Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Am I the only one who uses straight needles?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TripletMama
Chatty Knitter

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit TripletMama's Homepage Send TripletMama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL. I know I'm not really the only one, but it's just that everywhere I go, everyone I meet, local yarn stores, etc - EVERYWHERE everyone uses circulars and give me a hard time for using straight needles! I guess I need to bite the bullet and just buy some circulars and give them a shot - it's just that I've always used straights, from the very get go and I'm used to them and don't see what the fuss is all about. Before circulars, everyone knitted on straight needles. Are circulars really that much better?! :)

Melanie,

Busy mom of 5 addicted to knitting. It's my therapy, it's what keeps me sane!

My Blog: www.mariahmichelle.blogspot.com

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sometimes will still use straights when I'm knitting lace. They move faster without having to deal with a join.

Overall though, I like working on circulars because there is less weight on my wrists.

I wouldn't pick on you for using straights though. Each person should knit with the needles that are most comfortable for them.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

conniec
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile Send conniec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I find that circulars are much easier on my hands - especially for larger projects. Plus, they're easier to tote around then straights.

You should give them a try!

-connie
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:39:07 AM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Actually I prefer straights when possible. They're the classic knitting tool and more aesthetically pleasing than circulars. But I'm prone to repetitive stress injuries and I do find that circulars put less stress on my hands, so I use circulars most of the time.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:56:44 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find circs to be waaaaay more comfortable to use, which translates to quicker knitting. They are much easier to store. Plus your project is less likely to slide off the needle when you are not working on it - just push it to the middle of cable. As mentioned before, circs are more convenient to deal with when travelling. And you can knit in relatively tight quarters, unlike straights, which may repeatedly poke whatever is around you.
By all means, give them a try, but if straights contribute to the pleasure of knitting in a significant way, then stick to straights and have fun. JMHO

One more thing. Cost is a big factor for me, so I won't want to spend a lot of money for a lot of different needles. With circs, I can do both flat and in-the-round knitting (both small and large diameter). Using magic loop method, I don't need many circs either, just a few with long cable.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally prefer straight needles and only use circular for afghans or shawls that have a lot of stitches or baby cardigans that are knit seamlessly to the armhole. I don't understand why anyone would prefer circulars for flat pieces such as sweater parts or scarves. For socks I use dpns which are a form of straight needles.

Contrary to others, I find that circular needles are harder on my hands since there is so little to hold onto and I really dislike the cable no matter what brand I use.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with GFTC--circulars are harder on my hands and the joins annoy me to no end. I've heard every argument about how great circs are, and all I can say at this point is "says you!" They hurt me, so forget 'em. That's all that matters.

As with most things, it's best to remember that someone else's opinion shouldn't force your decisions on anything. Just because something works for your friend doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Read poetry, silly: http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

GJohnson39
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  1:17:50 PM  Show Profile Send GJohnson39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with GTFC also. I knit holding the left needle still against my body, and I find I have less problems with my wrists. I find my tension is better and more consistent than when I knit with circulars. I only use DPNs for socks AND hats as I like having more to hold onto and it is easier to keep track of my rows.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I grew up using straight needles; I do have a couple of cirulars which I hardly ever use,and have been thinking of trying them out again some time.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, I think circulars are easier on my hands. However, I plan to try some straights in either wood or bamboo and see how I like them. I will say I am faster (just a tiny bit) on straights.

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  2:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have alot of straights but I have used any of them in a very long time. I prefer the circulars, how they feel in the hands and the wt is easier on the hands.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

elaineinplane
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile Send elaineinplane a Private Message  Reply with Quote

i prefer circulars bc i knit when im on the plane (especially so much better if u got the middle seat), bus or any public places. i didnt wanna poke anyones eyes!! but i do like the straights bc they look classic..especially ones made of wood. but if u prefer straights, i wouldnt pick on u...thats ur own personal choice.
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen-NYC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  5:22:16 PM  Show Profile Send Kathleen-NYC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sometimes use straights at home. When I'm away from home, I usually take the circulars - they don't take up much room to carry and I'm not poking the person sitting next to me on the train or bus when I take out my knitting.

Plus - if I drop my needle, no problem.

I think the circs are much more comfortable to knit with.
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  5:58:39 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone - I prefer straights too. I have a number of circulars and I use them mainly as knitted piece holders. When knitting my toys I do piece-work - I do a whole lot of bodies, then for those that don't have separate heads, I knit the head next for each toy. I do the same with feet, legs, arms, hands etc. Eventually of course I'm stuck with the sewing-up[:-P] but it does save time.(believe it or not!) Circulars are great though while travelling and are definitely bend-proof in one's bag! Happy Knitting -Lucylocket
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  6:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

I totally prefer straight needles and only use circular for afghans or shawls that have a lot of stitches or baby cardigans that are knit seamlessly to the armhole. I don't understand why anyone would prefer circulars for flat pieces such as sweater parts or scarves. For socks I use dpns which are a form of straight needles.

Contrary to others, I find that circular needles are harder on my hands since there is so little to hold onto and I really dislike the cable no matter what brand I use.

This is how I am too. I'm in the minority at Sn'B but I don't care. I almost always use bamboo or wood too.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaM
Chatty Knitter

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  6:42:54 PM  Show Profile Send LisaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Susan--there's something more aesthetically pleasing for me about using straights. I feel like I'm really knitting when I use them.

I do use circulars too though. They're handy when there's lots of stitches, or when you're knitting something really heavy.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  7:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use straights when lace knitting a rectangular shawl. Otherwise, I use my circs, or the interchangeable needles with the flexible cords as straights.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  7:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a pair of straight metal size 4 needles after using only cirs. or dpns for quite a while, and they feel so heavy. I don't have 4's in circs., though. I'm sure I'll get used to them again. Right about when I'm done with what I'm knitting on them. hahaha

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
or my shop
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  7:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use straights when lace knitting a rectangular shawl. Otherwise, I use my circs, or the interchangeable needles with the flexible cords as straights.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mokihana
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  8:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mokihana's Homepage Send Mokihana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use both. DPN's for socks, if that counts... straights for certain projects like flat knitting. I only use circs for large projects...

Aloha,

Mokihana
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  9:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto what Mokihana said. I use both... and if its flat knitting, I usually go for straights first, unless it's a large project (sweater, etc.)... then I'll go for circs.

========================
Ruth's Knitterly Things
Ruth's FO Gallery
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth