Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 Now, What is IN your bag?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  4:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides your project, that is. I used to have a very bare-bones set of notions and tools in a pencil bag, until I got a real knitting bag to take everywhere. I figured I should do justice to it by packing everything:

1. Small notebook for shopping lists, wish lists, sketches, etc. I like Moleskine notebooks because they have a pocket in the back, and an elastic band to hold it all together. I have a business card-sized needle inventory in the pocket. Mine is quad-ruled, for charting lace or colorwork.

2. Variety of stitch markers, holders, coil-less pins.

3. Pen and highlighter

4. Post its

5. Yarn needles

6. Cable needle

7. Calculator

8. Needle/stitch gauge, tape measure, sewing gauge (ruler with slide marker thingy).

9. The Knitter's Companion

10. Extra needles for whatever projects are in the bag. For a long trip that might include yarn-buying, I'd pack my Denise kit as well.

11. Pattern(s) of whatever projects are in the bag - copied and in sheet protectors.

12. Current catalog or magazine, if I happen to have one, sometimes a book with projects I am thinking about.

13. Crochet hook

14. Selection of row counters

15. Selection of point protectors

16. Nail file

17. Small scissors and thread cutter

I think that's it! Doesn't seem like this much, all tucked neatly in the pockets!

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  4:57:10 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wowzeewowwow.

I'm a real stickler about keeping my knitting bag just for knitting. I think the only thing I ever put in it that wasn't knitting related was a tube of lipstick. I never want the bottom of my knitting bag to look like the bottom of my purse.

That said:

2 of my current projects
pattern
stitch counter
measuring tape
small antique crochet hook
extra yarn
business cards (ok...but they're somewhat knitting related)

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  5:01:47 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My purse is my de facto knitting bag and aside from the usual purse items I have a sock in progress.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  5:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow - what an organised person you are - I could never aspire to such orderliness!!I don't have a specific Knitting Bag that I take out with me - my knitting usually goes into a small bag with needles and very occasionally a pattern(I don't need patterns for a lot of my work as most of it is in my memory banks!!I carry a pair of fold-up scissors in my purse plus a very small selection of sewing-up needles(just in case I get the urge to sew [:00](doesn't happen too often)That's about it really - Happy Knitting - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  7:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever pair of socks I'm carrying around (socks are my default on-the-go project) moves between two bags.

90% of the time, it's in my "school" bag - a shoulder bag with an accordion file in it, with a pen and the legal pad for whatever class I have that day (and readings, etc).
That's it: file, pen, legal pad, two balls of yarn, the needles, and the half-knit socks *on* said needles. No wallet, no spare pens, no scissors, no chibi. I'm home more than often enough not to have to carry extra crap with me.

Occasionally I switch it to a smaller bag for ambulatory KIPing - typically then it's just yarn, needle, half-knit socks, and sometimes my wallet if I'm running errands or a water bottle if I'm headed to rehearsal.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  5:18:07 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can now add Knitters Hand Balm to my list! OI ordered it from www.abundantyarn.com and it arrived today.
I love it!!

Martha.

Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  6:36:23 PM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is also just the amount of yarn you are going to need. No extra balls to lug and no getting caught in a 2hr snorefest with an eye twitch

[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,knitting,white,blue.png[/img]
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  1:30:55 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knittingbaglady

I can now add Knitters Hand Balm to my list! OI ordered it from www.abundantyarn.com and it arrived today.
I love it!!

Martha.

Darn, Martha, I haven't even received my order for the last hand cream you recommended!!

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  2:36:12 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They do take some some but are well worth it. What scent did you order?

Now you can have TWO favorites like me! I find I use the shea butter cream at night, and this new one at different intervals throughout the day.

Martha.

Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  5:45:49 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 or 2 extra ball(s) of yarn
tape measure
scissors
yarn needle
sheet with my notes, stitch pattern, etc if applicable
pencil
hand lotion
Go to Top of Page

MabelEvelyn
New Pal

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  11:46:53 PM  Show Profile Send MabelEvelyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so dim it never occurred to me to take my actual knitting bag with me. I always take out the knitting and put it in some awful plastic bag or something. From now, my super knitting bag goes out with me. Thanks ladies for educating me - at last!

MabelEvelyn
Go to Top of Page

suzitu
New Pal

Georgia
1 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  04:33:55 AM  Show Profile Send suzitu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides all of the above, I also always have an extra tea bag or two in my knitting bag. =)
Go to Top of Page

kerenitha
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  05:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit kerenitha's Homepage Send kerenitha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a little makeup sized bag that I carry in my knitting bag, it has chapstick, small scissors, a calculator, chibi, a tape measure, nail clippers, stitch markers and a pen.

On the subject of lotion though, I use Aveda Hand Relief lotion. It's really great and lasts through several hand washings and isn't greasy. Plus it has a nice citrusy scent (lemony) that doesn't overpower you.

Oh and I always have a project (needles, yarn and pattern [if I haven't memorized it]).

visit the home of my new, improved blog:
http://kateyj.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  06:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the time, I carry my knitting in an assortment of baskets. The size of the project or projects determines which basket I carry. All of my baskets are handmade and about half of them are antique. My favorite is a small-ish antique gathering basket marked "Ethel" on the handle. I don't know who Ethel was or what she did with the basket when it was hers but I like to think she'd appreciate its use now.

