Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Am I the only guy who ... ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

5needlesmatt
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  5:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit 5needlesmatt's Homepage Send 5needlesmatt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something that's been nagging me lately is that I seem to be the only guy in many of the activities I participate in. On Saturday, I attended the first session of a knitting class, and of course I was the only man there, as I am always the only man in the yarn shop not tagging along with a woman. I work as a special education assistant, and of the six staff in the classroom in which I work, I'm the only man. I'm also only one of two male assistants in the whole building. I regularly find myself as either the only man or one of two men at church discussion groups and things. Is something wrong with me? I value having male friends, but I just don't encounter them in the events I tend to go to. Is there something wrong with me, or with the male gender in U.S. culture?

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  5:54:59 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of the above. You just have to be in a situation where you are the only one. There are many male teachers and assistants. There are an amazing number of male knitters but not many of them attend classes just as most female knitters are not taking classes. Churches are also full of men. My son-in-law spends all day Sunday and at least 2 other days in church related activities. He is also a musician and a martial artist.

Be true to yourself and you will be okay.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maldacht
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  05:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit maldacht's Homepage  Send maldacht a Yahoo! Message Send maldacht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a knitter, a librarian, father and I am active in my church and yes there are not a lot of men in my activities but there are a some. I always view it as a plus at larger meetings - No lines for the mens room!

-
MY BLOG Link

Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  09:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the other straight men are sitting around wondering how to meet women, or if they have a lady already, are wondering how to understand them. You, on the other hand, know how to both meet and talk to, and maybe even understand, the "fairer sex."

My husband knits, and sometimes comes to our Stitch'n'bee-hotch, where he's one of only two men. The other guy is there nearly every week and is pretty much doted on by all us gals. On the other hand, I'm in the worship team at our church, where for years I was the only woman.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

KatieKnits99
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  8:31:00 PM  Show Profile Send KatieKnits99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's wonderful that you are open to doing things that you love. They just happen to involve more women than men. I am teaching a friend to knit and he asked me to teach him in private so he can develop his skill before coming to our knitting guild. It might me that "I want to look success at what I'm doing thing" and most guys (that I know anyway) don't want to look like they don't know what they're doing.

I applaud you! Don't worry what other people think....just do what you love and love what you do.

KatieKnits99
"The reward of labor is life!"
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  8:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am one of two women in my taekwondo class (she just started coming). I am the oldest person, too. I am the only foreigner, of course. Yesterday I was in a gym with at least 400 people, but closer to 500 and I was the single foreigner there.

It was weird at first. I'm getting used to it.

You'll get used to it, too.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

booklover1971
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  12:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit booklover1971's Homepage Send booklover1971 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like you're a man who appreciates a different kind of activity and company than the "typical" man in America. That's okay! Be true to yourself!
Go to Top of Page

gallant_duck
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  12:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit gallant_duck's Homepage Send gallant_duck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect it's as much to do with the things you're interested in as it is cultural gender sequencing in the States. A lot of men, as well as a lot of women, find it hard to allow people to escape the constructs of 'given' gender roles. Actually, not just the States, anywhere. Over here it's pretty rare to see men getting involved in knitting circles, and yet two men (Chris and Gerard) have had I Knit London going for yonks and recently opened up a shop in Vauxhall (south London). And they're brilliant.

Sadly, a lot of organic creative stuff -- i.e. craft without hammers -- gets chucked in the soppy female camp. It's taken years of reclaiming the notion that our sort of creativity is productive, useful and empowering for women, let alone trying to introduce the idea to a largely patriarchal social network.

I do think it's worth remembering that knitting is only fairly recently a 'woman's hobby'. In 16th C France, knitting guilds were men only. Knitting spread across Europe via (male) sailors and soldiers during the Crusades. Only after the Industrial Revolution sent men into the factories did knitting get shut inside and become domesticated. Really, you're just one part in a long line of masculine activity. The fact you have to question yourself for being so speaks volumes about how much our society has evolved, but also where it's going. Roll over Mrs Beeton.

emmms

http://erqsome.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  3:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with you.....but maybe god is telling you to marry one of those women....assuming that is the side of the river you like to dance on!

