Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 ever caught knitting on the job?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  5:38:23 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take knit breaks when people go for their smoke breaks.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tarcher01
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  7:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit tarcher01's Homepage  Send tarcher01 a Yahoo! Message Send tarcher01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried to knit at work but I got my work done and my desk was clear and I needed someting to occupy my hands and my staff reported it to my boss. He was not happy. So now I took over much of "their" work and now find that I really don't need them, LOL. So one is transfering out of the department, LOL. I will stay busy learning her job, but I can tell you it will be more organized than she ever was. I found paperwork that were from Jan 2005 in the back room that were suppossed to be in their worker comp files. UGGHHH. Should have had her terminated. BUT since I had my work done I suppose I should have been doing hers,too? Then why do I need her? She should have thought about that don't you think? Be careful for what you report. It may come back and bite you in the behind. LMBO.

www.tarchers.blogger.com
www.body-soulcenter.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lonestarstateknitters/
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  9:03:01 PM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! When I checked back in, I never expected to see so many posts! How cool that some of you can knit at work and how silly some of you are denied. Hoping to read more about people's experiences.

Thanks to those who expressed support. I've decided I did absolutely nothing wrong and I won't feel apologetic over it. Especially since I hardly ever take breaks and try to be helpful to the extreme (I think I try to be like the Polish librarian that Sabrina talked about - in fact, I really enjoyed hearing about her partially since my paternal grandparents came from Poland). Besides, no-one else wants to take over the children's programing. And BTW, the reason I don't take breaks is because the director won't come out to relieve me.

But enough about me, I'd love to hear more about you and your experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Yarnmonsta
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  10:41:00 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnmonsta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My job includes a lot of waiting time, and I give some of the small projects (washcloths, dishrags, that fabulous Sally Melville hat from "The Purl Stitch") to my co-workers. Call it bribery, if you will, but it's very effective, as is baking blueberry cake or cookies. Nobody has ever objected -- I wonder why not...
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  08:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fnlah1@uaf.edu

I taught my 11 year old niece to knit and she loves it. However when she got caught knitting during silent reading time at school, she was put on "knitting restriction" by her teacher!
She can knit at school again, but not during work time.

At our school the kids can knit while the teacher reads out loud, as long as they listen, and during free time. One third grade teacher told me if the kids do their knitting for just a little bit after recess, they calm right down. I feel like going somewhere and knitting in public!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
or my shop
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always allow kids in my classroom to knit while if we are having a work day and they are caught up. I also knit while kids are testing, but I am usually knitting caps to send to soldiers who are former students, so no one complains.

I also always knit during meetings, but administration doesn't complain because it keeps me quiet!!

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  09:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work as a CNA Transport Aide. My job is transporting patients to their appointments, sometimes in our facility and sometimes to outside facilities/ offices. I can only knit during my lunch break. A couple of us used to knit during during our morning break until someone complained. I also can knit when I take a patient out for a procedure and I have to sit in the waiting area for them to be returned to recovery. (Someimes that can be an hour or more knitting time).

My only gripe is: why can someone sit and read a newspaper or book during down time, but I can't knit during the same time period? [**] Seems to me it's just as easy for me to put down my stuff as it is a newspaper/book.

=^..^= Debbie [meow] http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never been able to or would I knit while at work. Call me old-fashioned, but I have a hard time pulling out my needles while I am on the timeclock. I work as a critical care nurse and could count on my hands over the last 19 years how many times I have actually had the time to do something leisurely while working. Getting a 30 minute break to eat is difficult enough as it is. Even if I was caught up with "my" duties there are always things that need to be restocked or organized, etc. Besides, I have a feeling that our patients' families would probably not look to kindly on my knitting at the desk while their loved ones are critically ill next to me. My luck I would be caught in the middle of a long lace row right when the Code Blue alarm went off anyways.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  11:51:25 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheryli, I can see why knitting wouldn't work on your job. A critical care unit is not a place to knit, especially if you're a nurse.