In my basket I carry a small Tupperware box which came from the child's Tupperware lunch kit DD had as a small child. Inside it are assorted tapestry needles, a tape measure, assorted stitch and row markers (handmade by a friend who is a jeweler), "Red Sox" point protectors, a tiny slip-on-the-needle row counter/tape measure that was my mother's, tiny scissors, a small piece of sandpaper for fingernail AND wooden needle snags, cable needles, a couple of small stitch holders, a short ivory crochet hook that was DH's grandmother's and a pink guitar pick my youngest DS found one day and gave me because I like pink. No, I don't play guitar...lol!

Also in my basket is a tiny bait box DH recently found for me which holds Post-Its, a calculator, a needle inventory, business cards, a couple of wet wipes and a hang-around-the-neck yarn cutter.

I carry my current project, always a sock project, my favorite pink Dr. Grip pen, copies of the project recipes in clear protectors, a small zip lock bag with a couple of peppermints and Tootsie-Pops, a needle/stitch gauge, a small ball of super bulky yarn in bright colors (to teach finger knitting with...a very good distraction for a cranky child), an unsharpened pencil (to slip the unfinished finger knitting onto), a Yarn Yardage Table Knit-Kard, lip balm and a tube of Udderly Smooth udder cream which has become my favorite hand lotion. It leaves no residue on your knitting.

Sometimes I tuck in a book, magazine or yarn catalog, too. I don't carry a purse at all and my billfold with my license and bankcards goes in my pocket most of the time. Sometimes I just carry a sock project in a little felted bag I made that ties onto a beltloop. This is great for walking and knitting.

Geesh, on paper it looks like I'm loaded down like a pack mule!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

edithpiaf73
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  07:07:24 AM  Show Profile Send edithpiaf73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think about adding an address label to your knitting bag. Preferably in a conspicuous location. I almost lost mine one day. Fortunately the nurse in the doctor's office remembered who was knitting that day. Maybe just your phone number - anything that gets the knitting back to you if forgotten somewhere.
Ellie in Tacoma, WA
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  08:20:46 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knittingbaglady

They do take some some but are well worth it. What scent did you order?

Now you can have TWO favorites like me! I find I use the shea butter cream at night, and this new one at different intervals throughout the day.

Martha.

Actually, Martha, I ordered it unscented....

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

shawem@hotmail.co.uk
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:00:19 AM  Show Profile Send shawem@hotmail.co.uk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bag contains: tissues/notebook/pen(s)/ then the current WIP. If I am taking it outside the home to an appointment, it also contains my key/money/'phone/any papers relating to that appointment. Plus anything else I consider neccessary.
Enid
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:56:29 AM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello knitters,

Currently my knitting bag is just a cloth grocery bag, because the handles came off the cute bag I was using. In the near future I want to knit the felted tote from SNB, but I'm overloaded with projects right now

In my bag I keep a pair of folding scissors, a crochet hook for dropped stitches, and a small tin with some markers and safety pins. I don't like to carry around a lot of stuff so I just have what I think I might need in a pinch and leave everything else at home. Edith Piaf, that's a wonderful idea about putting your phone number in your bag and I'm going to do that right away. I'd rather lose my purse than my knitting bag!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

godsend
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  11:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit godsend's Homepage Send godsend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good thread.

I have three bags that I use regularly. I have two of the orange one skein on the go bags that I carry 1-3 balls of yarn in at any given time, a whole slew of different sized straights and a few circs and my clicker row counter, whatever pattern I'm using, an emory board, some stitch holders, some stitch markers, a tape measure, some small scissors, a couple darning needles, and a straight ruler. The big one is the purple artbin tote that I use to carry larger (or just more) projects and it has all of the above-only more needles, plus a book or two and/or a magazine.

Every now and again I will stick some knitting stuff in a regular purse too-the kind with the side compartments and a middle zipped section where I put the knitting stuff. Like when I go see a movie. Most times it's best for me to keep them separate though. I can't carry knit stuff in a regular purse all the time because I get back problems.

http://k1.knitblog.com

Go to Top of Page

suzanne@vetalaw.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  11:14:09 AM  Show Profile Send suzanne@vetalaw.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the KIP bags from KnitPicks, which I love. I used to carry a purse and a knitting bag, but with these bags, I just attach the purse organizer (which holds all the wallet stuff, phone, ipod, camera, lipstick, etc.) to whichever bag has the project I want to take along. The bags came with a small tool bag, which holds my tape measure, tapestry needles, crochet hook, scissors, needle sizer, pad of paper and pencil, and hand lotion. I transfer the tool bag to whichever bag I'm using, which holds the WIP, spare yarn, needles, and pattern. I did have to give up my wallet, which didn't fit in the purse organizer, but it hasn't really been a problem, since the organizer works as an oversized wallet, and I always have it with me.
Go to Top of Page

kbss@comcast.net
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  12:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kbss@comcast.net's Homepage Send kbss@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I love this topic. Thanks so much to the impatient knitter for creating the list of items for our knitting bags. i keeps almost everything noted in one pouch. that pouch sits in a basket near the couch where I knit in the evenings. i am creating another one for the basket near the chair (upstairs) where knit during the day when I am on working on the phone. I addition to all the great suggestions, I one that may not be original but is a lifesaver for me. I keep a project in my car and work on it only when I am out and about and forgot my traveling socks (which happens). That way i am never without something to do with my time. I can be found knitting at the doctors, in the bank, on line at Targetto, waiting for the valet to bring my car around (it's Los Angeles after all), waiting while my kids shop. It's more than a life-saver, it's a sanity savery.
Kathleen
knitting is my metaphor
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by