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5needlesmatt
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  5:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit 5needlesmatt's Homepage Send 5needlesmatt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reassurance and advice, everybody. To the most recent post, I have to reply that I am very happily married, and my wife and I are involved in a number of the activities I mentioned (church, knitting) together. She's very supportive and never tells me I need to live up to all the machismo b.s. we see on TV and so forth.
Go to Top of Page

LoneKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  2:05:43 PM  Show Profile Send LoneKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DARN - The good ones are always taken! HA HA HA HA Don't let the people around you determine the person you are supposed to be. Do what you want to do - life is too short to deny yourself happiness!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  8:57:38 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're working on the coming generation - my 5th grade boy and his (male) friend are going to try the knitting club tomorrow. They both already know how.
Go to Top of Page

5needlesmatt
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit 5needlesmatt's Homepage Send 5needlesmatt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's awesome that you got your son knitting! Should my wife and I have a son some day, I hope he'll pick it up, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  07:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a similar situation when I was in art school in the 90's. I took some classes on how to draw comic book style, and I was literally the only woman, or one of two women, in every class! [:00]

My sassy knitting blog is here: http://www.rubyplaid.com
Go to Top of Page

aranworld
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  08:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit aranworld's Homepage Send aranworld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the sole exception of a short-lived part-time job in college, all my bosses have been women. I spend most of my time with my girlfriend and her friends, and I am generally happiest in the company of women.

The only problem with hanging out with women, is that they are rarely interested in playing video games. If there was a "stitch 'n beach 'n video game" group, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

http://knitting.aranworld.com/
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  3:56:31 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's not very unusual to be around women for the majority of the day. I am the only guy where I work, and the only guy at my knitting group.
Go to Top of Page

dad_who_spins
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  08:50:30 AM  Show Profile Send dad_who_spins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 5needlesmatt,

I, too, am frequently the only male or one of a few males involved in the activities or pursuits which I enjoy. Iím happily married, too, and my wife and I both enjoy the fiber arts. Although you and I donít follow mainstream American male pursuits, it doesnít mean that there is anything wrong with you, me or the male gender in U.S. culture. The ďnormĒ is the norm and will always be determined by society. I recognized long ago that being different from ďthe normĒ comes with benefits as well as costs. With that realization, Iíve chosen to go my own way because thatís ultimately what makes me the happiest and most productive person I can be.

Lucky for me Iíve always found it easier to establish and maintain friendships with women than with other guys. Iím a ponderer, dreamer, and talker, and I find most women more willing than men to listen, discuss, and reflect on various topics that are consistent with my interests. I donít follow the outcomes of professional sports, have no fascination with hunting, fishing or golf, view cars as merely transportation, and only enjoy the use of power tools for creative purposes. After you eliminate these popular male conversational topics, you are left with things like religion and politics (potentially controversial) or career and work (competitive or boring). This pretty much limits my participation in small talk and conversation starters with other men. However, Iím okay with that and I guess since Iíve not had many close friendships with other guys, I donít know what Iím missing. Like another responder to your post, I take solace in the benefit of shorter restroom lines at fiber arts events.

dad_who_spins
Addicted to Spinning
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  09:59:50 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another spin to Men who really like the company of women, is my Tom.

Yes he is a "Motor Head",[collects and rebuilds classic cars], knows his way around the tool box , can build anything,likes to play golf, is a great creative cook,and makes guy friends easily.

That being said- He is totally fascinated with the comeraderie of women, loves to tune in on their conversations as a listener, is awed by their collective talents, thinks that they have a strength that Men can't comprehend, gives them great respect at all ages, and basically thinks that most men would revert to being cavepersons if it were not for women.

I have tried to tell him that I think he would really make a great knitter, as he is so creative in general; but he seems to draw the line at that point.[:00]

I'll keep trying. Maybe when he can't see his way around the garage; I can convince him to pick up the needles.

Male knitters ROCK!KL
Go to Top of Page

Elisjay
New Pal

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  08:12:46 AM  Show Profile Send Elisjay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just go out and do your own thing. As long as you are happy with your lifestyle don't worry about others. There are men out there who knit, sew and various other hobbies that seem to collect more females but there again there are women taking up engineering, wood work and all sorts of manly type jobs. Go out and enjoy it there must be some who are quite jealous of your talents.
Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  04:25:57 AM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been knitting and sewing for 30 years as a result of having small kids and a wife who could do neither. My biggest "gripe" is being talked down to by ladies who run sewing and yarn shops. If I had 5 cents for every time I've heard "What does your wife want you to get?" I'd be rich.

I stayed away from knitting clubs because I always went without the wife (lack of interest on her part) and found myself the center of a little too much attention. I like meeting people and sharing knowledge but I just get a bit sick of the same things happening over and over.

Back in the early 80's I was part of an Australia-wide Male Knitters Club but with 1,000's of miles between members we never met up and the group eventually folded. This did make me aware of how many male knitters there are, even in a country that frowns upon such things.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  1:10:24 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son is 17 and knits. He learned in middle school, along with a group of friends, both male and female. Back then, they all came to the Sit & Knit Nite at the LYS, but high school and all its busyness made them quit coming. Lately, he and two of his (male) friends have been going to the LYS to knit every Tuesday after school. I think it's cool. He doesn't often come to me for help - he saves his questions for the LYSO.

He's very interested in music and drama, so I guess this is just another artistic outlet. Though the knitting sometimes raises eyebrows, it's usually MY generation (questioning his sexual orientation, I think) - HIS generation is okay with it.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.