When I was in school, I worked as a secretary on various surgical and medical floors in several different hospitals. Things could get pretty busy during the weekdays and the only time I knit was during breaks. But there was a lot of quiet time on weekends and on the 3-11 shift and only so much paper work to do. I was working on an inpatient psych unit when I first picked up knitting and crocheting seriously. I got much of my first sweater and a large afghan done while at work and while commuting on the train.

Nowadays, I teach college. Knitting during office hours is possible, but there are usually too many other distractions (like the fact that I'm running late and my paperwork isn't done). I've been known to knit during exams, and one day a week the evening supervisor and I sit and do handwork while She babysits the office.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  1:35:52 PM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a NICU RN in a large Washington, DC hospital years ago, I was lucky enough to work the graveyard shift. Knitting was the only way I was able to stay awake during the wee small hours, when I wasn't busy with my tiny charges! On the occasions I didn't bring knitting to do, I would begin to drift into a bottomless pit of exhaustion, and was "gone" for the rest of the shift. Coffee was no help - only knitting. But I certainly got a lot of my Christmas and birthday presents finished! And, even if I do say so myself, those babies got the best of care!

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

Rhonlynn
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile Send Rhonlynn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read this forum and decided to comment, knitting? I don't even have time to sit down and take a lunch, 8 hours on my feet, passing narcotics, and doing fingersticks, and treatments. I wish I could have time to knit or even cross stitch. I need a new job!

--Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:57:47 PM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rhonda,

That's why I work-to pay for the yarn! Why else would you subject yourself to long hours on your feet, lifting obese patients by yourself, cleaning vomit and feces, straightening out trainwrecks left by clueless residents, calming families while maintaining your composure with a full bladder, empty stomach and no respect from those who do not understand that your job is nothing like the way it portrayed on TV? No really......I love my job and would never think of giving it up. It is all worth it at the end of the day (except maybe the full bladder part). Knowing that I can make a difference in the day of a family holding vigil at the bedside of a loved one or explain what is really going on with care and treatment is worth it all. But maybe just once it would be great to pull out the yarn and needles. Calming for sure!

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fortunate in that when I'm not physically working (I'm a personal chef and I cook for a fraternity during the school year) I can be sitting and knitting. As long as lunch and dinner are served on time I can knit whenever I have free time. The guys certainly don't mind, even if they're not interested in my projects. Plus my LYS is a 5 min drive from my kitchen so I can pop in during my longer stretches of free time. Lovely!

Angela
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  11:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
granny was a psychiatric nurse and she was always knitting something. Not sure if she was knitting at work, but she always had several projects on the go at home.

My mother crocheted at work, but more importantly, at the court house when she transfered from welfare worker to child support enforcement. She made tons of snowflakes, doilies and more.

Me? I am currently still on the "rest" portion of my pregnancy. If I don't have the energy to do chores, I can sit and knit or crochet for hours. I just finished an afghan today that, even before all the threads were weaved in and the fringe put on, DD climbed into my lap, snuggled into it and was asleep in my arms. She's been waiting for it patiently since the first ch st. It will take me about an hour or two of weaving and fringing for it to be finished tomorrow, if she'll let me at it.

But, yes, when I did work and training, if I wasn't knitting, I was crocheting, or origami, or cross stitch, or embroidery. People kept on asking me what I was doing and I'd tell them.

My next project? A baby hat or three. Then I'll start working on Icarus again. Maybe. *sigh*

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  07:54:38 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I worked for THE BOSS FROM HELL, a Sr. VP. of Advertising.

But fortunately, our work was basically conducted in another building on site of the Corporate Offices.

Often we would have down time between the production of catalogs. Or very short days of shooting.

Then everyones needles came out-whether knitting, crocheting or needlpoint-and that included the guys.

One afternoon, I walked into a makeup room and found one of the Stylists working on a beautiful afghan. " I said, OMG, how beautiful! Could I hire you to make me one????"

