Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Superstitions/Old Wive's Tales
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mackeila
Chatty Knitter

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  6:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mackeila's Homepage  Send Mackeila a Yahoo! Message Send Mackeila a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found out tonite that there are a few superstitions/old wive's tales about knitting =) I guess I shoulda known, there are web pages with lists of different ones, about different things, places, etc. Here are some I found:

** It's bad luck to leave a project unfinished. The intended recepient will get bad luck from the unfinished item.
** Stabbing your needles though your yarn balls brings bad luck to anyone who wears something made from that yarn.
** Don't knit a pair of socks for your boyfriend or he'll walk away from you.
** If you knit one of your own hairs into a garment, it will bind the recipient to you.
** Knitting for children you may have in the future, but before you are pregnant, is bad luck (it may prevent one from getting pregnant, or bring ill health to the baby).

~ Lisa Harrison ~
Knitting Newbie =)

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  7:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what will happen if you combine tehse two:
** If you knit one of your own hairs into a garment, it will bind the recipient to you.

Read my blog, or buy my handdyed yarn and handmade stitchmarkers.
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He walks in circles?
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, it turns into break up/get back together/break up/get back together...

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:11:07 PM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add to that the stabbing the ball of yarn with the needles..hehehe! sounds like knitting voodoo to me!

Angela
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, that ball of yarn is my point protector to keep my stuff from falling off! LOL

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:28:20 PM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adalton124

Add to that the stabbing the ball of yarn with the needles..hehehe! sounds like knitting voodoo to me!

I wonder if I sent something to a certain ex-wife/husband that has been stabbed........?

Kristin

I'm only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray that I use, and the friends that I have!
Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:31:16 PM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROFLOL...too funny!!
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  05:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are great.....BUT I'm a lil' concerned about the unfinished projects.... I better get busy... especially the cardigan I was making for myself....
Go to Top of Page

LizzieK8
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  05:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit LizzieK8's Homepage Send LizzieK8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mackeila
** It's bad luck to leave a project unfinished. The intended recepient will get bad luck from the unfinished item.

Nice to know that UFO issues are timeless!
quote:
** Stabbing your needles though your yarn balls brings bad luck to anyone who wears something made from that yarn.

Yeah, it splits and weakens the yarn and the bad luck is the knitted item falls apart!
quote:

Hmmmm a promise or a threat?

This was great fun...thanks for sharing![:00]

Lizzie
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chain3turn/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  05:56:35 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Maybe this belongs in the off-topic area, but I have a long list of politicians that I'm now planning to knit for.... leaving my needles stuck through the ball of yarn. As for the contradictory superstitions, the politicians are already walking around in circles.
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[:00] [:00] [:00]
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  04:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never leave a project, even for a moment, on the reverse side but have no reasonable explaination, no Irish wive's tale, to haunt me. Maybe I'm thinking, in some deep part of my brain that rarely sees the light of reason, that leaving a project anywhere but at the start of a new, right-side, row may damn the knitting to wrongness?

Or, maybe I'm just nuts.

Jane http://janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  04:18:45 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually start a project (not clothing) without a recipient in mind. For instance, one shawl that I was finishing caught the eye of my middle daughter. She asked who it was for and I said I didn't know yet. She thought for a minute and said, "It would look really nice with my grey shirt to wear to church." It's hers, now. But if I hadn't finished it, who would get the bad luck?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  08:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe in superstions mainly b/c I am having my house painted and I have no choice but to walk under ladders. So unless I am bucking to give myself 300 years of bad luck I have to be a non-believer.

Besides I have thick curly hair and that isn't blending into any knitting project. In fact, given the look of my hair it may produce the bad luck of public embarassment if you catch my drift. ;-)

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  09:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder what will happen if you combine tehse two:

I'm assuming the second one would cancel out the first one in that case!

My sassy knitting blog is here: http://www.rubyplaid.com
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  4:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These made me smile - especially number 3

Interesting Latvian beliefs about mittens

1. Mittens and socks should be knitted in summer, then they will be warm, soft and strong.

2. One should not wash new mittens when there is an old moon,
they will lose their color and let through the wind.

3. One should not wipe their nose in a mitten. Whoever does that never gets rich.

4. One should not give their hand to another with a mitten on, otherwise they will give away their luck.

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  8:53:02 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is a great read ! I never like to put my knitting aside after a knit row - have to do the purl as well!I don't do a lot of ribbing obviously!!I also don't like taking green wool out with me to knit with on trains,buses etc.I must have inherited the latter fom my Great-aunt Priscilla who would never have ANYTHING green in the house - not even holly at Christmas - Thankfully I'm not that eccentric!!(maybe just a little!)Happy Knitting - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't weave in the tail from the cast on until the project is complete. It's the last thing I always do. No idea why, I just do.

Why not knit with green when traveling, Lucy?

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:49:44 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do I completely defy superstitions??

I walk under ladders, I touch the paint, if it says DON'T, I do.

Why, Why, Why??? I am so compelled. In my own mind, I think I know why.KL[:00]
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:56:08 AM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wearing a green t-shirt and a black sloppy-joe top decorated with green motifs the day I had a serious accident which put me in hospital for several months and on crutches for 2 years - I feel that probably is the reason - I do use green in my knitting but I guess it has unpleasant associations with travelling.(I was hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing).I'm fine now and at least I can knit!!!!Happy Knitting - Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.