Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting and work.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  5:53:31 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am currently working as a data administrator in healthcare,and even though the work environment is pleasant and my colleagues are lovely people,it can become quite tedious at times.Most days I take some knitting to work, so that I can do a few rows during my breaks,and of course, I knit in the evenings,as well.I'm convinced that having a creative outlet like knitting helps me to cope better with my job,and stops me from becoming bored and restless.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie

Just 1 More Row
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  10:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Just 1 More Row's Homepage Send Just 1 More Row a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could work on my knitting at work. It would help to make the really s-l-o-w times go much quicker.

Laura in Idaho
Go to Top of Page

Tabby2002
Warming Up

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  12:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tabby2002's Homepage Send Tabby2002 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I'm working (currently I'm in school) I usually take some knitting or crocheting (depends what I'm working on at the time) to work on during breaks and at lunch. It does help to relax and you do get further along on your projects than if you were to leave them at home. Also, sometimes the computers go down for various reasons (I do data entry) and by having the knitting with me, it helps to pass the time until they come back up.

http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com
Come visit my blog sometime!

http://knittenmittens.blogspot.com Come check out my mitten KAL!
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  1:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit in meetings (I must attend several technical meetings each week and am not required to take notes - just be there in case) at work, and during breaks. I've also been known to knit while waiting for computer downloads and program updates!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit on occasion during my breaks.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  7:38:08 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit during my lunch break to de-stress - and I refer to it as my one hour vacation.

On the days that I can't knit, I feel out of sync and takes twice the effort to do my work.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  8:17:52 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work with coders and sometimes when they take a ping pong or walking break, or someone has a smoke, I'll knit.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hlj518@yahoo.com

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  9:05:18 PM  Show Profile Send hlj518@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a Real Estate Agent in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Part of the job is sitting at open houses for several hours on weekend afternoons. It's a way for new agents to meet prospective buyers. Because of the time that I'm sitting there waiting for someone to stop in, I always have knitting with me. Usually it's a smaller project - socks for my husband or felted flower pins. I find it a great conversation starter if a buyer does visit the open house and I'm not viewed as the pushy agent

Go to Top of Page

schnitzle
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  9:12:55 PM  Show Profile Send schnitzle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to be able to knit during my lunch hour; but my co-worker never leaves me alone! She will either talk to me the whole time (hard for me to pay attention to what I'm doing) or she'll bug me about going out somewhere or being a general pest.
I don't know what to do because if I tell her "No I think I'll knit during lunch instead" she'll just sit by me and chat chat chat.

Does anyone ever get negative comments from co-workers regarding knitting?

Knit happens!
Go to Top of Page

HBSigrid
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  9:41:59 PM  Show Profile Send HBSigrid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit at work. I teach nursing school and the politics can get a bit intense. When I say that I'm going into the lounge to knit, my co-workers know that it means that I need some calm alone time. The knitting gives me a little bubble of solitude even if others are talking. It has saved my sanity on many an emotional day.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  10:06:38 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schnitzle

I don't know what to do because if I tell her "No I think I'll knit during lunch instead" she'll just sit by me and chat chat chat.

Get an iPod or even a cheap AM radio and some headphones. Or better yet, go elsewhere. Maybe stronger langauge might help.

Instead of "No I think I'll knit during lunch instead" try:

"I need to be alone and am spending a quiet lunch today."

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  10:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work in a yarn shop. I know. Sorry. Don't hate me.

Actually, I don't get to knit as much as you would think. There are stocking jobs to do, cleaning jobs, preparing for classes, waiting on customers, etc. It was dead Monday, though, and I did knit for nearly 3 hours straight.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  10:15:10 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schnitzle
[
Does anyone ever get negative comments from co-workers regarding knitting?

Yea, I got this boss who is a bit passive-aggressive. He's not a bad guy but everything is "The BIG boss is upset that ....."

So "[The BIG boss] is afraid that [the BIGGER boss] will see that stuff and think you aren't working"

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

schnitzle
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  12:21:28 AM  Show Profile Send schnitzle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mokey, that sounds like it would work :D

FiddlerBird, that's exactly the kind of comments I've had in the past. People are so weird. It's ok to chat for hours but if you are productive in your downtime you're naughty ;)

Knit happens!
Go to Top of Page

TerriP
Chatty Knitter

124 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  03:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerriP's Homepage Send TerriP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a medical transcriptionist. I work on-site as well as off-site for a local hospital. When I am on-site I always try to have my knitting with me, although I try to bring smaller, simpler projects like socks for portability/time reasons. It restores my perspective and breaks up the stress of the day. When I work off-site (home), I still knit on my breaks. Also, I knit if there are computer problems and the system is down. Some people have given me a strange look here and there for knitting at work, but I am pretty sure I didn't like them anyway...
Go to Top of Page

maggie_g
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  03:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit maggie_g's Homepage Send maggie_g a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't knit at work (I'm a magazine editor), but I am just learning to knit (started in September) and knitting relieves daily stress like nothing else I've ever tried! The act of creating, the repetitiveness of it, the challenge as I learn new skills... I think it's all made me a better and more relaxed employee (and person) because it's given me new confidence, relaxed me, and gotten my creativity flowing again.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4370 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  04:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most people who know me understand that I'd be crazy as all get-out if I couldn't go home and knit. I knit almost every evening for a couple of hours, and on my days off for a few more.

I can't/don't knit at work (Lunch Hour? What's that?), but I always carry a project with me anyway, just in case. I can't seem to leave the house without that security knitting in my bag!

Knitting is just the best, isn't it?

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

annekl@aol.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  04:29:20 AM  Show Profile Send annekl@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a freelance writer -- grants, newsletters, my first novel (eek!) -- and I keep a knitting project close by my desk for those times I get stuck on something. When I find myself rewriting the same dang sentence five different ways or get lost in some footnotes, I pick up my knitting and knit a few rows. This almost always gets my brain unhinged from whatever tape loop it has gotten stuck on, and then I can write past my problem area. I used to ban all knitting from my work area, thinking it was a distraction, but I think it's actually helped me work better.

I also take knitting along with me when I know I'll be waiting some place -- car inspection line (which in DC can last hours), kids' sports stuff, PTA meetings, getting the gray hairs "done" at the hair place, etc. I almost always find other knitters, because they cruise by to check out what I am doing. It's a nice way to meet fellow knitters in the area
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  04:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take at least one knitting project with me where ever I go....I guess its the "Seize the moment" type of thing. That doesn't mean I always get to knit BUT if the opportunity presents itself, I'm all over it!

I agree its a great stress reliever, it kind of has the same effect as comfort food for me without the calories. Hey! Is there such thing as The Knitters Diet?
Go to Top of Page

RuthKnits
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  05:08:28 AM  Show Profile Send RuthKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try to knit on my lunch hour at work whenever I can. I carry a small project-socks, gloves, mitts in a zipped pencil case with a folded-up photocopy of the pattern. I often don't get a lunch hour, but knitting is my "oasis" is a wasteland of stress. Lately, I'm fantasizing about making knitting designing and marketing my new career. I know it's just a dream, but it helps me get through the hard times at work. (I also use lunch time knitting to help me eat less food, so yes, knittingbuzz, there is a Knitters Diet! Ruth
Go to Top of Page

KnitVanna
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  06:18:40 AM  Show Profile Send KnitVanna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always carry knitting with me, but my job would frown on knitting there. But, thinking about it and reading your comments above have inspired me to take a lunch and knit in my car, listening to knitting podcasts, of course!

'Any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right, or doing it better.' John Updike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?