Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 NEW Blue Sky Alpacas Dpn's Arrived Today!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Indywoman
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  12:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Indywoman's Homepage Send Indywoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!

My new Blue Sky Alpacas Dpn's arrived in the mail today!

They are really neat. Distributed by Blue Sky Alpacas and made in India. They are 5" long and made out of lal khola wood. OH, but I can't forget the bestest thing..... they come in the cutest TIN.[meow][meow]

If you haven't seen them, you must go to my blog and see my pictures of them. I have all the information at my blog as well.

I thought it would just be a cool way to start Socktoberfest off with some new needles.

I would love to hear if anyone else have tryed these needles and what they think about them.

[IMG]http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/knitsmile.gif[/IMG]Patty the Indywoman

"Fairy tales are true....not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

To read or not to read...that is the question! Stitches In Pink

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  5:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have them, haven't used them yet, but do love the tin andthey feel soo smooth. I think I need more .
sherry

www.xanga.com/bears2share
Go to Top of Page

knitnurse81
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  9:40:54 PM  Show Profile Send knitnurse81 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try them before you buy more. The points on mine splintered the first time I used them and my yarn kept snagging. The store I bought them from replaced them and I'm having the same problem with the second set. I don't think I'm willing to try a third set-they are just too pricey to be having all this trouble.

"I can resist everything except temptation"- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  07:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a pair of dpns (different brand, same wood) and they splintered right away too. It's a shame because I really love the tin that the Blue Sky needles come in- I was wondering if these were splintery as well (too bad).

http://frottez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

freecia
Chatty Knitter

195 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile Send freecia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm staying away from lal khola wood for now. The LYS used to sell needles from lal khola and even the #8's would snap.

Instead, I might go with Lantern Moon dpns or Crystal Palace. A fellow knit group member managed to snap a Lantern Moon dpn but it was a thin sock size. I have a pair of Crystal Palace #3 dpns and found them to be fine.
Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  06:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Crystal Palace dpns- I've never broken one, even size 1's.

Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw them at my LYS but I just cannot justify spending $28 for a set of DPNs in a pretty tin. The much less expensive Crystal Palace seems just as nice even though they don't have a pretty little storage tin. Really, what's the advantage to the LM vs. the CP? What justifies that price? I'm serious. Convince me why the LM are that good and maybe I'll be tempted to try them.
Go to Top of Page

knitnurse81
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  2:40:31 PM  Show Profile Send knitnurse81 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed Blue Sky Alpacas to let them know about the problems I was having with their needles. I received an email back that said that their needles were only meant to last for 3-5 projects depending on the size of the project. Was anyone else aware of this? I sure wasn't.

Go to Top of Page

yarnfanatic
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  02:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnfanatic's Homepage Send yarnfanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitnurse,
thanks for posting that. goodness.. NOT worth the tin... I have been taking mittens to gloves series at one of my lys, and the needles she has(dpn, 5" )are great and not expensive,but definitelynot cheaply made. Chiagu's,
sherry

www.xanga.com/bears2share
Go to Top of Page

ElaineKnits
New Pal

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  11:39:30 PM  Show Profile Send ElaineKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I haven't used the Blue Sky Alpaca needles, I was seriously sad after buying a full set of the same wood, different brand, and each set of 5 was separately packaged fairly snugly in packaging, so the needles rattling in the tin is NOT the culprit here. They look great, initially, but as reported, on the first sock, splintering quickly developed on the tips of two of the needles. I was seriously unable to file them down,without further splintering, even with 0000 steel wool. I resorted to doing the best I could and then sealing with clear polish. I won't be using those needles again. Disposable needles? Not at that price!

