Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 SOS -- fastest way to wind skeins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  2:00:55 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aargh! What's the fastest, most efficient way to wind skeins by hand?

I ordered 8 skeins from Briggs & Little, assuming the stuff was sold in pull-skeins or balls. Bah! It's in loose skeins. Big skeins, at that.

My husband is gone M-F, and he's not keen on helping me wind yarn. No kids to draft for yarn duty. Nearest LYS is 50 miles away. I have a feeling I'm going to be winding these myself.

"You can be patriotic and still believe some things cost more than they're worth."

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  2:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a chair or your feet to hold the skeins.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  2:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd wind the first from around a box or chair, and start knitting that (if, as I'm assuming, the hurry is to get knitting). While you're working on that ball, go to the LYS or get online and buy a swift. Trust me - they're worth every penny, and this is why. When you're done winding the first one you'll see what I mean, if you don't know already!

A ballwinder would be a great addition, but it's not necessary.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  2:17:45 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't broken down and bought a swift/winder yet so I hand wind everything. I'll put the yarn around my legs or chair or sometimes leave it loose on my lap. I find it kind of relaxing (assuming I don't get it tangled). You can't use all 8 skeins simultaneously so just wind one or two to get started on your project and do the rest as you need them.

Check out my project pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzannehandicrafts/
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[!] Christmas is coming sooner than you think. Ask for a swift and ball winder. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  2:53:00 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cornelia Hamilton, who designs for Noro, never winds her yarn into ball. She told our class she puts the loop of yarn over her knee or over her shoulder and just knits away!

Alternatively, the quickest thing to do might be to just do ONE skein into a ball. At least you can start knitting right away. Do you have a lampshade you could use as a swift substitute? Or you can wind it off your knee. You probably don't want to do more than one ball using this technique anyways... Save the rest for later, or when you have a willing assistant in the house.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  2:55:00 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Suzanne I just spread my knees apart and put the skein on them and wind. I also find kinda relaxing. It is lovely mindless work, but I do agree wind as you need them or want something mindless to do.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had my ball winder for a year now, no swift, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I wind everything, even regular pull skeins, so I can stack the yarn. I also wind leftovers, since I don't like to leave messy piles of loose yarn lying around. Winding by hand was killing me, it took way too long and my wrists couldn't take it. The winder gets the job done in twenty seconds!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  3:46:16 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When winding by hand do it as my grandmother taught me -- over fingers. That way a) the ball will be soft, and b) you won't stretch the yarn.

Get the ball going, pass yarn over two or three fingers (whatever fits for you), turn, repeat. And always over fingers.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  4:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently had to wind some skeins of cascade. I just put the skeins over my slightly bent knees, rearranging the yarn slightly so that it flops nicely over my knees and started winding. I own a swift but sometimes it's just not worth pulling out for small jobs.

Read my blog, or buy my handdyed yarn and handmade stitchmarkers. Also destashing here.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  4:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMousling

I'd wind the first from around a box or chair, and start knitting that (if, as I'm assuming, the hurry is to get knitting). While you're working on that ball, go to the LYS or get online and buy a swift. Trust me - they're worth every penny, and this is why. When you're done winding the first one you'll see what I mean, if you don't know already!

That's what I'd do if I were you, and I'm not just saying that because I sell them

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

ikamouse
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile Send ikamouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One person I know uses a lampshade. It works well because it spins.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  6:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a swift last spring ( I think...it may have been last fall)
I wind on a noste
I used to use the cat tree to hold yarn and wind on a cardboard tube
but i love my noste.......
it is made of pink ivory wood......

that is one of my favorite woods....

vi

who has a ball winder but can not find it......

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

aggie epee
Warming Up

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  7:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit aggie epee's Homepage Send aggie epee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A long time ago I ran across this. May not be worth the trouble, but doesn't it look cool?

http://knitting.about.com/library/weekly/aa010603.htm

http://everwhelming.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  7:21:30 PM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hang the yarn around my neck like a necklace and wind by hand. It always seemed fast enough and whenever I just put it on my knees or a chair back I always end up with a big knotted mess.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  7:25:51 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem with putting it around your knees, the phone rings and the phone is in another room. You could do in yourself. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  9:33:01 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks y'all. I just now finished winding two of the skeins of the sport yarn and honestly, it wasn't as monstrous as I'd thought. It gave me something to do while watching TV. I sat on the bed and put the yarn around my feet. It took me almost 35 minutes to wind one skein.

This yarn is going to make some macho boot socks (Christmas presents for my sons). It's a natural/gray marl.

The reason I was dreading winding the skeins is because the only other time I've had to wind a skein, it was a super-soft alpaca-silk-cashmere fingering yarn. The yarn kept snarling on itself as I tried to wind it. I spent 3-4 hours winding that one skein.

"You can be patriotic and still believe some things cost more than they're worth."
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  10:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aggie I loved the link...as I was scrolling down I coulnd't see at 1st where she was go'in with it but it turned out rather cool.

Crystal
"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  03:38:13 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that same 35 minutes, I could have gotten out my swift and winder, set up, wound 10 balls, put it away, and had a snack.

Get the swift and winder.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  05:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a swift and winder about 6 months ago and wouldn't give it up for anything! It makes life so much easier!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  05:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aggie, Now I know what to do with my Oster machine. Wait, maybe I better go and check that the person didn't take it since mine looks just like the one on the website.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by