Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Knitting with Touch Me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tlreed
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit tlreed's Homepage Send tlreed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi - I recently received some Touch Me in a swap. It arrived wound into balls and has already suffered considerable (extreme) worming. I want to knit Vintage Velvet from Scarf Style... but can I still knit with the wormed yarn? How will the finished felted garment come out. The very kind gal I swapped with is willing to "un-swap" but I wanted to get some more info before I did anything.

Thanks!
Tammy

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  11:41:00 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Confused here. I've always thought that worming occurs in the knitted fabric - not on a ball/skein. Do you mean the yarn seems damaged from being knitted with before? I did frog some of my Vintage Velvet when I made it. Had no problem reusing the yarn. Had very little worming with this yarn throughout the knitting process as well.

It's great yarn and the scarf turns out like butter! Don't think you'll have a problem, but waiting to hear what others have to say.

RoseM
p.s. what did you have to swap at your end - a first born[:00]? - that's pricey yarn! What color are you using -- I'm wanting to do one again -- for me this time.
Go to Top of Page

tlreed
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  12:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit tlreed's Homepage Send tlreed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rose - I've "talked" with the swapper and apparently the worming occured when she wound all the yarn into balls. It's a beautiful chocolate brown and I've been dying to make the Vintage Velvet scarf so I think I'm going to go for it since it seems that the worming resolves itself in the felting process but would still love to hear from other users.

Tammy
BTW - I swapped away some Malabrigo for it... yummy yarn but not too practical for So Cal!
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  1:07:12 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just knit it up and go for it! I'd take that kind of yarn anyway I could! LOL!

I can't understand why she re-wound it, did she frog something? It'll probably be okay. I understand worming as happening as you actually knit it up, "loops" appear between stitches in pattern etc. I'm not sure what she would mean by it worming while winding it. Maybe she just wasn't sure about the texture of chenille? This one especially is just gooey and buttery. (It's making me drool already!)

It's probably fine. And it felts about 10%, so knit on the size needles the pattern calls for makes it tight enough to avoid a lot of worming. Even if the yarn is mangled a bit in the process of her winding, it would probably be okay if it isn't bald.

Go for it and let us know how it comes out!

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  1:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But this yarn comes wound into balls. Odds are good you're dealing with yarn that's been frogged.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe