Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 Now, What is IN your bag?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

honeybee33
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  12:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit honeybee33's Homepage Send honeybee33 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooh, suzanne, I'm so jealous! maybe someone will heed my hints and get me a KIPer set for a holiday present.

I always have at least my mini-tools bag - lil plastic see-thru zippered case with just snips, retractable tape measure, and chibi - and my knitting knotebook - http://web.mac.com/honeybee33/iWeb/Site/KnitBlog/E4EBECA8-1060-432E-AB48-F34CB0A86B71.html for a blog-entry (sorry, can't figure out how to do a better link here!).

From there, according to the needs of the particular project, I'll add an additional, larger plastic see-thru zippered case with, as needed, stitch markers, stitch holders, crochet hook, cable needle, etc.

My "swatching kit" is a zippered CD case with the Plymouth interchangeable bamboo set, 16" circs size #0-4 (in the plastic CD holders - those sizes aren't included in the set), one of those metal gauge-measuring/needle-sizer tools, and my lil mini gauge/swatch knotebook - where I keep a list of all the yarns I've ever swatched with their gauges at every needle size at which I ever swatched them, as well as any particular stitch-patterns charted out with the appropriate gauges I got.

*whew*, I just realized how OCD I am! [:00]

~ hb33 ~

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee ..." ~ Emily Dickinson

knitblog @: http://web.mac.com/honeybee33/
Go to Top of Page

Terryknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  2:11:47 PM  Show Profile Send Terryknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit then felted a large knitting bag using Knit Picks wool of the Andes. The bag is burgundy with light blue, dark blue and orange flowers and green leaves knit using the Intarsia method. I topped it off by adding extra flowers I made from the yarn. I mitered the bottom so it will stand up. I then lined the bag creating various compartments for my “stuff”. It closes with a magnetic snap and has 2 handles. When I carry the bag around with my current project in public places, there is much interest in the bag from knitters and non-knitters alike. Let’s face it, I was a show off. I love the feedback and it was fun to create.
Go to Top of Page

Little Kitty
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  2:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Little Kitty's Homepage Send Little Kitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My "knitting bag" usually has to do double, sometimes triple, duty as knitting carrier, work purse and diaper bag.

For the knitting itself I use a large ziplock for the WIP, a copy of the pattern and a spare skein. I always take a sunglasses case (the hardsided kind) that contains 3 or 4 crochet hooks, a chibi, a tiny box of stitch markers, small scissors, a set of DPNs, 2 stitch holders, a pen and a row counter for circular needles.

Despite attempts to be more organized than this, I always end up with exactly those things in my bag. Sometimes I carry a reference book but usually only on long trips.

~~ Lynette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Gathering of Wool
Go to Top of Page

gottaknitit
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  2:34:15 PM  Show Profile Send gottaknitit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really lucked out and found this fantastic bag at a classy second hand store for under $20. It was originally from bath and body works, or so the label says. It has several pockets in the lining, including a zipper pocket. It has large sturdy handles and a hinged and snap closure with a leather bottom. It's large enough to hold an over sized yarn ball and my current large sweater I'm knitting. I put only the currently needed supplies in the pockets and a pad of paper and pencil/pen. If I keep the largest pocket empty except for my yarn and WIP, I can leave the yarn in and just pull it out as needed, knitting right out of the bag! I am so excited about this bag! I looked for years and couldn't find one with all the pockets and space I needed. I have knitting baskets at home for other projects and odds and ends.
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  3:18:40 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I carry a messenger bag in leiu of a proper purse, so I throw in my latest project or two. Then I throw in a little zipper bag (like a pencil bag) with
-measuring tape & sewing gauge
-Some scrap yarn
-folding scissors
-copy of pattern & pen & post-its
-stitch markers
-2 crochet hooks
-yarn needles.

It's totally transferrable!
Go to Top of Page

mommybird@verizon.net

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  7:01:53 PM  Show Profile Send mommybird@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sticks and String
a short ivory crochet hook that was DH's grandmother's
Jo

Jo, I'd like to know more about this crochet hook. We found something like this in my grandmother's knitting supplies just this week. You are welcome to email me outside of the forum.

Tammy in OR
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  7:14:51 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am ashamed to say that I have many knitting bags, but usually end up bunging everything into my handbag, which is pretty huge, knitting, needles, spare wool, pattern and tape measure.

I should set up my own knitting bag, but I feel like an idiot walking around with 2 huge bags, I feel like a bag lady.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  06:38:10 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Project with next ball of yarn.
Photocopy of pattern.
Tiny crochet hook for dropped stitches
Pen
Small Dovo scissors
Small 2" swatch holding large-eye needle and 1 coilless safety pin
Eclipse wintergreen gum
Aquaphillic lotion in tiny Clinique jar

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tammy...

I emailed you!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terryknits

I knit then felted a large knitting bag using Knit Picks wool of the Andes. The bag is burgundy with light blue, dark blue and orange flowers and green leaves knit using the Intarsia method. I topped it off by adding extra flowers I made from the yarn. I mitered the bottom so it will stand up. I then lined the bag creating various compartments for my “stuff”. It closes with a magnetic snap and has 2 handles. When I carry the bag around with my current project in public places, there is much interest in the bag from knitters and non-knitters alike. Let’s face it, I was a show off. I love the feedback and it was fun to create.

I need to see a picture of this bag... :D I love bags. Currently, in my "Purse", which also doubles as the knitting and diaper bag, only carries a ball of yarn and needles (granny's fav dishcloth pattern is memorized). The other bag, carries what ever project I bring to the park and lotion. I'm no where near as organized as the rest of you..

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the risk of sounding really ignorant, what is a chibi?
Thanks,
Robin
Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chibi is a brand of darning/yarn needles. They come in sets of three (different sizes) in an adorable plastic tube. I love them. :)

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  7:15:55 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have a small bag that I put inside my traveling knitting bag.
The small bag has all the extra neccessities.
Cable hook
Stitch holders
Stitch makers
The one that can be used when sewing pieces together as well
2 tapestry needles
tape measure
gauge measure
sticky pad
pen
extra pair of needles
-------
After I place that in my bag, I place patterns that I will soon be working on, along with whatever pattern I am currently working on. (Each on in sheet protectors)
Extra yarn for the project and of course the project itself. (The one that will be traveling tomorrow will be my Fair Isle set I am working on. I have one completed mitten. A second mitten 90% done and I will be starting the hat tomorrow.)
Once I finish the whole set, I am debating whether or not to try to design my own sweater with the Fair Isle pattern. Have the pattern around the neckline and on the wrists. Only thing is I have never designed a sweater before so I would have no idea about how to do this...
Scraffan
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  5:37:06 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may seem weird, and may just be a peeve of mine alone, but I hate having my hair in my way when I'm knitting, so I always have a couple of elastics or scrungies tucked in my knitting bags. Especially when the knitting hits a snag and I really feel like I want nothing in my field of vision to distract me, I can make a pony tail and bend my head over in full concentration without having my light blocked.

The elastics have come in handy as occasional point protectors, too.

Marie
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  3:50:32 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have my (one of my) current project(s) in the bag and often a book. I use public transit. There's always water, too. And a crochet hook.

Other than that, just one project of knitting. I don't drive so don't want to carry extra things.

Considering I received it at the library, sometimes it's also my library bag.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  10:20:01 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jennifer,
Thanks for telling me what at Chibi is. I was taking my yarn needle out of the cute little plastic tube and realized that I had a Chibi all along!
Robin C
Go to Top of Page

fiberqat@gmail.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  12:12:57 PM  Show Profile Send fiberqat@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have my "knitter's survival bag" with me at all times with my project in a fun school pencil bag.

Tape measure
Inox needle gauge (has both mms and US/UK sizes and is credit card size)
Size H crochet hook
Small box of markers
Chibi with needles
Fiskars child size scissors, round tip
Pen
Pad of paper

Over time it acquires additional items, like dp and circular needles, latex markers for row counting, a Peg-It, and lengths of yarn from stitching.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?