Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When Needles Attack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  07:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only klutz ever to be injured by a knitting needle? I recently sat down on my couch and didn't realize my son moved my needles, pointy end up. When I sat, I felt like I just received a strep throat antibiotic shot. Fortunately, the needle was NOT injured nor was my unfinished hat. Oh and my bottom was just achy--it didn't break the skin. My DH kind of laughed when I told him and said I was probably the only person in the world who had been vaccinated by a knitting needle. Please tell I'm not.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

I am no longer a blog virgin. Visit my new blog!!!
http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  09:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a splinter from a brand-new ebony needle that just split while I was pushing the stitches around the needle. I didn't need a shot, though!

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi
no you are not alone
i am always sitting on my needles
i have a lot needle marks on my butt
sylvia
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  1:54:41 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't actually been stabbed by a knitting needle but many have been bent!!I use mainly metal needles and have ruined several over the years!!I often seem to connect with the odd sewing needle though - the pointy-end of my embroidery scissors got me the other day - that really hurt!!Fortunately my leg and not by derriere!![:00]Happy Knitting - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
Go to Top of Page

tyffaneesue
Gabber Extraordinaire

572 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  2:27:09 PM  Show Profile Send tyffaneesue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a similar experience as a teen, with (as I recall) a metal needle. Good thing, as a wooden needle might have broken, and wouldn't you like to explain THAT to the people at the emergency room?
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  2:27:37 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time some nearly 30 years ago, my mother convinced me to make an elaborate crocheted afghan, which was then embroidered in cross stitch, for one of my phoney aunts (Ma didn't have any first cousins so we roped in a couple of semi-fakes)

The pattern was either leisure arts or bernat, I disremember, but it was pretty famous at the time--the embroidery made it appear to be a wedding ring quilt. You were supposed to make the background in one piece, but having just done the infamous flag afghan, there was no way. I transferred the whole idea to hexagons, crocheted the edges and then embroidered the pieces.

Now remember, I'm a little teensy bit anal. The back has to look good on any embroidery. On an afghan it has to be perfect. People will see. I never carried a color over even one stitch and I hid every single end as if in a Russian join, by hiding the ends inside the base white yarn. Needless to say, sometimes this required a certain amount of force to accomplish. Some good ways through the afghan, working with a big, heavy, SHARP crewel needle to accomplish the perfect finishing, the needle jammed and then slipped--causing me to stab myself absolutely dead one in the center of my left nipple. Sharp needle and nearly full strength--it went in about 1/4 inch--no mere prick.

I can now speak from personal experience--sado-masochism is NOT my thing.

Naturally I made some sort of strangled shrieky-screamy-gurgle and clutched my boob as I bent over in extremis.
My husband, thinking his 28 year old wife had suffered a heart attack leaped to my care, realizing from the bloody needle and my cursing what had happened about halfway across the room.
He tripped over his own feet, laughing and fell on the floor.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Llinn,
Hahahahaha...I'm sorry to laugh at your pain but you write such funny story. I hope there has not been a repeat performance.

Knittin' harmony,
Erika
Go to Top of Page

Wonk
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  7:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wonk's Homepage Send Wonk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh, Llinn! And I thought mine was bad! Ouch ouch ouch.

Mine wasn't so much an accident as it was clumsiness. I keep my knitting in a mesh basket and I was carrying it to my bedroom. I'm never very precise when I walk through my house, because, honestly, I don't really care if I run into doorways as long as I rebound through them. However, this is not a very good idea when you're holding a mesh bag full of sharp needles. Needless to say, I ran into my doorpost and a dull size-4 needle went about 1/3 inch into my thigh.

And then I almost passed out.

I've been careful not to repeat that.

Wonk
http://wonkknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  7:59:26 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really felt the pain just then reading your story, Llinn!![:00]Was your DH hurt too ? Poetic justice if so!! Happy Knitting - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  11:22:30 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was a teenager, I was knitting in the round and dropped one of my DPNs. Being a very quick person in my youth, I reached down to catch the needle before it hit the ground. I managed to push one point of the vertically-oriented needle into my palm and the other into the carpet. When I lifted my hand, the needle was hanging from it, the point embedded in my palm.... OUCH! (I still use DPNs but I have been careful about falling needles ever since--I still have a scar where the needle left a hole.)

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

nanetteb
Chatty Knitter

220 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  12:31:49 AM  Show Profile Send nanetteb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh ouch! I'm glad I've never managed to puncture myself.

My main knitting injuries have been from tripping myself with my yarn. It seems like every time I get up from knitting, at least one skein of yarn is tangled around my foot and mayhem ensues. This of course is even more humiliating occasionally when I do it at friend's houses or once, getting out of the car!

Nanette
http://knittingincolor.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  08:23:41 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This didn't happen to me, but to our LYS owner...she has proof in the form of an xray type picture hanging in her shop.

Candy (name changed to protect the innocent!) was out shopping one day. Her project, a sock, was tucked into the driver side door pocket of her car. She got out of the car, went walking toward a store and was surprised to see her knitting following her across the parking lot. She looked down and saw a needle protruding from her calf, knitting still attached. She went back to the car and tried to remove it, but it wouldn't come out. After attempting to drive herself to the emergency room, she realized she could not maneuver her leg well enough to drive. She called a friend who came and took her to the ER. MDs and nurses all gathered around to see the lovely young lady with the DPN sticking out of her leg. Then they attempted to remove it...it wouldn't come out! They xrayed and determined the best way to proceed. Some time later, they managed to remove the offending needle and Candy recovered with no lasting problems. Her biggest complaint? She uses 4 DPN sets, not 5, and she was unable to work on her sock while in the ER!

If you're ever in Kenosha WI, check out Fiddlehead Yarns. You can see the picture there.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

zehava
Chatty Knitter

Canada
335 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  08:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit zehava's Homepage Send zehava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL... this whole thread is making me laugh.

i've been there! i still have the mark to prove it.

i generally knit while in bed. about 6 months ago i settled into bed with a sock-in-progress and my SO settled on the computer (in my room) at the same time. we chatted for a while and then he requested i come over and take a look at some funny thing he found.

so i grudgingly get up to look (i was so comfy), i just haphazardly discarded the sock-in-progress in my dismay at having to leave my comfy bed.

by the time i sat back down on my bed i had forgotten where i left my knitting. but it was found very fast... by my thigh. ouch. i had a size US 1 dpn sticking out of my thigh.

of course, this brought on more laughter... i guess i did look pretty silly with a dpn sticking out of my thigh. the kids even came running out of bed to take a look.

it popped out easily enough. i bandaged the damage and it healed up quickly enough.

of course, now i make darn sure to put socks-in-progress out of the reach of my butt/thighs when i'm not working on them.

Llinn--- omg... i am just howling in laughter at your story. but... ouch ouch ouch!!! i hope there wasn't any lasting injury!!

http://zehava.blogspot.com[:00]
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  08:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OUCH!

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was sitting on the floor, knitting, in front of the TV a couple years ago. At the time, I was using metal straights in about a size 6. I stood up, still holding the needles, and one fell out and made a nose dive for the skin just beside my shin. Blood began spewing everywhere! I still have the scar where it pierced my leg. My husband and son often re-tell the story since it was obviously very comical to them!

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

v-allknit
Seriously Hooked

India
741 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:51:38 AM  Show Profile Send v-allknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have never had any injuries till now. i am very scared of injuries may be coz i have seen so many kids getting injured by small household things. i have made my kids cautious about my needles and my knitting. this is one reason i am scared of working with DPNS (had posted a topic about this too) and i learnt here at KR how to use magic looop and now i work that way, esp when starting with less number of stitches for shawls/dollies.

shruti

My finished projects

My blog
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  1:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not long after I started knitting, I was trying out a basic lace thing on size 3 straight needles. My son was around 2 years old. He was running around and being a bouncy 2 year old boy. He wanted something to eat, so I set my knitting on the chair I was in and went to the kitchen. Then I heard a cry. He had bounced onto the chair, which I had told him not a moment earlier to be careful with. The needle stabbed about 1/4" below his eye. I was traumatized. A quick cleaning and a band-aid made him feel better, but I cried for a while. I felt so awful. I don't think I knit for the next couple days. But he was obviously fine, so I eventually got over it . . . mostly. I am more careful when I set needles down. I at least make sure the points are not up. He is 7 now, and he is a lot more careful too.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Word to the wise: if you stick an unused DPN behind your ear, remove it before you go to bed. I once forgot I had a needle there, got in bed, plopped down on a pillow and stabbed myself in the temple.

I didn't puncture the skin, but, man, it hurt!
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2757 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  6:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working with some size 8 US dp's now, and you ALL have me scared to death!!! LOL

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  8:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall someone here posting a while back about falling onto a size 13 needle. It pierced through the skin between her finger and thumb. That is one massive needle to get punctured with. I just can't remember who posted it though.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  9:54:35 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never been seriously wounded by my knitting needles, although I have sewn up a finger or two on the sewing machine.

We need a medal for knitters wounded in action--how about a Purple Swatch with a picture of EZ in the center?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by