Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When Needles Attack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:37:02 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything healed up well in the long run and I eventually successfully breastfed 3 boys. (sequentially not simultaneously)

I am the living breathing embodiment of murphy's law though, and we have had other mipple disasters in our house. My husband is the only man I know who understands breastfeeding intimately. Feeding my oldest was like hooking up to a turbo charged breast pump. That kid could pull about 100 lbs of vacuum. When he was about 6 months old I was late leaving the store one day and then had to race through the grocery before I went home. Since nursing took a solid 40 minutes, I tried the pacifier trick to buy time. 20 minutes later, the fussy baby waa working himself up to a truly righteous hissy fit. We drove home from the grocery with me thrusting the pacifier in his mouth and catching it one handed as he spit it into the air.

We came rolling through the door and my husband, fresh from his bath is sitting in his recliner naked next to the wood stove. He's got it cranking and the temperature in our little house up to 85 or so. I dumped fruious baby in daddy's lap to de-suit while I got my coat off and dumped the groceries on the counter

Baby has worked himself into a true temper fit. Daddy is mocking his baby as he fishes the kid out of his snow suit and sweater. Baby sees a nipple and lunges.

I am not exagerating one bit when I say that my husband's eyes not only crossed but changed places. Baby has hold of Dad's nipple and is beating his little fist on Dad's chest trying to get milk to come down. Dad is speaking in a very high pitched voice at this point because he can't detach kid from nipple and "It hurts, dammit, how do I get him off?"

Snotty mean Daddy wound up with a blood blister on his nipple for 2 weeks. Baby cussed at me for half an hour. Good thing I couldn't speak baby. Boy was that kid pissed.

He's 24 now and he still gets crabby if someone messes with his food. You don't want to know what happens over a box of lemon bars.

LLinn
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  07:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owwwwowwwowwwwww. All of these stories are painful.

My wonderful friend Claudia inpaled herself on a filet crochet hook several years ago. It was officially not good (hooks complicate things), and the removal was very traumatic. She knits a lot of socks now and does far fewer crochet projects.

Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Read poetry, silly: http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

knitofrage
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile Send knitofrage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This same scenario occurred on "The Closer" last night--did anyone see it? Kyra Sedgewick's character was on administrative leave and had a bunch of knitting projects and books lying around--her boyfriend sat on the pointy end of the needles by accident. I was LOL because I thought of this thread.
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ann, I love the wound medal idea! Our very own purple heart! It makes me want to sit on my needles so I can have one!

chris (who uses too many exclamation points!!!!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  09:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris

Ann, I love the wound medal idea! Our very own purple heart! It makes me want to sit on my needles so I can have one!

chris (who uses too many exclamation points!!!!)

Oh my gosh, that could be so funny. I would love it if it had one of those 50s era warning pictures, a needle in some precarious place with little exclamation points radiating out of it or something. Or a woman looking woeful and trying to knit with the needle that has impaled her hand.

Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Read poetry, silly: http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  10:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have somehow managed not to be injured in sewing or knitting by the primary tools. I have never sat on a needle or sewn through my finger on the sewing machine.

However, I do manage routinely to impale myself on handsewing needles in the manner of the chinese bamboo torture, where they place bamboo skewers or sliver under the fingernails.....that one is lovely.

Llinn, in our house, DH routinely offers a nip to the nursing child, saying, Here's some Daddy milkee. I can say that my DS was more gullible than DD. DD just laughs at him....cause DH has a bit of a hairy chest, so that makes it more interesting.....

I have also sliced myself with the rotary cutter, boy you only do that once....

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  10:56:41 AM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy!! I'm only a big clutz when it comes to stairs, I can fall UP and down at the drop of a hat. I've never been wounded by a knitting needle, crochet hook, sewing needle or even by the sewing machine. I guess I better be quiet about it because there is always a first time. LLinn you had me laughing so hard that I was crying and could just about finishing reading your post. It does a soul good to laugh like that once in a while. Thank you all for a great subject and I certainly hope that anyone that has been injured by these products has recuperated nicely and no one else injures themselve. Sue
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  6:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a picture of our son trying to nurse on daddy's nose. We'll bring it out to embarass him with when he gets engaged.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  11:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have honestly never (so far) injured myself on a pair of needles. Have accidentally came close to sitting on a couple of pairs (sorry grandmum) but never broke any.

My grandmum taught me to always to stick my working needles in those green styro foam blocks (used for floral arranging), on a table or stand, when my working needles needs to be set down. I periodically still do that but point protectors are more practical.

Last night, I had my rollup aluminum needles case opened on my bed when my 9 year old son suddenly came barreling in; jumping onto my bed. Needles went flying everywhere and in his vain attempt to avoid stepping on anything; he bent one of the 3's needles[**].