As an alternative, recently I purchased what is a new brand for me, Profi, mfg in Germany, which is a very strong, but with flex, bamboo needle. Comes in the DPNs, both lengths, as well as various sizes of circulars. I am very well pleased with these bamboos. MUCH more than Clover DPN's (which I detest) and even more than Addi bamboo DPN's, which I do like. I think these are better. I hope to see a review of them soon, and wonder how long until they are widely available here in the US. They're made (or commissioned to be made) by the same company that manufactures Trekking and Unikat yarns.

I'm so glad I didn't pay more for the cute tin... but even so, I paid about $22 for the sets I got, so I still got ripped. I can't even give them to a new knitter to learn on... they'd be turned off on DPN's, and maybe knitting, forever!

Elaine
Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  03:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's rattling in the tin that's the problem either- my other Surina wood needles splintered on the first project- and they didn't rattle in anything. I think that particular wood is just not so great for knitting needles. It's a shame they cost so much (the Surina needles I bought were very inexpensive, so I don't get it) or I'd buy a set just for the tin. Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

Rinn
Chatty Knitter

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  07:19:58 AM  Show Profile Send Rinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I first saw these needles a few days ago on the Purl site. I fell in love with the brightly colored tins. I made a mental note to myself to look into them. After reading Clara's newsletter this morning with her review of them, I am glad I waited. They don't sound like a good investment, even if you can find plenty of uses for that gorgeous packaging! I find it hard to believe that they intended them to only have a use of 3-5 times! That's a bit crazy.

I've tried dpns by Crystal Palace, Clover and now Swallow Caseins. For bamboo, I prefer the CPs over the Clovers. They just have a different feel to them. The Swallows are too new to comment on, but they are interesting because they flex quite a bit.

Rinn

I have a blog, but it's not about knitting.
www.rickandlynne.com/lynne
Go to Top of Page

andrade@az.com

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  10:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit andrade@az.com's Homepage Send andrade@az.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't normally comment on the reviews here but when I read that Blue Sky claims a $28.50 pair of dpns should only be expected to last 3-5 projects... well, my mouth dropped open. Are they serious?! How can they say that with a straight face? I'm relieved that I read the review here and learned they aren't worth anything, though the tin IS great. It sounds like they should drop the dpn line and sell just the tins in a set.

Blue Sky's attitude about their product leaves me with a negative impression of their company and yarn. Now whenever I see Blue Sky aplaca in a yarn shop I'm going to think about their disposable splintery ~$30 needles -- is that really going to make me feel good about buying their yarn?
Go to Top of Page

jmhoverson@earthlink.net

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile Send jmhoverson@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Knitters Review Members,

We were so excited to read Clara's review of the new Blue Sky Double Pointed Surina Needles last night. However, our excitement quickly changed to concern and confusion when we read the review. We have been selling Blue Sky products here at Purl and purlsoho.com since the day we opened 4 years ago. One of our favorite things about Blue Sky is that Linda, the owner of Blue Sky, and her employees, care deeply about their products and the knitters who use them. Linda has always been committed to quickly resolving any issues or problems that might arise with any of her products, no matter what. When we read in Clara's review that someone at Blue Sky had said that their new needles were only meant to last through 3 or 5 projects, we were deeply surprised, as this sounded to us completely out of character.

We called Linda first thing this morning to discuss the issue. She was very clear in telling us that these needles are meant to last a very long time, and that they were most definitely NOT meant to last for only 3-5 projects.

Linda did mention that in fact they have had some problems with the first round of needles, but she also told us that Blue Sky is committed to resolving these problems. So, if your needles splinter, please take them back and they will gladly be replaced.

Sincerely,
Joelle Hoverson & Jennifer Hoverson
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  2:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those of you who read my reviews regularly will know that I'm very hesitant to publish something negative about a product. I understand how much heart and soul goes into these items, I understand how hurtful unjustified negativity can be, how impactful it can be, and I also believe that there's far more value in seeking out and highlighting the positive in this industry.

