Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 "jibber"half hats from the 50's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the knitted half hat /ear cover tie under the chin cap ? Help please and thanks a bunch , KL

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  4:41:44 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't recall it at least not by that name. Is it like ear muffs? Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLN3320

Don't recall it at least not by that name. Is it like ear muffs? Take care. Beverley

Bev

Bev- Picture a 1/2 cap over the top of the head that tapers down to the tie strings. It was a big deal in the midwest. Not ear muffs per se. KL
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  5:03:53 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was a Bernat pattern, but might have been Jack Frost. I think my mother made one for me, which would put it into late 50's-early 60's.
I don't have access to my patterns, so that's the best I can do for you right now.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  5:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about the thing that looks like a rectangle with tapered/rounded ends when laid flat? I wore those growing up in the 50's and 60's (yup, in the midwest) but there were still lots of patterns in books in the 70's. I still have the book "Teach yourself to knit the Columbia-Minerva Way" and it has quite a few. There are pictures in the book "Museum of Kitschy Stitches". It really was a sensible head covering for girls...most hats I've worn since were for style, not warmth.
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  5:34:04 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a free pdf download here --
http://www.glamarama.net/knitting
Scroll down to 1961 Hats.
Happy knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KL Does it look like you start at on one side with about 3 sts and keep increasing till a certain number of sts and then start to decrease? If so it is a Bernat pattern. It is from Bernat handicrafter, college issue Book No. 34 style no 3530. My mom kept all her knitting books and I have kept them. You could wear this hat as an ear warmer tied under your chin or as a hat tied in the back of your head. Sue
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  06:26:39 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all- I'm trying to do this while in Minnesota for the weekend- I'll try the PDF and see if I can pull it up- I've also printed Sues version. KL
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:19:22 AM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember them very well. They were really practical in our midwestern winters. The most desirable ones were made of angora. Unfortunately, I don't have a pattern.

I kind of wish they had not gone out of style because I've always had a problem with hats slipping up on my head and exposing my ears which are very sensitive to the cold after all the times I walked around Chicago in subzero weather with nothing covering my ears because that would have been sooo unfashionable.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  08:36:28 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I remember those too, midwest wear, and the warmest were the angora ones. I had a pink one, but honestly, I hated that tie under the chin. It wasn't very comfortable, but the ears did stay warm. Nice memory, I'd completely forgotten about these - whatever they were called......
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  10:19:09 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My book just calls them 'earwarmers'.
Go to Top of Page

baxterknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit baxterknits's Homepage Send baxterknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that brings back memories (Midwestern again). One of those little things was the first item I ever knit, with a cable no less. I was home from school, sick in bed with measles or somthing, and my Mom coached me through it. Then I didnt take up knitting needles again for about 25 years...

Cindy G
http://baxterknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  6:47:41 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No wonder I don't recall them. In San Francisco we don't have the same winters as they have in the mid-West. I shall keep an eye out for them though as I have lots of old patterns. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  8:11:44 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep-angora, or trimmed in angora they were. KL
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  03:29:49 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember them well and am sure I have a pattern somewhere (the archives).
Years ago I bought a stack of 'McCalls Needlework and Crafts' from the 50's into the 60's, it's in one of those. I think maybe less wide than the one pictured above.

Great classics. Anyone interested in that one?

I'd be happy to dig...

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

mmdm
Chatty Knitter

171 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  04:42:22 AM  Show Profile Send mmdm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I wasn't born then so I don't remember them but from what you are describing, it sounds like this free pattern I bookmarked a while back -

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=86&d_id=10&lang=us

Is that the kind of thing? I'm thinking of making one because even though I live in the south, my ears are very sensitive to the cold and I get earaches easily. This pattern was "unvented" quite a while back over at Crafter and lots of people made them, but since then Garnstudio has released the actual pattern as a freebie.

Melisa
http://virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake
Go to Top of Page

Janknit
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  05:43:17 AM  Show Profile Send Janknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melisa,

I think that is the "Panta" pattern that's been all the craze on Craftster. I made one last year for my daughter. It's really cute.

Janet
Go to Top of Page

MarieSM
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  07:13:53 AM  Show Profile Send MarieSM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an angora one, with fake mink heads attached to the ties
Go to Top of Page

Bernadette
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile Send Bernadette a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KL,

Here is a photo of a hat that I found in an older Bernat Handicrafter Knitting book that I own. The book is No. 34, dated 1953, and is simply titled "College Issue."

Please let me know if I can help you!

Bernadette

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/samsdaughter/hat.jpg
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  07:31:39 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bernadette- It is kinda sorta, but not exact- it should not be pillbox-shaped. I appreciate the effort tho.

Unfortunately, I don't have PDF so I can't pull up the previous posters suggestion.

WE were talking about them at my Gal-Pal Lakeside reunion this weekend, and some wanted to make them for Grandkids. It would be fun to see them again. Sigh- Memories. KL
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little digression, did you see the baby soakers in "Rather be Knitting"'s link? What a hoot.

Growing up in Wisc and Minn I remember those ear warmers. I didn't like the tie under my chin but they were nice and warm.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?