Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 No knitting needles during Jury Selection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jennybensmom
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  05:26:25 AM  Show Profile Send jennybensmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was part of a random group chosen to appear for jury selection/duty yesterday. When I called to confirm their need for me, the prerecorded message said no knives, scissors, or knitting needles. I couldn't believe it- no needles, and so disappointed, Well, it wasn't so bad; we only had to stay about an hour since the court wasn't ready for us, was released to return after lunch with instructions to check back at noon by phone. We weren't needed afterall ... I guess the parties settled out of court.

Barbara

killearnan
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  06:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit killearnan's Homepage Send killearnan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discovered this past weekend that the National Portrait Gallery in DC doesn't allow knititng needles. I routinely have project in my purse and didn't even think about it being there (having been in and out of a couple other Smithsonian museums already that day). But they made me check my purse. [:((] And the guard wasn't even particularly nice about it......

What I found interesting is that I saw numerous people with various pens and pencils in the galleries -- and one man with a large pocketknife attached to his belt. I figure the chances are much higher that he could have done major damage than I would have been willing to take my project off the needles.

BJ
killearnan.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  07:44:31 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought you were going to complain that you couldn't bring your knitting while attending the actual jury selection process in the courtroom. That is understandable, I wouldn't let other forms of distraction there like reading the newpaper. What a shock to hear they aren't allowed in the building! Much as I prefer 2 circs (size 0 so no bamboo) when going to things like jury selection, tourist sites, airports, train and bus stations, and ferries, I always make sure my sock project is on bamboo dpns (with an extra or two incase of breakage), and that they are tucked into my purse if there is a screening process. I openly knit on the ferry, bus, train, plane, or building cafeteria) and have never been stopped. I admit I may be cheating and would try if I saw a sign that said no needles but I can't say my bamboo toothpicks are more dangerous than the pens, pda stylus, or other some other objects I see around me. If confronted I would give up just the needles, not the socks, and act dumb...dumb and apologetic.
Go to Top of Page

5needlesmatt
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  07:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit 5needlesmatt's Homepage Send 5needlesmatt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the FBI has begun to profile knitters as potential terrorists.
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good thing you weren't needed after all. I don't mind paying attention when something's going on, but to suffer through just waiting? It's too hard for me; I used to read during wait time, but now that I knit, I pick one or the other.

Come see me at my blog:cozy's place

Knitting addict since November '03

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  10:02:53 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, 5needle... They already do. I am on the no fly list. Was supposed to fly to Florida about a week ago but had to have a root canal and then got a sinus infection. To be honest, that was preferable to being on the no fly list. Tells you something doesn't it. Take care. Beverley [:00]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

bigeyeblue
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  2:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigeyeblue's Homepage Send bigeyeblue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The knitting needles in the court varies by the court. . . yet another reason we really are in such a false state of security . . . always worrying about the wrong things.

Eleni

http://www.holyknitbatman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  02:51:33 AM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind being without knitting needles or crochet hooks for one day. There are too many wacky people out there. I don't want them armed and dangerous when I have to be in a confined space with them.

You can't even trust your neighbors these days. Andrea Yates, another women here in my suburban area also killed her children. I'm beginning to think that to bring us to jury duty is a hazard.

Don't mean to be morbid, but you have to be observant.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  07:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't mind being without knitting needles or crochet hooks for one day.

Agreed. There are sometimes threads (not this one, and rarely on KR - usually places like the LJ knitting group) and how "OMG horrible being away from knitting for ten seconds OMG!!!111!!!" - that's a little worrying. If they said the same thing about, say, booze or cocaine, we'd all be seriously concerned! I say, bring a book, and don't worry about it. Sometimes we can't knit; that's OK.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  07:16:54 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work in a courtroom and I am a knitter. I bring my knitting through security every day. Usually, no problem. Occasionally, they will stop me and want to take my needles away. Usually, this occurs when there has been a problem in the building or their is a heightened level of security. I know it seems silly, but we have had major incidents in our building and people have been injured or killed during what seemed to be a simple court proceeding. I have had people want into the courtroom where I am working and I have been alone and they were acting really strange, threatening and scary. If they had any type of weapon or sharp object, it would have been even scarier. It is a drag when you have to give up your knitting, but it is usually for a good reason. The best bet would be to bring plastic needles or bamboo and put point protectors over them. That might help.

J.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?