It turned out that the afghan was my wedding present- she was busted by me coming in, so she just kept knitting, and said"I'll have to see if I can find the time".

KL
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  09:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irishmom, I know what you mean. I worked as a CNA on third shift for about a year. If I didn't have a crochet hook in my hand, it would have been hard not to drift off sometimes in the dark halls. I used to walk laps around the hall to stay awake sometimes. (about a mile a night to help with the weight loss)

I tried to learn knitting at that time also, but I just couldn't get it that well. We had plenty to keep us busy, but still had a good amount of down time when the patients were sleeping. I went on first shift after that, and the only knitting/crochet time was my lunch break time.

Namid, I would be surprised if granny was permitted to knit around psychiatric patients. At my hospital, if you are working in the psych building, you can't bring anything like that in. One person got in trouble for knitting near an unpredictable patient.

=^..^= Debbie [meow] http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ikelers_holler
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  11:35:41 AM  Show Profile Send ikelers_holler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great! I work at Wal-Mart and was in the accounting office with 3 other ladies. This was a tiny room locked away from the world with all the world's cash in it. One day the young lady I was with asked me if I could show her some crochet stitches and whipped out a skein of yarn and a hook. I showed her some things and she was off and crocheting and so happy. We were very engrossed in this and suddenly we heard keys turning the lock on the outer door (inner room had a monitor to see who was coming in thru the outer room-whatever!!!). We looked up in time to see the butt (large) of one of the big cheeses who we knew would not be impressed with what we were doing. Only having a second to react, we grabbed the trash can and stuffed the yarn in and pushed it way back under the counter. I grabbed a handful of bills and began counting and sorting like I was doing something important. She pulled out a file drawer and was flipping files. We knew if we even remotely looked at each other we would double over laughing. Fortunately he didn't need to discuss too much and left rather quickly and we just fell on the floor laughing harder than I can remember. Neither of us work in that dept any more but we still crack up from the fun of it. I knit on break now. Wish I could knit all day and get paid. ***sigh***

~nancy in NC~
Go to Top of Page

ikelers_holler
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send ikelers_holler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more note, we knew we were on camera the whole time, but never heard a word about it. Tee Hee!

~nancy in NC~
Go to Top of Page

bbliss67@msn.com
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile Send bbliss67@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always take my knitting to work and hang it in the lunch room. Then I feel I am not tied to the job and an end is in sight when I see my knitting. I knit at lunch, we aren't paid for lunch, and the manager always ask how it is going. In fact, I made her a purse for her birthday!
Go to Top of Page

Pete
Warming Up

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pete's Homepage Send Pete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great topic! Well, one of my jobs is knitting (and designing and pattern writing), but my other job is substitute teaching. I get to knit quite a bit when subbing. I usually take a simple project--usually socks--and it makes for a great conversation starter. One time in a sixth-grade class, as the students finished their assignment, one-by-one they came up to me. First, the ones who knit or crochet--I even let a couple of them work on projects I had with me with one of them doing Magic Loop!--and then others. They loved it! We had a little knitting group going.

I loved reading all the posts on this topic, but of course, the ones about school (and meetings) perked me up the most. It is so true that knitting can help you pay better attention. It's like doodling/drawing. I also know people who listen better in class and at meetings if they can doodle. When I used to teach full-time, I learned that it was okay to let a student draw or doodle while I lectured. You assume they are bored or just not paying attention, but that's not necessarily so. Just like knitting. People assume that if you are knitting at a meeting or in class, that it's disrespectful. I say it relaxes you and focuses you so that you can listen better!

One last little observation. One high school where I substitute has a few girls who whip out their knitting during down time or silent reading time, and it's just generally accepted. Isn't that great? If only all schools were like that!

I say, if you can, bring out the knitting. The more people see us doing this in all kinds of different environments, the better for promoting the craft and educating people.

www.figheadh.com
http://figknits.blogspot.com
Why ain't I knittin'?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth