new sock patterns from such a diverse group as this one.

But mostly, I love the fact that sock knitting has been an avenue for making new friends and acquaintances.

Sappy as ever,

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

dnorthcutt
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile Send dnorthcutt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love knitting socks because I feel like I have accomplished something rather quickly.

I love how everyone says "you can really knit socks" LOL.

I love that I taught myself to knit them, and that everyone wants a pair.

I love everything about it and its only one of two things that I taught myself to knit so far.

The other thing I can knit is baby blankets in a lace and fan pattern.

Hopefully someday I will venture into knitting a sweater but for now I am still intimidated by them...

Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnorthcutt

Hopefully someday I will venture into knitting a sweater but for now I am still intimidated by them...

Good Lord, sweaters are easy...I'M intimidated with the idea of making socks! I took a magic loop class, which I got the hang of, but I have not made the plunge yet into making socks. I've always been fascinated with people who can do it. I remember, a few years ago, I was at a function and the lady beside me was knitting a sock with double pointed needles. I couldn't keep my eyes of it...it was just so amazing. I hope to sometime get over my angst and give it a go!

PAM
Go to Top of Page

Pat in east Texas
Chatty Knitter

314 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  1:08:09 PM  Show Profile Send Pat in east Texas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the way they feel, the way they fit, the way they keep my feet just warm enough. I love knitting them with 5 dpn's, cuff down, and telling people who ask "how do you do that?" that I'm only knitting with 2 needles at a time - it's so much easier than it looks. I love the colors of sock yarn, especially the subtly self-striping and variegated yarns.
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  2:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At first I too was very intimidated by those little sticks, now I got used to them. It did not take long. I find the position of the needle to the left makes a big difference. Weather the next needle is on top or bottom of the current knitting needle. I like the in work needle to be on top of both. I hope that kind of makes sense. It may be a visual.

One thing for sure it is addicting, once I started I can't stop....I'll have warm cozy toes when the weather gets cooler.

Happy Knitting,

ana

Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  2:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love being able to knit any color or stitch pattern without the commitment of making a whole sweater. I tend to pick lots of bold, handpainted colors that I'm sure I would not wear up near my face, but they look fabulous on my feet:)

Alyssa >^..^<
www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kaidyd
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:10:35 PM  Show Profile Send kaidyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that just about the time you are bored with the ribbing, it's time to knit the leg; then when you are bored with the leg pattern, it's time to knit the heel, etc. Each individual section renews my interest in finishing the sock.

Now that I've figured it out, the Kitchener stitch is the best part

I like to try different patterns on the cuffs.

I love to make my feet and those of my family and friends very, very comfortable and happy.

Kaidy
Go to Top of Page

Sakkasie
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sakkasie's Homepage Send Sakkasie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the fact that even if I gain 20 pounds my socks will still fit me.
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good one Sakkasie!

Happy Knitting,

ana

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:41:59 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pam, try out the DPNs, too. It really is easy once the needles or arranged.

Sakkasie, LOL. so true.

I love sock knitting because it is the happiest thing next to baby sweaters; I also LOVE to wear them and to give them away. And, it doesn't hurt my hands like bigger projects ( a @$#% heavy yarn I'm knitting for a french market basket atm). Ouch OUch OUCH!

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  07:08:53 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their portability is great, since I seem to spend a lot of time waiting for others, and I attend a lot of High School concerts and theater productions. I have never made any of the fancy stitch socks--just your basic stockinette--but I always use beautiful yarn. I really love to see how the handpainted yarns knit up in simple stockinette. Socks are my mindless project that I can do while also paying attention to what's going on around me.

View my projects at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitloon/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by