Before I can ask him if he was okay, he quickly tried to unkink the bent needle; resulting in him mangling the shaft. I don't care about the aluminums; but I would've murdered him if he broke any of my wooden/bone ones.

I think from now on I'm going to have to lock myself in a room to work on gauge testing. My son always gets excited when he sees me testing new yarn because he like to sample the new yarn too. For that I forgave him for bending my 3's.

Elsie W[meow]

Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a sewing machine needle go right through my finger, missing the bone because it got just barely deflected off the side of the nail.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

Schachkoenigin
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  1:07:30 PM  Show Profile Send Schachkoenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"This of course is even more humiliating occasionally when I do it at friend's houses or once, getting out of the car!"

How about at Youth Group? I once tracked yarn all the way across the youth group room before I noticed what had happened.
I also one stabbed a comparative (I'd seen her once or twice, and I didn't know her name) stranger with a DPN. It didn't break the skin, though.
Go to Top of Page

MsTarzan
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  11:51:17 PM  Show Profile Send MsTarzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK - I usually lurk but this has brought me out of hibernation. I did pretty much the same thing as Gelliott. It is nice to know that I am not a total klutz.

I was knitting a sock (on 2mm needles) while waiting for my daughter to finish her ballet exam rehersal. I dropped a needle, grabbed for it, and caught it between my hand and the wooden bench I was sitting on. It got stuck in the skin on the left hand side of my right ring finger, just above the palm. Didn't go all the way through, thankfully, but did leave a BIG scratch on the bench and the needle wound up shaped like a boomerang.

It bled a bit, was sore for a while, but now I'm back to full knitting strength. I was most proud of the fact that I didn't disintegrate into loud profanity.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

StrawberryAnne
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  04:15:43 AM  Show Profile Send StrawberryAnne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, this has been a very serious subject ever since I read a letter to the editor in a knitting magazine about 10 years ago (can't remember which mag... sorry!). It was from a mother who had been knitting on the couch, and got up to answer the doorbell, putting her knitting down on the couch. Her three sons were playing on the floor, and she suddenly heard a terrible scream. Two of them had started rough-housing and had thrown themselves onto the couch. Her knitting needle impaled itself straight into one son's back, entering his spinal cord. He's now paralysed from that point down, and she was writing to warn other mothers of the great danger knitting needles actually are.

I cried when I read that. I had never thought of my needles that way, but of course it is perfectly possible. I am very very careful now where I lay my needles, and I simply never leave them on a piece of furniture, even if I am the only one in the house. It's just such a sobering thought, what could happen if you forget they are there.
Go to Top of Page

tamdoll@comcast.net
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  05:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit tamdoll@comcast.net's Homepage Send tamdoll@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I couldn't reply to this post but I am, too, a victim of carelessly leaving needles around where they shouldn't be. I always sit on my front steps and knit in the summer while my kids are playing outside.
Two summers ago, I set them aside when I got up for something and promptly sat on them when I returned to the steps. It was horrifying to stand up and see a needle sticking straight out of my thigh. It was even more horrifying when I had to explain to the doctor as he cleaned it out and looked it over.
Tammy
tamdoll@comcast.net
http://tamdoll.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marnag@sbcglobal.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  05:45:05 AM  Show Profile Send marnag@sbcglobal.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to think people actually pay lotsa $$$ to have their nipples pierced! [:00]
Go to Top of Page

molly-o
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  05:46:32 AM  Show Profile Send molly-o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I seem to not be the only one to have sustains knitting related injuries, I will share with you a motto to live by:

Practise safe knitting:

Look before you sit!

Cheers,
Go to Top of Page

Skiqueen@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  06:49:58 AM  Show Profile Send Skiqueen@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG, I remember with real horror the day that I hurried into my bedroom closet, where EVERYTHING is packed, piled, and put away in great haste. Shocked, and truly believing that I had been shot in the leg, I looked down (in the dark) and in horror to see a thick, red ribbon of fresh blood traveling down the length of my calf. Not fully comprehending what had happened, I finally realized that I had just about run, at full speed, into the business end of a size 15 wooden needle (scarf still attached and fortunately unblemished), which left a 3/8 of an inch puncture wound, reminding me (once again!) 1) to put things where they belong, 2) slow down and turn on the light, and 3) that a knitter's life is always interesting!
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  06:54:52 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These stories are making me cringe. Some are making me cringe and laugh. Fortunately, I've had no injuries from knitting needles (so far). I wanted to remind people of this story, though...another way in which a needle has been found to be dangerous. I've not heard of a similar story since.

Wendy :)
Go to Top of Page

leslie5
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  08:07:19 AM  Show Profile Send leslie5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beware when you're knitting in the car. If the air bags deploy, you're in trouble. Leslie Ehrlich

LESLIE EHRLICH
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  08:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On WendyB's story, Mokey's quoted!!!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page