But there are times when I also feel I'm doing you a disservice if I don't say something - and that's where this week's needle review came in. Mind you I absolutely adore the tins and would probably still spend $$$ just to get them. But it did concern me that a relatively recent pair of these needles would perform as it did. Yesterday I asked my editor if I was being too harsh and she shook her head, reminding me that we're talking about a pair of needles that made me bleed.

A bit on the fact checking. When I read one member's claim that Blue Sky told her these needles were only intented to last three to five projects depending on the size of the project, I couldn't believe it myself. She forwarded me a copy of the email. This was enough proof for me. I have no reason to believe that this person has an axe to grind against Blue Sky, is an employee of a competing vendor, or in any way falsified the email. Whether this is true or not, those were my assumptions. I also believed that if I emailed the company and asked "is this true?" they'd most likely reply no, of course not. Yet there's this email floating around that indicates that someone, at some point, thought it was true. So there we have it. I just needed to give a little more background on the review and its contents.

Do others have feedback on these needles? If you have several and they've performed beautifully, please don't feel intimidated about saying so here. The wider our net of feedback, the closer we'll get to a reasonable degree of truth.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

knitnurse81
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  6:00:41 PM  Show Profile Send knitnurse81 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am the member who received the email from Blue Sky that Clara is referring to. I kept the email that I received because I too was shocked that someone from the company would state that to a consumer. When Clara asked me to forward the email I was happy to do so, because like Clara I feel it is something any knitter has the right to know before purchasing a product.

Please let me state for the record- I have nothing against Blue Sky. I adore their yarns and will continue using them. I just won't buy the needles. I am not affiliated in any way shape or form with any other yarn company. I did not falsify the email I sent to Clara. Im sorry if this caused any conflict, but I feel the knitting public has a right to know what they are buying.

Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  12:51:42 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was important that the alert was sounded about the early iterations of these needles even though Blue Sky is willing to make restitution for problematic ones. Twenty eight dollars, cute tin aside, is a serious amount to pay for a set of needles. For me, needles are first and foremost a tool, not a collectible (unless advertised as such), and should perform the job for which they were intended reasonably well. Incidentally, I spent the same amount on a pair of Colonial circulars (on sale) to knit some slippery, single spun, silk laceweight because my other needles were not up to the task. There seem to be more "exotic" wood needles out there these days but maybe the humble bamboo still makes the most sense for affordable knitting with wood. That is, if knitting is the reason for getting needles.
Go to Top of Page

TheKnitist
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheKnitist's Homepage Send TheKnitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a pair of these needles in size #1 while on vacation in MN. It wasn't until I arrived home that I had the chance to try them out. I too got a splinter at the tip of one of them while casting on for the first time!

I hadn't yet seen the reviews here on these needles when I decided to send off an email to BSA and let them know how disappointed I am with the quality of my new $28 needles.

I was surprised to receive a quick and friendly reply:

"I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced with our double pointed needles. It is true that the needles are hand made and therefore more susceptible to flaws. However, I agree with you that you should have a high quality product. We have increased quality control on this item and would certainly be happy to replace the needles."

I'm glad to hear they have recognized a quality issue with these needles and I hope my replacements will not have the same problem. I will post again when I get a chance to use my new needles.

Happy knitting!

TheKnitist
http://www.theknitist.com/
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good news! Thanks for sharing that post.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  1:17:41 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you just want a cute tin, check these out:

http://tinyurl.com/ylfxay

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Ackery
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  1:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ackery's Homepage Send Ackery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just opened my set of BSA needles today and cast on for a swatch. By row three, one of the needles was not only splintering, but leaving pieces of wood in the knitting. LARGE pieces of wood. I am, needless to say, a little irritated (so much so that I googled the needles, found you all, registered, and posted this, which gives you an idea of what I mean by "little").

I bought the needles while I was out of town, so I can't really return them. Instead, I emailed Blue Sky, and considering everything I've read here, I'll be quite interested to hear their response.

Sigh. How I wish I'd found you all before I shelled out that money!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?